Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Bare minimum cost of a 3 year circumnavigation? (including the boat)
$0 - 9,999 3 4.62%
$10,000 - 24,999 2 3.08%
$25,000 - 49,999 4 6.15%
$50,000 - 74,999 10 15.38%
$75,000 - 99,999 6 9.23%
$100,000 - 199,999 21 32.31%
$200,000 - 299,999 11 16.92%
$300,000 - 399,999 2 3.08%
$400,000 - 499,999 1 1.54%
$500,000 + 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

The "cost" question is one of the most difficult to answer in the cruising world. My favorite answer I've heard is that "cruising costs whatever you have".

My attempt to answer the question using examples from some recent cruisers is given here in this blog post: What does it cost to go cruising?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I don't think Mark (or I for that matter) are suggesting you need $300k for a three year circumnavigation that allows for some of the finer things a few meals ashore and inland travel. We spent over a month backpacking in Ecuador and Peru, did it economically and had a great time. Never spent more than $30 a night for a room and travelled by bus. Much more fun and authentic rxperience than staying at the local Hilton and flying.

The original question asked was what is the minimum amount needed. I was in the $50 to $75k group but if you want a few extras I think a couple needs $20 to $25k a year, including boat costs, plus the initial boat costs which go from $20k to $200k or much mor depending on your preferences and wallet size.

Final thought, makes sense to consider the cost of boat acquisition and prep separately from the monthly costs. Once you drink that beer or go see the orangutans that money is gone, but when your trip is over you still have your boat either to enjoy or to sell for a substantial percentage of what you put into it, assuming you have kept it up as you go.

Final, final thought, if you are a very risk-adverse person and worrying about how you will pay the bills in 2040 this lifestyle is not for you. You need to act and plan sensibly but you to be prepared to take a risk or three.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 09-10-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

My number for the cost was taking a combo of what was set out in the spread sheet and what Mark mentioned as the cost of his boat. I have no idea what it would cost to sail around the world. I didn't enter a vote.

I don't take issue with people spending money as they see fit for what is important to them. Only with one comment made by Mark that the difference between a bare bones trip and a top rate trip is a matter of saving more money. between the income stopping while on the trip and the cost of the trip IMO, at the levels discussed here, the high end trip is out for most people of average means. Simply put, they don't make enough to save enough.

I'm all for 30 cents on the dollar adventures. I can tell you my average cost for riding a bicycle from New Jersey to Key West Florida was about $30 a day. There are ways to lower that cost but I wanted motels once every few days instead of camping and because you are the engine, ya gotta eat right! Not counting the bike, panniers or camping gear (all useable for other trips) the trip down cost me about $600. I guess i should add in the $300 it cost to get me and the bike back to New Jersey. Still, all in all, a very cheap 3 week adventure!!!

Last edited by TJC45; 09-10-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

At one time these trips were done by young adventurers on low to no budget.
Nowadays, it seems to be a luxury retirement trip.

I could do it pretty cheap if I stuffed my boat with ramen noodles and didn't stop anywhere!
TJC45 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Didn't answer, haven't done it yet. We may end up as "East coast of America loop" people, although the attraction of the South Pacific islands and other locations is very real, brought-on in part through Mark's blog.

There are some must-have equipment items that I'd want, such as solar panels driving a fridge and freezer (and a watermaker). Now that I've read Richard Kollmann's book and installed an electric fridge and freezer on our boat, the cost versus benefit is amazing. A freezer can keep food for a long time and a fridge can keep locally-purchased food fresh. Over 3 years, I'd bet the system pays for itself just in the ability to store leftovers and buy in bulk. (And it's great to have cold drinks!)

So I personally wouldn't backdown from the $1K that I spent on our system. And we do our (currently very limited) cruising with all the tools, gauges, and refrigerant to fix our system or another cruiser's system. -- A possible source of income or at least a free beer or two.

--

From the above, I think the costs go down if you know how to fix your own equipment, and can therefore help others fix theirs.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 09-10-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

My wife is very interested in the Great Loop. Scenery and new towns - to her - beats 3,000 miles of ocean. I'll do either
LakeMi likes this.

Old 09-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

But the great loop is a stinkpotters dream?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-11-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
I can tell you my average cost for riding a bicycle from New Jersey to Key West Florida was about $30 a day.
At $30 per day is $1000 per month. But you only have to maintain a bicycle.

Mark
Old 09-11-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
. . . . although the attraction of the South Pacific islands and other locations is very real
That's the express reason why we immigrated to New Zealand - to have a foot in the South Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
There are some must-have equipment items that I'd want, such as solar panels driving a fridge and freezer (and a watermaker). . . . . Over 3 years, I'd bet the system pays for itself just in the ability to store leftovers and buy in bulk.
So this is why I don't get the inclusion of the cost of the boat in "cost of cruising" in the poll.

What I spend on my boat (buying and upgrading) is an investment that may or may not depreciate. It is only the depreciation if anything that should be costed into the equation. Unless of course you are planning on donating the vessel when your'e done cruising (stand in line - the Amel is mine). When the boat is sold the difference between cost price and selling price can be accounted for. I note that "the spreadsheet" didn't cost any capital loss/gain into their equation either.

My expenditure for the last three years has been predominantly upgrades and very little needed for maintenance. In fact of the last $30k I've spent I reckon maybe 10% is maintenance. So we reckon we can cruise on a grand a month in 6-monthly bursts, summer in NZ and winter in the islands.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-11-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
At $30 per day is $1000 per month. But you only have to maintain a bicycle.
Mark
Yes but you can't go down below to prepare a meal or sleep on a bicycle Therein lies the cost.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke