Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road
Looked at the Ranger 26

The good it is cheap. Asking $800 probably could get it for $500
Has a Honda outboard that started on 4th pull and ran great!
Standing rigging looked good. All cables looked newer to me with no fraying or corrosion.
Running rigging was bad. Needed it all replaced
Had a roller furling
Tiller moved good and seamed good

The bad
I found a soft spot in the middle of the cockpit I can get under to fix.
Inside the cabin there was water in the middle on top of the keel and it was really rusty. I don't know of this on normal or not!
Cabin was small and I could not stand up. None of the cushions or sails were on the boat when I was there. There was a bad smell in the cabin with visible mold. Probable from sitting all summer closed up. I thing the siding top to get in leaks. Not head! No sink!

No battery so I do t know if any of the electronics work. It had a small solar panel on the upper door segment. Was something to tell speed and depth that was about it. Very basic.

Over all its not the boat for me! But I might think about it just to learn on for next summer. My biggest concern is all the rust on top of the keel. I would not want it falling off in some rough seas. How hard is it to replace the running rigging with new rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looked at the Ranger 26

The question you need to ask yourself if you are considering buying it "just for next summer" is: how will you get rid of it/sell it at the end of next summer? Are you willing to sink a bunch of money into a $500 boat and then sell it for $500? Just as an FYI, if you are over five feet, it is unlikely you are going to find many boats in this size range that you can stand up in. You should go look at some more boats, its likely that you can find a much better one for $1000-$2000 more that you'll actually end up with less money in in the end. IMHO
Old 09-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
The question you need to ask yourself if you are considering buying it "just for next summer" is: how will you get rid of it/sell it at the end of next summer? Are you willing to sink a bunch of money into a $500 boat and then sell it for $500? Just as an FYI, if you are over five feet, it is unlikely you are going to find many boats in this size range that you can stand up in. You should go look at some more boats, its likely that you can find a much better one for $1000-$2000 more that you'll actually end up with less money in in the end. IMHO
I know what your saying about a putting more money in up front. And I don't know how much I would put into that boat. Part of its problem is its very very very dirty. Just from that 1 boat I know if I wanted to get a boat to keep for some time it would be closer to the 30' side for the head room alone.

Any idea if that rust in top of the keel area is really bad?

Old 09-07-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

It could be that it is a diamond in the rough, and once you polish the dirt away it will be great, but..be very very cautious. As to the rust, I do not know the design of this particular boat, it could be from iron ballast encapsulated in the keel that has had water seep into it and rust, or it could be rusted keel bolts if it is a bolt on keel...neither of which inspires confidence, but it could be not a big deal [or a very VERY big deal..]. It could also just be water that has pooled and had things grow in it that LOOK like rust.

I hear you on the ~30' boat being the ideal for room, we got the 26' with only 5'3" headroom that we have due to our local lake have a 26' maximum length restriction. If we lived up on Lake Michigan, we definitely would have been looking for something more in the 35' range...provided we could afford and find a slip... I don't think that we could have found a better 26' boat FOR US though, there are tons of boats in our club, and I can't say that I get any twinges of envy towards any of them and I love walking towards ours!
Old 09-07-2013

What 26' boat do you have?

It is a bolt on keel. It is most defiantly rust. The whole this was rusty and you can't tell by the pic but there is water about 1/8" deep on top of it. I think it's coming in from the top hatch. You could tell the caulk was bad.

Old 09-08-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

A few questions:

Did you get an excited feeling when you saw the boat? Did it look pleasing to your eye?

Do you still feel like the price is "too good to be true"?

Did the boat look anything like the pictures in the ad? If not, what does this tell you about the trustworthiness of the seller?

How long has this boat been on the market? If the price is so good, why hasn't it sold already?

Do you want to go sailing right away, or spend weeks/months/years getting it into seaworthy shape first?

How much money are you willing to spend before you're willing to trust your life to this boat?

How much would you be willing to pay someone to take this boat away next year if you can't find anyone to buy it when you're done with it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-08-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

What's your time worth?

You can put a few hundred hours of work and a couple thousand into fixing the boat up and find decent sails for it and end up with a boat worth around $5000-$8000 in the right market.

By my math that gets you about $7/hour at best, probably closer to $0-1/hour in reality.

From what I can see this is a neglected boat hull with no useful running rigging, questionable standing rigging, might or might not have sails, and an outboard that doesn't sound that great either, all for about the value of the outboard engine.

For a little more money you can get a lot more boat.
Old 09-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

My advice? Walk away. Don't even consider it for next season. Want to prove it to yourself? Add up the costs. Running rigging isn't too expensive - expect $400-$500 if replacing it all. A portapotty (yes, you still need one occasionally) will set you back a few hundred, too. Maybe you can get one on craigslist, but don't count on it. Chasing after mold will be a problem, and you'll want to do it right so your wife and kids aren't exposed to mold. That's a good weekend (easily) and you'll also need solar vents or a dehumidifier. If you go the solar vent route, you're looking at $200 more (need 2 at that size). All of a sudden, the $500 boat has you spending another $1000-1500. You'll be amazed at the difference you can buy with that extra money. Most importantly, you'll be amazed at how much more ready the boat will be for your family and you to start enjoying her.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I've seen worse. The hard part is figuring out if it's a weekend or two of elbow grease and you have something sailable, or if you're just polishing a turd. FYI, my bilge was covered in a similar layer of rusty coloured crap, but it isn't rust, I have spent the last two days cleaning it up and now I can see clean bare fibreglass. Not a hint of rust on the keelbolts or anything else in there. The Ranger looks to have a very shallow bilge with no pump so any water that did get there is just going to stay there.
Did you get any photos of the rigging (running and standing), blocks, decks etc?
It's the bits you couldn't see (sails, cushions, battery) that are going to make/break it assuming everything else is OK.
If the cushions are gone then you are going to be looking at a thousand bucks if you do the work yourself, sails are going to be probably $1500 if they are shot. Running rigging for a 26' is only going to be a few hundred as long as the hardware is all good.
Also, you don't have to go to 30ft for something with standing room, my 27' has almost as much space a lot of 30' boats with standing headroom in the saloon at least.

Anyway, sounds like the boat didn't speak to you, so go look at some more, that's the fun part of buying a boat

Old 09-08-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

You need to account for the sails and other parts. Sails are expensive. Blocks, winches, that sort of thing as well... expensive

I think it will clean up okay...I am not scared by the rust . A tiny bit of rust will stain acres of fiberglass. My old Volvo has rust and I drive that thing at 70 mph.

I almost walked away from my current boat. It was sitting in a storage yard in Jersey and looked like crap. Covered with black , well slime really. But underneath the dirt and neglect was a great boat. All it really cost me to commission her was time and elbow grease and a few parts off ebay. Not much really.
AlaskaMC likes this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 09-08-2013 at 07:39 AM.