SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

To pull or not to pull....

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  pdqaltair 
#1 ·
...that is the question.

My pals use a marina that has a recirculation system to keep the ice away from their docks and only charges $16/foot to store there for the winter. They haul every other year so will be there this winter and I was thinking of joining them.

Haul/powerwash, storage, launch there is $33/foot but then I have to wait for them in the spring rather than just prep my mooring and go.

I did put fresh bottom paint this year so it should be good with just a brush from the surface. a scrape on the prop will be necessary I am sure in the spring.

Opinions? Experience? ...what say you:D

#3 ·
For me it would really depend on if I was going to spend much time on the boat during the winter. One thing to do if you have her pulled out for the winter is try to be one of the last out, so you can be one of the first in and not have to wait too long. I think in RI I would pull it unless you were going to live on it during the winter. There are two ways of looking at it; winter can mean storms, but boats were built to be in the water not land, so often they survive the storms better in the water than in a yard. Especially if your boat or even less controllable another boat comes off it's stands. But it is good for the hull to dry out so it is kind of a toss up. If you do keep it in the water make sure you check the lines often, as chafe is a big issue so if that is not convenient then pull it.

#5 ·
Even if there is no ice, that doesn't mean it is not cold. If it becomes really cold then water in the through-hulls could freeze even if there is no ice in the surrounding water (as it is circulating, which the water in the through-hulls isn't). Frozen thrugh-hulls is likely to create problems.

If it isn't very cold on the palce where the boat is - sure, no problem to stay in water. Many are doing that.

The advantage with having the boat in the water is the prolonged season - nearly all year! Sailing on Christmas - an experience.

To stay in water just for saving some $ - not a good argument, I think.

/J

#7 ·
You also get SERIOUS condensation inside the boat. Great for mold,
Actually, no x2:
Condensation is not a real problem, may even be less of a problem in the water compared to on the hard; it is usually colder on the hard, humidity is about the same.

Mostly too cold for mold. In both cases (water, pulled) one has to decide which strategy to use: closed or open:
Closed means everything should be locked, no air vet at all. One has to ensure all humidity is absorbed, usually in some kind of salt.
Open means ventialtion is open, the more the merrier. Dust and dirt will enter, but humidity is ventialed away.

/J

#8 ·
boats were built to be in the water not land, so often they survive the storms better in the water than in a yard
Not statistically, according to BoatUS. They continue to recommend hauling for storm protection. Hurricane Sandy was an exception in their view - many boats floated off their stands. Since they pay the bills, I trust their judgement.

We also like to haul to let the hull dry out. I've seen instances where blisters can form in a hull left in the water continually.

To be honest, by late fall I'm usually tired of the boat and want to catch up with other interests for a few months. When the boat is in the water, I'm always thinking about it's condition. Hauling lets me shelve those thoughts for a while.

#9 ·
Hey,

I live in NY and keep my boat in a mooring during the season. In the winter my mooring gets hauled and my boat must be moved. I used to have the boat hauled each year, but last year I left it in the water (in a slip, securely tied with dock lines).
For me, the cost difference is major: Under $500 to leave in the water, over $2000 to have hauled and stored.

Now, with good ablative paint that lasts 2 years I plan on spending two years in the water, then hauled out for the winter. With the boat on the hard I can sand and paint the bottom and polish, wax, etc. the topsides.

Since I had my boat hauled in June for some storm related repairs I had the bottom painted, so I will spend winter in the water.

Last winter I thought I would do some sailing but I only got out twice. This winter I will forget about sailing and put a cover on the boat.

I live close to the marina and would be aboard often, at least every other week. I put a small propane heater on, and would often have lunch in the cabin: some hot coffee, a little heat from the propane, and then I would just read a paper, maybe clean a little, i found it very pleasant.

Barry

#11 ·
Thanks for all the opinions...
I will play it by ear for now but I am leaning towards the haul. There were a couple of really strong arguments but "peace of mind" was the strongest.

#12 ·
Unless you really want to save the money, haul it. The winds are generally much stronger over the winter months around here and you'll have to worry about a fender jumping the dock or the bilge pump not working, etc.

It would be much easier to work on at the dock over the winter, except hull work. However, it just gets too cold in my book to really work aboard for any length of time from Dec to Mar. Most of my projects are taken home during the winter.

#14 ·
Very location dependent, obviously. My experience is central Chesapeake.

* Snow load. Generally boats bear heavy snow better in the water, unless there is a very carefully constructed cover. However, you need to be certain your cockpit drains stay clear and that no anticipated load can cause water to siphon back into the engine (the boat may be pressed down several inches. Specifically for multihulls (huge decks and no iron keel to set on) the water is far more gentle.
* Minimum temperatures. Actually, a boat in the water seldom goes far below freezing. Though it is still smart to winterize all systems, the temperatures are moderated by the water.
* Burst rudders. Can't freeze in the water.
* Damp. In my experience, with any reasonable humidity management system, this is not a problem. Early spring is worst, when the water is cold but the air warm. Boats on the hard actually see far greater temperature swings.
* Power. I can keep a boat in the water plugged in, but not on the hard.
* Sinking. About like during the summer. At least in any climate where year around sailing is possible (no thick ice) the through hulls won't freeze, and it is not difficult to winterize them anyhow.
* Wind. If a boat is secured for named storms and squalls, winter is not worse. Chafe gear, of course.
* Ice. If you are in a marina where drifting ice is possible, haul. There is no good protection.
* Equipment reliability. Boats that see some off season use have fewer problems since everything (engines, batteries, electronics, hinges, valves, pumps, fuel systems) gets exercise and lubrication. Try parking your car for 8 months.
* Projects. There are VERY few projects that are helped by being hauled. Heck, I can't climb the mast on the hard. The dock is cooler than the yard. I can actually operate all of the systems under full load. Can you run your AC on the hard? Most cannot.
* Biannual hauling. Even with the best paint you will haul ever 2 years. Most projects can be scheduled. But even for this I haul in the summer, since working with paint and adhesives in the Spring is aggravating.

I've done both (early in my boat ownership I followed the crowd) and been MUCH happier in the water. It isn't about the money, not if they would haul and store for free. I'd need paid for lost use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.