Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Bare minimum cost of a 3 year circumnavigation? (including the boat)
$0 - 9,999 3 4.62%
$10,000 - 24,999 2 3.08%
$25,000 - 49,999 4 6.15%
$50,000 - 74,999 10 15.38%
$75,000 - 99,999 6 9.23%
$100,000 - 199,999 21 32.31%
$200,000 - 299,999 11 16.92%
$300,000 - 399,999 2 3.08%
$400,000 - 499,999 1 1.54%
$500,000 + 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

I plan to keep the day job a bit longer and see the world, at least some of it, with a functioning ice maker.
AKscooter and MarkofSeaLife like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

I dont really agree with the thought that a circumnavigating boat needs to be hugely different from other crruising boats... unless we are talking about weekend sailers that pop up and down the Chesapeake. The one error I think people who set out to do a tropical circumnavigation do is over think (or read too many forums) and buy a too old, and too solid, too traditional, too full keel, too poorly ventilated, too 'sea kindly' old heap of old style crap just because they think its a blue water boat.

One horror story in the making is these threads where they say you can live circumnavigating for 3 years on $10,000. I'm sorry but you can't. I can't. No one can.

I do believe in "Go Now"; I do believe it can be done on a tight budget. I do believe we can die tomorrow so we must make use of today. There is a whole world to see and seeing it will educate us more and better than anything else in the world.
I do NOT believe horror stories. I dont believe in floating containers. One doesn't need 1 inch think fiberglass. They didnt make them better in the old days. We make them better now.

But mostly I believe if people did not read the horror stories more people would be willing to go further than the Bahamas from the USA; go further from the Med from Europe; go further than the Whitsundays from Australia.

The world is our oyster and I hate people stealing clichés!

Mark
Ironically one of the more popular boats used for popping up and down the Chesapeake are Beneteaus.

But even those unsuitable( in your opinion) Chesapeake cruisin Benes can get pricey. Northward of 150k once you get above the mid 30 foot versions. Geez even their new 21 footer is closing in on 100k once it's all optioned up. And the Beneteaus are built at about the same quality and price point as the other popular Chessie cruisers, Catalina and Hunter.

So, if an unsuitable Chesapeake Bay cruiser is going to set someone back at least six figures to buy, how much more would a suitable boat cost? How does that work with a "tight budget?"

AS for go now? Go now sounds great! That works for trust fund babies and family scions. Maybe a few business guys who decide to give it up early. All good for these folks. Many of these types are my clients. They have no need to look at the price tag of anything they buy or anything they do. And, if they decide to take a 5 year or longer time out to sail around the world their life of financial independence will be waiting for them when they return. I wish them nothing but the best. That's not how it goes for the average person of average financial means. Things would be not so good after blowing the life's savings on a round the world cruise.

Of course there is pan handling your way around the world for those who just want to go without money and without a plan

Last edited by TJC45; 09-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-16-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Best way is to be young and think nothing of showing up in a foreign country with $400 to your name and not mind working under-the-table jobs to get more money. I am sadly too old for that kind of adventure now and the danger level would be way too high - my wife would f-n kill me
kwaltersmi, Group9 and TJC45 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-16-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road

If I didn't have kids I think that it would be one hell of a good way to spend a few years. I was to wound up in trying to get a good job and buying a house that things like this never crossed my mind. Wish they had. I might of had some nice stories to tell. No one wants to here about buying new living room furniture and painting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-16-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Sailing around the world at age 18 didn't occur to some of us because, at the time, we were fighting a war with Vietnam. Sailing around the world wasn't on the menu of draft deferments. We went to school and when our number came up, we went to war. of course, some of us volunteered.

Whether it's sailing around the world or hiking the AT, there are trade offs in life to be made. I don't look at my kids and think, I wish I did something else with my life. I wouldn't trade a day with them for anything. I'm sure that speaks for everyone here. So, we are left with the old fashioned way of getting it done - earn our way there. For some of us that will work, some it won't, and for most, they could care less. Sailing around the world, or for that matter, further than the horizon, just not on the bucket list.
bristol299bob and LakeMi like this.

Last edited by TJC45; 09-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.