Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road
Re: Looked at the Ranger 26

Thanks for the Reply's. I'm calling the guy today so we can talk about all the stuff not on the boat. Basically I'm going to tell him it's not worth much of anything but I won't even consider it unless all the stuff is there.

One thing I really liked is I can walk under the boom.

We didn't get to go in her but a few boats down was a nice 30' something that the guy paid $5500 for it. Me and the wife talked to the people 2 slips over for 45 min or more. That was good made my wife like the idea of staying there for the weekends. What's funny is this boat is in the marina I was planing on staying in. So we killed 2 birds by getting to check out the marina at the same time.
jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
You need to account for the sails and other parts. Sails are expensive. Blocks, winches, that sort of thing as well... expensive

I think it will clean up okay...I am not scared by the rust . A tiny bit of rust will stain acres of fiberglass. My old Volvo has rust and I drive that thing at 70 mph.

I almost walked away from my current boat. It was sitting in a storage yard in Jersey and looked like crap. Covered with black , well slime really. But underneath the dirt and neglect was a great boat. All it really cost me to commission her was time and elbow grease and a few parts off ebay. Not much really.
What boat do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-08-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
Just from that 1 boat I know if I wanted to get a boat to keep for some time it would be closer to the 30' side for the head room alone.

A Catalina 27 (as well as other 27-28') will offer way more room than this Ranger as well as full head space. That's why you need to look at a number of boats just for comparison purposes even if they are out of your price range.
jimgo likes this.
Old 09-08-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Here's a tip from my search - the longer I looked, the more I became convinced that (in the 0-$15,000 boat purchase range for a boat this size) increasing the boat purchase kitty by another $3000 typically eliminated a similar amount of parts and labor I was going to have to do myself. In this price range you often get what you pay for.

Not saying there aren't bargains out there. But a good rule of thumb is that most people overstate the asking price for their boat. If the price is really cheap, this guy might actually pay you to take it off his hands, and maybe for good reason.
Faster, TakeFive and jimgo like this.
Old 09-08-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

It sounds like this is a good deal but maybe not for you. If you want to be comfortable go up a little and get a 27-30'.
My US27 has 6' of standing room, a real head, and was turn key with winter storage included for $3500. It isn't going to be advertised as "like new" but it was cheap and is no less fun to sail than the $50K boat on the bay next to me
Old 09-08-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Now you and the wife are sleeping over at the marina??

Good God man, that changes everything....
Old 09-08-2013

Looked at the Ranger 26

That was always the plan. She wanted to get a popup camper but instead I suggested a bigger boat that we could stay on. She liked the idea better then staying at a camp ground. We don't need a lot on the boat to stay on. Still young enough that its not a bother to "rough" it. But I still would like more head room. Could I live with less for now. Yes

Last edited by LakeMi; 09-08-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That was always the plan. She wanted to get a popup camper but instead I suggested a bigger boat that we could stay on. She liked the idea better then staying at a camp ground. We don't need a lot on the boat to stay on. Still young enough that its not a bother to "rough" it. But I still would like more head room. Could I live with less for now. Yes
I would concur with others that you should go ahead and get a boat you are more comfortable on. However, even jumping from a $500 boat to a $5000 boat will not solve all of your problems. A $5000 Catalina 27 will probably still need plenty of upgrades, or equipment replaced to make it safe and comfortable. But at that price should be ready to sail as soon as you buy it. I also agree that you are not going to find many boats <27 feet that have standing head room. Keep in mind that it made a lot of difference to me going from crouching head room (Catalina 22) to just shy of standing head room (Bristol 27).
Old 09-08-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
My boat is an S2 7.9.
Old 09-08-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
...One thing I really liked is I can walk under the boom...
How do you know this without having the sail up?
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)