Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Learned something(s) today

Sounds like the gods of sea & wind decided it was "Let's pick on sailors named Jim day". I suggest a hefty propitiatory application of potable beverages. For them and you.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Jim - One comment from your blog post. The teardrop fender that you have is great for floating docks (I have two for my boat), but they may continue to get you in trouble with fixed pilings. You should make up one or two fender boards. I used a PVC pipe instead of wood for this, and the results were very good. I used these general instructions as a guide.

Here area couple pics to demonstrate (not my boat):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Rick, that's a good idea, thanks! I have a lot of that style of bumper, and it would be perfect for the way the piling sits on my starboard side.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-09-2013
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I learned a few lessons today:
[...]
13) spring lines are awesome
Is there a story here, too?
/ed
Old 09-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy3 View Post
Is there a story here, too?
/ed
As we approached my slip, the captain of the tow boat radioed back and said that he was basically going to slingshot me into the slip. I always approach at a snail's pace, and he was going a bit faster than I usually do. I was very nervous without an engine. I still had to steer, so I told my dad to stand close(ish) to the bow and to look for a loop in either of the lines I had on the starboard side. Either one would stop the boat, but one was the springline and one was the stern line. The stern would stop us short of where I need to end up, but it would be OK. Statistically, he had a 50/50 chance of grabbing the right line, but I thought that, since a) I grabbed the wrong line each of the other two times we had docked and b) I had intentionally laid the springline on top, I might help improve his odds. Apparently that wasn't the case, and he grabbed the stern line. But it still basically did what the springline was supposed to do, and snugged us up against the finger and piling, away from my port-side neighbor's boat. Which was good, because she was out, wrapped only in a towel (though there may have been a bathing suit on under there) and armed with her boat hook to help guide us into the slip and fend us off her boat.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I called the marina today; they don't recommend diving at the slip due to the possibility of stray electrical currents. I had the same thought, and that's why I wasn't inclined to swim there and free the line myself. So, I'm going to have to break down and pay them for a short haul. $8/foot isn't too bad, I guess (seeing as I really don't have another option!).
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Almost always cheaper to hire a diver than to do a short haul. While stray current is an issue, its an occupational hazard they deal with. If your marina is telling you its a real problem there, you're going to eat zincs like candy. It's possible they were just trying to guide you toward paying them instead of a diver.

Our marina actually prohibits divers at the slip. They try to claim it's for environmental reasons, not scraping heavy metals into the water. This is not a state law, but they've even gone to far as to suggest it is. Pay them to quick haul and they just power wash the entire fleet, with run off going straight back into the harbor. Maybe less aggressive than scraping by hand, but it seems disingenuous and self serving.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 09-12-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

They didn't say they prohibit the divers, but they said that as divers themselves, they wouldn't do it because it isn't safe. They trust their electrical system, but they are concerned about someone running a generator or one of the other nearby marinas on the river.

If I knew a diver in that area who would do it, I'd jump on the chance. But I don't want to waste several days finding one.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-12-2013

fred1diver is on a distinguished road

just go to a local dive shop and post a note, it wont be long before you get a call
Old 09-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Have I missed something? Isn't the only thing you have to do is to free a line from your prop?

Looking at the line drawing of your boat, your prop is pretty accessible from above the water... From a dinghy, you should have a pretty good chance of being able to cut it free using a hook knife, or any large serrated blade clamped to a boat pole...

Even in the murky waters of coastal NJ, with the aid of a look bucket, you should be able to cut it free... Better yet, if you have trouble seeing it during the day, try it at night using a strong searchlight, you should be able to see the prop well enough...

Seems as least worth a try, it's nuts to haul a boat simply to free a line from the prop... One of the things I like most about my boat - like yours, my prop is very accessible, even from above the water surface... I rate that as a highly desirable feature in a cruising boat, and one of the biggest downsides of the current trend towards saildrives, in my view...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.