Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Raising sail on mooring.

I sail single-handed on a Cal33 regularly and it is always a challenge keeping the boat in the wind while trying to raise the main. When I race solings we always hoist both sails before dropping the mooring. Can I do that with the Cal too, assuming the boat boat is pointing into the wind on the mooring (not affected by current). If so, what are the pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Raising sail on mooring.

Sure you can... as long as you're sure you can fall off, gain steerage and sail off cleanly without hitting nearby moored boats downwind.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-06-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

cons on raising an overlapping jib while you're still head-to-wind are that the forward part may fill onto the "wrong" side and carry the bow where you didn't want to go (if you don't mind either tack for departure, then this doesn't matter. the Pros are that with the jib, once you're ready to bear off from the mooring and start sailing, all you have to do is back the jib by pulling whichever sheet is opposite the way you want to turn.

Keeping her into the wind with main up while moored can be tricky, she'll yaw back and forth and try to 'sail' prematurely. Sometimes keeping the mainsheet semi-taut helps, then the main acts like a steadying sail and heads you back up as soon as it starts to fill near the leech.

Some boats try to start sailing when you don't want them to, others are slow to start sailing (particularly with main alone, you may have to ease the sheet a lot) even when you want her to. I found it best to just "use the force, Luke.." and wait til she starts swinging the "right" way, then drop the mooring pennant, trim your jib first with main eased, then trim main, and off you go.

And while raising the main, same idea. don't heave while she's partially filled, wait til she swings back to head to wind, haul up quick, stop if she bears off again, wait til she rounds back up, then haul hard on the halyard whenever she cooperates and luffs the main, however briefly.

You'll get the feel of it in time. (easy for me to say, I'm at a desk which generally doesn't yaw)
blowinstink likes this.

Last edited by nolatom; 09-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

I do it all the time with a 55 ft boat. Usually easier to do things just under main with the jib ready to fly.

I keep the jib reefed at 90% so as to make it manageable while maneuvering.

I preset the reef in the main so that I am raising the right amount of sail

I wait until she is just staring onto the favored tack before I release.

Only time I do it under engine is if I am likely to hit another boat because of very light or heavy winds or a current that will override my ability to sail at low speeds.

If you don't practice on the nice days how are you going to do it at night, in an emergency, with a broken engine?

Last edited by Yorksailor; 09-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

You can push the boom forward and reverse off the mooring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Another 33ft Boater...Do it all the time

We do it pretty much all the time unless it is blowin' like stink. Here is our process:
  • Move port side pennant to the starboard side cleat
  • Bring p/u stick through front triangle onto other (out) side of pulpit
  • Raise main
  • Back main/boom and with wheel, turn boat in direction we want to sail off.
  • Release boom, go to bow, cast off pennants and p/u buoy away from boat
  • Return to cockpit, bring in main sheet to trim sail and start sailing.
  • Once we are clear of our mooring neighbors and into more open water, then we unfurl jib.

DrB
Old 09-06-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

You absolutely do not want to raise a jib of this size when you still face the task for going forward to drop the pennant. Doing so runs the risk of personal injury from the flailing jib clew, or being pushed overboard when the sail backs. A good rule is to never go forward of the mast when the jib is luffing.

Drop off under main as others have described, then raise the jib.
Old 09-06-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

It REALLY depends on the mooring field spacing and weather

In Northport depending on wind direction and strength I may have less than one boat length and 6 seconds between dropping the pendant AND SPRINTING back to the wheel to start sailing

On other days there is much more space and things happen real slow

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-06-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road

I learned to sail on a Soling in Boston Harbor.

Slack the mainsheet, raise the main and let it luff. If you want to sail off on starboard tack, sit to starboard with the tiller pulled toward you. Have the jib sheeted on the starboard winch and let it backfill which drives your bow to port. (it will not be flogging because it is full). As the bow starts moving, drop the mooring and tighten the mainsheet. When close hauled, release the starboard jib sheet and haul in on the port sheet.

If you want to leave on port tack, substitute port for starboard in the above and same thing.

The tricky part is dropping the mooring if you are by yourself. You may have to tie the tiller over after the main is up, go to the mast to raise the jib while it is sheeted where you want it, step forward to drop the pennant and go back to the tiller.

It sounds more complicated than it is.
Old 09-06-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Thanks all. I probably wouldn't let out the Jib on the mooring. I have no problem letting the jib out while underway as it is on a furler.