SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Going to look at a boat

4K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  LakeMi 
#1 ·
Well I found a boat I'm going to look at. It to cheap not to look at it. It in the water and has been all year with out being moved once this year. It's a 1979 26' ranger. Anything I need to know? What should I look for? The owner won't be there but he is giving me the combo to get in. He said that everything is in working order and the "head" sail is 2 years old. It has a 9hp outboard. Did I say the boat is cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#29 ·
I agree with smurph, but in some ways, since this is your first sailboat, you won't really know what your wants/needs/desires are/will become.

Don't forget to test the engine. See if it will start in 2 or 3 pulls (even if it's an electric start). Have you worked a little outboard before? Make sure the engine puts out a steady stream of cooling water out the telltale. Keep the engine down at idle, and put it in gear, then slowly increase the throttle to make sure it doesn't stall. Can you see the prop spinning (or the water being pushed by the prop)?

Also, the soft floor is throughout the entire boat. That includes the cabin top (the "deck") and the cockpit floor, plus the cabin. Make sure you don't wear squishy shoes, or take your shoes off as you're walking around on the boat. One of the boats I was aboard had BIG soft spots. I had never experienced one before that, but once I hit one, I understood what they were. You'll know as well.

You won't always be able to tell if the chainplates are rotten. So look for signs of water leaks, like wet/stained wood (many chainplates attach to wooden bulkheads) or soft wood around the chainplates. Take pictures of anything you think is questionable, and come back and ask.

Since the owner won't be there, I think you're in luck. This is a great opportunity to start familiarizing yourself with sailboats, and you can take as long as you want to do the inspection. In one of my earlier posts, I linked to the Catalina 25 self-assessment list and the thread from here about self-assessing a boat. Read those both 3-4 times. Take the Catalina list with you, and walk through it step-by-step, even if you're ready to run screaming from the boat the moment you are aboard. You'll be glad you took the time on this boat, because on the next boat the owner may be hovering over you, trying to sell you and to steer you away from problem spots (or at least distract you from them).

Be sure to bring a flashlight or two (I donated one of mine to Poseidon's toolchest when I was inspecting a boat), a notebook, and a digital camera.

#30 ·
Honestly if the discussion on loose footed sails is going way over your head then I'd suggest slowing down, spending more time learning about sailing (through classes, local clubs, hanging out at the docks) and assessing what you want or need.

The problem with moving too fast is that you can easily end up with a boat that has negative value and be stuck with either a massive "Fix it" project or figuring out how to dump it. Neither option is going to be any fun.

The Ranger 26 is a good boat design. Figuring out if this Ranger 26 is a good one takes some skills that it sounds like you don't have. Any mechanically inclined person who can be objective can get those skills by reading a few books and looking at a lot of boats.

#31 ·
I bought the second boat I looked at so you never know what "deals" are there. A "too good to be true" price is relative. If he was trying to get $5K for a 79' and has to let it go for $2K that is about right. It hasn't moved so give it a good look.

The fact that he is letting you look without him there is telling...he trusts the boat condition to be as described. Check below for moisture, in all the storage areas, under cushions, bilge(of course). Run the engine if possible, look at the rigging for corrosion and such.

It is not rocket science but you will inevitably miss something...LOL

Have fun;)

Reactions: jimgo
#33 · (Edited)
How was the boat?

I hope you did better than the first boat I looked at. I had my suspicions that the pics the guy sent me were out of date, so I went a day early to check out the exterior in advance. The boat was clearly trashed - pics must have been 10 years old - so I canceled my appointment and never looked inside.

Like I said, I hope you had better luck.

OTOH, while we were at the marina we spoke to the local Catalina dealer, who sized us up and told us he thought the C250 would be perfect for us. He had a used one for sale, but it had issues so we passed. After 5 (winter) months of looking at boats up to 36' from Norfolk to Kingston, NY, we ended up buying a C250, but it was in much better condition than the one he had. It was a FSBO in the same marina.

#36 ·
Yeah, plus the fact that the boat is in Anacortes, and OP is on Lake Michigan.

#37 ·
I confess alarm bells go off in my head as well at the phrase, 'Too cheap to not take a look at'.

Sometimes $0 is too much for a boat. If it needs repairs that you can't handle, you'll have an albatross around your neck that you'll be paying insurance and slip fees to own. A poorly maintained boat is also a dangerous boat to sail. Many experienced sailors will tell you the most dangerous trips are deliveries of poorly maintained boats. Stuff goes wrong quickly on those sails.

As an inexperienced sailor you won't be able to tell the difference, most likely, between a bargain and a death trap.

Is there anyone more experienced who can help you in your search? Can you wait and sail through clubs while you build your sailing kitty into a price range that includes more well-maintained boats?

Good luck in your search - I just finished one myself so I've been there. Lots of frogs, very few turn into princes. E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.