SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   series drogue or para anchor? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103400-series-drogue-para-anchor.html)

ralphmacey 09-06-2013 02:59 PM

series drogue or para anchor?

I plan on a first time crossing the Atlantic from East to West, northern Florida to Bermuda to Azores to Europe starting in late May, early June. I have a Hallberg Rassy 352 and would like advice on good sails to have for the trip as well as recommendations on a series drogue or a para anchor. Any other "must haves" would be welcome too.

killarney_sailor 09-06-2013 03:15 PM

Re: series drogue or para anchor?

I have a parachute sea anchor but wish I had series drogues since you are much more likely to be in the conditions where you might use them (say 40 to 50 knots). The parachute system seems more helpful in conditions above 50 knots sustained which you are highly unlikely to get on your trip.

Do you have an inner stay on your boat that you can use for a small staysail or storm jib? Also backup for your self-steering makes a great deal of sense. Hand steering for days with a small crew really sucks. Don't ask how I know.

gershel 09-06-2013 03:43 PM

I think you're actually planning on going west to east, unless my chart is upside-down. LOL
Marc

smackdaddy 09-06-2013 03:49 PM

Series drogue.

jackdale 09-06-2013 04:04 PM

The drogues and sea anchors are used differently. The drogue goes off the stern to slow you down, the sea anchor goes off the bow to keep your bow into the seas / winds. The HR could use either.

I would not use a drogue on a boat that was easily pooped.

smurphny 09-06-2013 04:42 PM

I have a sea anchor which I hope remains right where it is underneath a lot of stuff in a locker. I guess the best option is to have both. There was a study, I believe by the USN (could be wrong) that weighed in on the side of drogues but to me putting the stern of a boat to the sea is WAY counter intuitive. A good book is The Pardy's Storm Tactics has lots of good information on using a sea anchor.

smackdaddy 09-06-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurphny (Post 1085240)
I have a sea anchor which I hope remains right where it is underneath a lot of stuff in a locker. I guess the best option is to have both. There was a study, I believe by the USN (could be wrong) that weighed in on the side of drogues but to me putting the stern of a boat to the sea is WAY counter intuitive. A good book is The Pardy's Storm Tactics has lots of good information on using a sea anchor.

It took me a LONG time to become a believer in the JSD for that very reason (stern-to waves seems wrong). I'd read the Pardy book as well and saw the "common sense" in the bow-to approach.

However, after lots of research, and especially after reading Hal Roth's "Handling Storms at Sea", a more recent heavy weather book than the Pardy's, with its very meticulous comparison of the various tactics...I became a believer.

I also agree with Jack above on the issue of how your boat is set up to handle a boarding wave. Ours is pretty well set up to deal with such an occurrence (relatively small and shallow cockpit, top-down companionway entry - not vertical with large hatchboards, pretty good drains, etc.) - to a degree of course.

Anyway, all this is certainly hypothetical for me. And I hope it stays that way. But I definitely trust Hal Roth's take. So the JSD for me.

Brent Swain 09-06-2013 06:33 PM

Any parachute or drogue works better from the stern. It eliminates rudder damage, by the boat backing down on the rudder. Be careful when you buy a parachute. Mine looked shiny, like nylon ,so I assumed it was. Turned out to be cotton, and lasted an hour and a half before it shredded.
Now I use a galerider type , which I made out of car seat belts, using a big mooring ball as a mold. Friends had good results in the Queens Birthday storm off New Zealand with one. They found it worked best 80 feet behind their boat, which eliminates the need for a huge amount of rode.
You can eliminate chafe by using chain for the first few feet of rode , til it clears your transom. Running it off one quarter eliminates the roll when the wind lightens , but the swell remains. It is a lot easier to set and recover that way as well.

jackdale 09-06-2013 06:49 PM

Brent - would you run a stern mounted drogue on Derek Hatfield's boat?

http://spiritofcanada.net/wordpress2...d/images/5.jpg

I will admit the potential rudder damage is a huge downside to sea anchors.

JonEisberg 09-06-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 1085213)

I would not use a drogue on a boat that was easily pooped.

Might be a prudent approach, to avoid venturing too far offshore in a boat that was "easily pooped", to begin with :-)