Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road
Re: Looked at the Ranger 26

I think so. I would have loved to buy a boat but if I wait I can get a nicer boat the fits our needs more. There are at least 5 new boats listed everyday it seams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013

I think I might have made him mad. When he tried to tell me it was a $4000 boat and I told him it might not be worth the price of winter storage.

Old 09-08-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
I think I might have made him mad. When he tried to tell me it was a $4000 boat and I told him it might not be worth the price of winter storage.
I can see why he might be a little upset. That's a pretty obnoxious thing to tell someone when you don't know anything about sailboats.

Your story is inconsistent. Either you like the boat and want to buy it, or you don't like it and walk away. This "I'll take it off your hands for free" stuff rarely goes over well unless the owner offers to give it to you for free.

It's very possible that this boat is worth nothing. But if so, you should politely walk away and not pursue it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-08-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I just don't know. It seems like you could spend $500 cash, a bunch of hours cleaning (never a bad thing anyway) and have a boat you could sail immediately. No, it won't be perfect (or even very nice) but you'll be out there sailing.

Until you own a boat and spend time on the water, sailing, working on boats and learning, you really have NO idea what you need or want.

You may find out that sailing isn't for you. In that case, NO boat is worth it. Or you may find that you love sailing and being on the water and want to spend a lot of $ on a boat. Either way I assure you that your first boat won't be your last.

I bet the outboard engine alone is worth $500.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2013

Looked at the Ranger 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

I just don't know. It seems like you could spend $500 cash, a bunch of hours cleaning (never a bad thing anyway) and have a boat you could sail immediately. No, it won't be perfect (or even very nice) but you'll be out there sailing.

Until you own a boat and spend time on the water, sailing, working on boats and learning, you really have NO idea what you need or want.

You may find out that sailing isn't for you. In that case, NO boat is worth it. Or you may find that you love sailing and being on the water and want to spend a lot of $ on a boat. Either way I assure you that your first boat won't be your last.

I bet the outboard engine alone is worth $500.

Good luck,
Barry
He called me and was stuck on $800. When I started listing all the stuff I knew was wrong he tried to tell me it was a $4000 boat and he needed to get $800 for it. Oh we'll. I would bet if it does not sell in another 3 weeks ill get a call back. It needs to be pulled by mid October. If not like everyone here has been telling me there are plenty of other boats out there.

Last edited by LakeMi; 09-08-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I can see why he might be a little upset. That's a pretty obnoxious thing to tell someone when you don't know anything about sailboats.

Your story is inconsistent. Either you like the boat and want to buy it, or you don't like it and walk away. This "I'll take it off your hands for free" stuff rarely goes over well unless the owner offers to give it to you for free.

It's very possible that this boat is worth nothing. But if so, you should politely walk away and not pursue it.
My story was not inconstant. I said from the get go after I looked at it that it didn't call to me. I also didn't pursue it, he called me. To me that sounds like he wants it gone. Then after we talk for a bit about what's wrong with it he starts trying to convince me it's a $4000 boat and I needed to pay him $800 for it. I told him that as it sits and not being able to see everything it might not be worth paying winter storage for me to find out that its going to cost me $5000 next year to fix it.

Lastly I don't need to know about sailboats to know what soft spots on the deck are and frayed ropes. Plus water inside the cabin is not a good thing on any boat.

I really don't see what's wrong with what I said! Sorry if you feel I crossed some line but I don't feel I did.

Old 09-08-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
...I really don't see what's wrong with what I said! Sorry if you feel I crossed some line but I don't feel I did.
No need to apologize. It's your right to offer whatever you want.

It's just that his argument appears to be that he has a $4000 boat, and has already made an 80% reduction in recognition of its condition. You're trying to argue for a 100% reduction.

Some here have pointed out this this might actually be a $4000-5000 boat that just needs some cleanup and minor refurbishing, in which case $800 is a great bargain. It's also possible that the boat's condition is so deteriorated that it's worth less than nothing, because of the high cost of disposing of worthless carcasses.

The only thing that can discern between these two extremes is the practiced eye of experienced sailors. Many here have offered to look over your pictures to help guide you in determining the value of this boat. It's your choice whether to take them up on it.
chuck53 likes this.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 09-08-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Takefive,

Go to your first post in this thread and see if he answered the questions. Seems to me the OP did think about those things and at the end of the day that is what he told the seller. So, he took your advise, and now you think it is obnoxious?

In my mind the OP is so far ahead of himself that this might be the best thing to happen to him. He REALLY does not know specifically what he wants, in the few days that he has been posting he has almost decided on four different boats (hell,three different classes of boats), and really they do not even know if sailing is going to be a good or bad family thing. Some want them to study the market for a while to figure it out. Some think that they should just buy a boat and find out. Somewhere in the middle is is the right answer.

I am glad that nobody in this thread has told him to start with a dingy so he will be a better sailor in the end. I always love that one, especially for a family of five!
Old 09-08-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post
Takefive,

Go to your first post in this thread and see if he answered the questions. Seems to me the OP did think about those things and at the end of the day that is what he told the seller. So, he took your advise, and now you think it is obnoxious?

In my mind the OP is so far ahead of himself that this might be the best thing to happen to him. He REALLY does not know specifically what he wants, in the few days that he has been posting he has almost decided on four different boats (hell,three different classes of boats), and really they do not even know if sailing is going to be a good or bad family thing. Some want them to study the market for a while to figure it out. Some think that they should just buy a boat and find out. Somewhere in the middle is is the right answer.

I am glad that nobody in this thread has told him to start with a dingy so he will be a better sailor in the end. I always love that one, especially for a family of five!
The obnoxious part is trying to bargain for a free boat by telling the owner how worthless his boat is. If it's that bad, just walk away.

For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would BUY a boat if he doesn't know what he wants and doesn't know whether his family would like it. The appropriate thing to do is to go see a bunch of boats (with the family, to gauge their interest/comfort) and meanwhile rent some boats.

Old 09-08-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

We at least agree on half of this.

As far as obnoxious, if the seller called him and pressed the issue, and he answered with what it was worth to him, that is his perogative. Based on what I saw he might have just got a free boat, which by the way are NEVER free! If it does not sell and has to be pulled and stored the seller is already going to be half way to 0.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.