Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Learned something(s) today

The marina is scheduled to do the haul soon. I like the idea of the "look bucket" though Jon, and may have to make one of those in case this happens again. My fundamental problem was not really being able to see the way the rope was wrapped around the shaft and prop. With a bucket, I just might be able to do it. I hadn't thought of the boat hook from the dinghy.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
They didn't say they prohibit the divers, but they said that as divers themselves, they wouldn't do it because it isn't safe. They trust their electrical system, but they are concerned about someone running a generator or one of the other nearby marinas on the river.

If I knew a diver in that area who would do it, I'd jump on the chance. But I don't want to waste several days finding one.
I've seen countless divers at marinas over the years. Even Fastbottoms here dives at marinas every day. Sure, there is some risk, but it has never seemed to be a serious concern, unless you know of a reason to be concerned.

Perhaps the concern about a generator at another marina is the most telling. That's just never going to travel that far. I think they are taking you for the quick haul $$. Sorry.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Yeah, that thought went through my head, too.

I'm going to make a bucket so I can see under water. I figure that, with the way my luck goes, if I do that then I won't have to worry about this ever happening again because I'll actually be prepared.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-15-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

These articles explain what electricity does, how to test for it, and how to prevent it. Good luck, and be safe.

BoatUS: Seaworthy Magazine: Raising Awareness About Electric Shock Drowning | October '12

Duckworks - September Treasure Chest
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 09-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks! I read the BoatUS article before, that's part of what had me rethinking the idea of trying to swim at the dock.

They hauled the boat on Friday and got the sheet off. I went there today and tested the system. I didn't leave the slip (alone, somewhat windy, still getting used to the boat), but I confirmed that the transmission went into forward and reverse and that the boat actually moved forward and backward.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-16-2013

Mobile again! Congatulations!

Have you considered something like this?
...or a cage or deflector? What do they use in Maine? With a gazillion lobster pots in the water, someone must have come up with something! Found one here to give you an idea.

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 09-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Both are interesting ideas, thanks! I wonder what the cost difference is between the two.

The cutter doesn't cost much more than a haul-out. So, in some ways, it could be a justified expense. I wonder how well they work.

In the end, I hope not to need either of the solutions again!!!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Mobile again! Congatulations!

Have you considered something like this?
...or a cage or deflector? What do they use in Maine? With a gazillion lobster pots in the water, someone must have come up with something! Found one here to give you an idea.
Yeah, this could do wonders for one's performance under sail, alright...

Maybe just me, but it just seems SO much simpler to keep your lines/sheets from going overboard, to begin with :-)
jimgo likes this.
Old 09-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I had a similar thought, Jon, but the cutter idea does have some merit, especially if you're in an area that has lots of crab/fish pots.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, this could do wonders for one's performance under sail, alright...

Maybe just me, but it just seems SO much simpler to keep your lines/sheets from going overboard, to begin with :-)

It's not so much keeping your lines aboard; I'm thinking more of the junk that's floating around out there. Every time I go beachcombing, I find swathes of netting, and line ranging from monofilament fishing line to hawser an inch in diameter. A couple of years ago, I found 100' of 3/8" three-strand.

I don't know the effect on boat speed, but losing the use of your boat for a week will sure put a crimp in your schedule. The cage pictured above is a home-made unit. There may be more efficient low-drag designs available. Maybe our boat-designer friends know something about them? It would also be helpful if manufacturers had a drag-coefficient table for their products, wouldn't it?

~~Dylan Winter,