SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Learned something(s) today (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103448-learned-something-s-today.html)

jimgo 09-08-2013 01:16 AM

Learned something(s) today

I learned a few lessons today:

1) propellers are sharp

2) the propeller is deeper in the water than you might think

3) if the propeller fouls on something, the rest of the crew may have trouble keeping the boat on course

4) in a small(ish) body of water, itís better to drop the sails and anchor before swimming to free the propeller

5) keep a towel, bathing suit and snorkeling mask onboard

6) check the batteries in the rechargeable, hand-held VHF before leaving

7) get a replacement Command mic for the radio even if the handheld is working

8) donít trust the weather forecast

9) in heavy winds, the anchor line will run like itís a jib sheet on a reach

10) even a highly skilled TowBoatUS captain might run over your anchor line

11) learn the phone number of your marina (or have it on speed dial)

12) divers are your best friend Ė they are much less expensive (or at least I hope that will be the case) than a short haul-out

13) spring lines are awesome

manatee 09-08-2013 02:15 AM

Re: Learned something(s) today

Sounds like you have an 'adventure' to narrate. Feel like pouring a refreshing beverage and elaborating? You, yours & the boat [relatively] undamaged?

Be well, friend.

blutoyz 09-08-2013 09:04 AM

WOW:eek:

You learned quite a bit...Sounds like a long day but you are in the right frame of mind.

emcentar 09-08-2013 09:11 AM

Grabbing myself some popcorn. Clearly quite a story is coming.
E.

Seaduction 09-08-2013 09:44 AM

Who's idea was No. 4?

Dave_E 09-08-2013 09:56 AM

Is Dragon Wing OK? Wife and kids?

CalebD 09-08-2013 12:02 PM

The story behind the lessons is on his blog.

Now that you have wrapped a line around your prop you don't have to do that again!

jimgo 09-08-2013 12:06 PM

Yeah, we're OK, thanks for asking! As Caleb said, a jib halyard wrapped around the prop. I stupidly thought that it would be better to try to maintain steerage, so I swam under the boat while my dad steered. The problem is, he's even more of a novice than I am. I was holding my breath and swimming down while fighting a 2-3 knot "current" most of the time. I should have just dropped the anchor, it would have been much easier to dive the boat. In the end, we wound up getting towed back because I have tow insurance and don't want to damage the engine work that we just had done.

Seaduction 09-08-2013 12:40 PM

Carry a big sharp knife. I wrapped a dinghy painter around the prop when backing down on the anchor in the Bahamas. The force of the wrap slammed the hard dinghy into the stern of the sailboat and cracked its (dinghy) bow. It was a charter from the BYS company. Fortunately we all had snorkeling equipment and a really sharp Case knife to slice through the rope easily.

zeehag 09-08-2013 12:56 PM

i keep my dink painter with a fishing net floatie that keeps it out of range of prop..... helps make a difference---that way i dont have to have working memory....
i also tie my dink off to boat before i unload the contents of dinghy to boat...and before i leave dinghy for mother ship......