Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Bare minimum cost of a 3 year circumnavigation? (including the boat)
$0 - 9,999 3 4.62%
$10,000 - 24,999 2 3.08%
$25,000 - 49,999 4 6.15%
$50,000 - 74,999 10 15.38%
$75,000 - 99,999 6 9.23%
$100,000 - 199,999 21 32.31%
$200,000 - 299,999 11 16.92%
$300,000 - 399,999 2 3.08%
$400,000 - 499,999 1 1.54%
$500,000 + 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
North American boats now turn north from Tahiti
My point is that Tahiti is not covering the whole of the Pacific, a mere half of it (3,300nms from galapagos as opposed to 6,600 Gal to Australia)

Its a very tough cookie to go against the trades to Tahiti from NZ or AUS. Jimmy Cornel when he did it 20 years or more ago was much younger, as were Alvah and Diana Simon, if they have done it at all, against the trades.

The last over 65 to have done it and enjoyed it was Francis Chichester and he was a grumpy old bum at the beginning By jingo, by crikey, you'd wanna be a fit retiree!

And to those who say they offer no respect to people who do circumnavigate: I say that few would be wishing for your, or anybodys respect. Thats probably what long range cruising gives you However, if Jons figures are correct that theres only 40 yachts per year coming from the USA to Tahiti, that means there will be quite few, very few who succeed in completing a circumnavigation prior to the closing of the red sea, and very much fewer now.

No oone could tell, of course, but some say there have been more to summit Mt Everest than completed a circumnavigation. I know the assents have been coming thich and fast and that 200 people per day summit Everest in the correct months - no matter the number very few cruisers would say our achievement stacks up to that mountain.

I certainly have never asked for respect from anyone for anything, and would never expect it for a leisure activity like sailing under a cover of beer, but it certainly can stop Key West Admirals from pontificating

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Mark, I understand that about 400 people a year summit Everest, there is a bit of an industry involved now. If my estimate of 100 boats passing South Africa a year is close then about 200 people a year do a circumnavigation if we assume the the number of singlehanders more or less balances the number of boats with more than two people since no one is going through the Red Sea these days.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 09-13-2013

HaleyF is on a distinguished road

This thread is great. My man and I started the budgeting process for a multi-year trip about 6 months ago. Right now our goal for the end of next year is 70k in the bank. At that point we'll start looking at boats and probably spend the following year both saving and outfitting while still working. My current "expectation" (and I use that word extremely loosely haha) of the cost of the boat is around 50k for something in the 35-40 ft range, older, but still tough. The plan in the meantime is to foster some of our side projects into passive sources of income while we're gone, and if all else fails, make some stops and do some freelance work en route.

I am 28 and he is 31 and we're lucky enough to have well paying jobs and a rent controlled apartment in New York City.
Old 09-13-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Did someone say they offer no respect to circumnavigators? I know i said that cred isn't given automatically. There is a difference. It is measuring each person individually.

Before migraine headaches ended my flying carreer way to prematurely I had the opportunity to fly with a lot of pilots. And, i gotta tell ya, there were guys i wouldn't want to fly with again! They had the experience, the big time resume, and all the tickets. Yeah, on paper they looked great. And a few of these guys did end up killing themselves in airplanes. Unfortunately, some took other people with them. Sad, but so predictable that myself and a couple friends saw it coming years before it finally happened. So when I say the resume of accomplishment doesn't necessarily buy you cred, this is where I'm coming from.

Last edited by TJC45; 09-13-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Wish Steve (Hannah 2) would chime in.respect his opinion. Would also point out marked variance in expense if you are doing this balls to the wall or spending time in each landfall experiencing the culture and enjoying the sights. We have planned in periods of the boat being on the hard and coming home which adds expense as well.
Old 09-13-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyF View Post
This thread is great. My man and I started the budgeting process for a multi-year trip about 6 months ago. Right now our goal for the end of next year is 70k in the bank. At that point we'll start looking at boats and probably spend the following year both saving and outfitting while still working. My current "expectation" (and I use that word extremely loosely haha) of the cost of the boat is around 50k for something in the 35-40 ft range, older, but still tough. The plan in the meantime is to foster some of our side projects into passive sources of income while we're gone, and if all else fails, make some stops and do some freelance work en route.

I am 28 and he is 31 and we're lucky enough to have well paying jobs and a rent controlled apartment in New York City.
Haley is the freelance work stuff you do online? That is possible but it is hard and often illegal to work in most countries. There are times when you can work while you wait for the next cruising season, eg in NZ or Oz while the cyclone season happens.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 09-13-2013

HaleyF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Haley is the freelance work stuff you do online? That is possible but it is hard and often illegal to work in most countries. There are times when you can work while you wait for the next cruising season, eg in NZ or Oz while the cyclone season happens.
Yeah I work in app/web design. Always a steady stream of available freelance and contract work. I'm actually a Canadian citizen so setting up in NZ/Australia as well as most EU countries for a couple months is doable for me.
Old 09-15-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

A "cheap" boat sailing to the Marquesas form "latitude 38"

Ichiban — Columbia 34 Mk II
Justin Jenkins and Anna Wiley
Big Cruise on a Small Budget
(San Diego)

I've never felt such a great sense of accomplishment as after making the 32-day, 3,000-mile passage from San Diego to Controller Bay, Nuku Hiva, with my girlfriend Anna Wiley. It was both the scariest thing I've ever done and the most rewarding. It feels as though we've ascended to the top of the highest nautical mountain.

Anna and I are not like most cruisers. We're both just 30 years old and don't have much money. But we didn't see much of a future for ourselves in the United States right now, so we decided to buy the best boat we could with our limited funds and take off.

The boat turned out to be a surprisingly spacious Columbia 34 Mk II, which we got for just $2,000. The small outboard wasn't going to cut it as an auxiliary in the South Pacific, so I bought and installed a rebuilt Atomic 4. I know a gas engine isn't ideal for cruising, but it was what we could afford. Ichiban also needed sails, so I bought a used main and a used jib for $100 each. Naturally the boat needed lots of other work, which took up most of my time for the last year.

Our original plan was to start by cruising Mexico, but we weren't ready to leave in time for the season. So when we didn't leave San Diego until May 11, our destination became the Marquesas in the South Pacific rather than Mexico. After all the repairs and provisioning, our cruising kitty was down to just $400. But it was time to walk the walk, so we left.

Other than getting hit by 30 knots of wind near Guadalupe Island, and getting thrashed in the doldrums, our crossing was surprisingly uneventful. We had a solid 15 knots on the quarter until we hit the doldrums at about 10°N. It was pretty squally in the ITCZ, with wind from five to 30 knots, and strong currents. We never knew which way the wind or current would come from, and it was like being in a washing machine. It took us six days to get down to 4°N, which is where we finally escaped the ITCZ.

The doldrums was the most nerve-wracking part of the trip. One night the wind died and the current pushed us 20 miles back. That wasn't fun. But then the southeast trades filled in and carried us to Nuku Hiva's Controller Bay at a steady five knots.

Ichiban handled very well during the long crossing and, thank God, nothing broke. We didn't have a spinnaker pole, so we recently made one out of bamboo.

As soon as we arrived, we began to meet lots of cruisers. They've been wonderful about sharing their knowledge of sailing and cruising. What a great bunch of people! Igor and Louise, our new cruising friends from Australia, just had their first baby pop out last night. We're about to go to the local hospital to see what she looks like.

Starting out with such a small cruising kitty, we were lucky to find some jobs — repairing sails and cleaning boats — almost right away. As a result, we were able to nearly double the size of our kitty. We've also been playing a lot of music, and have received quite a bit of free fruit from our gracious listeners.

The weekends here have been filled with the sounds of Marquesan drums, the sight of Polynesians dancing, and the taste of Hinano beer.

We're all checked in with the Gendarmerie, which has taken a load off our minds. But as we'd like to spend more time exploring French Polynesia, we're hoping to get a one-year extension to our visas.

Anna and I are so glad that we went cruising. What a life it is! We're hoping to encourage other young folks with not so much money to join us in this adventurous lifestyle.

— justin 07/31/2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-15-2013

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

Damn shame people are gonna miss out on the world because their icemaker broke down......oh well........
Old 09-15-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscooter View Post
Damn shame people are gonna miss out on the world because their icemaker broke down......oh well........
Who needs apps or ice makers when you can have this:

"The weekends here have been filled with the sounds of Marquesan drums, the sight of Polynesians dancing, and the taste of Hinano beer."

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.