Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Learned something(s) today

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
Nice pic. As I'm really new to sailing so is your setup in that pic for going dead down wind or are you going off center and using the pole to hold the jib from coming over?

Not trying to hijack the thread. Sorry
Poling out the jib with a whisker pole is a common technique for sailing dead down wind... Not always the fastest way to get there, but in this case I was confined to a channel, so had no option but to sail directly before the wind...

That day actually turned out to be one of the most pleasant of my entire trip south a couple of years ago... I'd come back inside at Ponce Inlet the day before, primarily in order to be able to watch a couple of NFL playoff games :-)

The stretch of the ICW behind Cape Canaveral can be one of the best for doing some actual sailing when the breeze is right, and on this beautiful day I was blessed with a light to moderate wind straight out of the north. The channel runs pretty much arrow straight for miles and miles, and I wound up sailing wing & wing almost all the way from Melbourne down to around Vero... Would have been nice to have had just a bit more breeze, but it was still as close to as perfect a day as one could imagine...

It was late in the season, most snowbirds already further south by that time, but I was still passed by perhaps a half-dozen other boats running south... Every one of them under power, of course - their reward for eschewing a such a beautiful day of sailing was probably winding up 10 or 15 miles further down the road than I did that night... And, the opportunity to savor that diesel exhaust wafting into their cockpits for much of the trip...

Although, for those equipped with full-cockpit oxygen tents, perhaps not... :-)

Good luck, as you progress with your learning to sail, in the right conditions, sailing wing & wing can be a very fun way to sail..

jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
LakeMi (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Jim,

Two notes (at least) if you are going to dive under your boat on a choppy day wear a helmet. I kid you not. You should also have a serious shirt on - getting bounced against barnacles will shred you.
Stopper knots - tied them on the jib sheet so it can't run free and drop into the water.

Glad to see/hear you are out and about, and apparently undeterred in your dedication to stay that way.
Faster and jimgo like this.
Old 09-09-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Most of us will run over one of our own lines ONCE

I was lucky enough to do it with my pal on his boat...here is his main halyard

I wrapped and broke a stantion before we realized it was around the prop.
jimgo likes this.
Old 09-09-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Jon,

Who's driving the boat, Aiolos or Otto?

Beautiful photo!
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Jim, It's not your fault, there were serious gremlins on the Bay this weekend.

We sucked a plastic bag into our engine's water intake exiting our slip in 20 knot gusts - oh and it was the middle of the day Saturday with a ton of traffic on the river and all our slip neighbors standing on the dock.

The theatrics involved a clueless power boater, gusting winds and a pretty good three stooges impression.

The wind died exactly five minutes after we got her snugged back in the slip. I know because that wonderful new Garmin wind sensor was showing me a graph of the wind gusts. Went to go out Sunday morning - dead battery - more laughing gremlins. Little bastards. Thank God for rum.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 09-09-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Gee learning 13 things in one day is pretty good progress. Most of us would need at least 13 days.
Old 09-09-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Gee learning 13 things in one day is pretty good progress. Most of us would need at least 13 days.
How true.
Old 09-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Jim,

Glad you're okay. Now get back out there with your new knowledge and have at it.

I assume you've properly blamed someone else for each of these maladies.
JimMcGee and AlaskaMC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Jim, It's not your fault, there were serious gremlins on the Bay this weekend.
Went to go out Sunday morning - dead battery - more laughing gremlins. Little bastards. Thank God for rum.
Jim, I was looking for you Saturday; now I understand why I didn't see you out there! Sorry to hear you had your own set of adventures!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Oh, not me. When I do something, I do it right! LOL

Chuck, I actually checked the hull before I went under. Thankfully, the bottom paint was still doing its thing. I hear you about the helmet, though. Came close to knockin' my noggin a few times.

Minne, I am tempted to blame my dad since he was manning the jib, but in the end it's my boat and (as scary as the prospect may be) I'm the most experienced person aboard. It was my responsibility to make sure everything was ready and safe, and I screwed up. Thankfully it wasn't worse, like in Blu's picture.
1975 Albacore 15