Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Bare minimum cost of a 3 year circumnavigation? (including the boat)
$0 - 9,999 3 4.62%
$10,000 - 24,999 2 3.08%
$25,000 - 49,999 4 6.15%
$50,000 - 74,999 10 15.38%
$75,000 - 99,999 6 9.23%
$100,000 - 199,999 21 32.31%
$200,000 - 299,999 11 16.92%
$300,000 - 399,999 2 3.08%
$400,000 - 499,999 1 1.54%
$500,000 + 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013

contrarian is on a distinguished road
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

I shoulda read the question better before I voted. Didn't even pay attention to the "Including the Boat". That adds a whole new dimension to the scale of imponderables
posed by the original question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road

The poll should not have included the boat.. That's like trying to figure out an equation with 2 variables. Can't happen without more information. Should have been just cruising minus the boat. Because someone might splurge on a boat, and be tight in their cruising costs, on the other hand someone might find a cheaper boat to have more income while cruising.
Old 09-12-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Beth Leonard's book
The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising: Beth Leonard: 9780071437653: Amazon.com: Books The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising: Beth Leonard: 9780071437653: Amazon.com: Books

has some really good info on provisioning, and even growing vegetables from seeds. You can't get more frugal than that! Also, how reliant are the voyagers on this site on fishing? Without ice, how long are you able to store your catch?
Old 09-12-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Imagine 3 boats. An old Alberg 30 and brand new TooMuch50 anchor in TropicalCove. The Alberg has ice when they can get it, a small diesel, a couple batteries, and a happy couple. They are living basic but don't have a lot of things to break and what they do have is simple and rugged.
The TooMuch50 has a big diesel, a generator, a watermaker, fridge, freezer, airconditioning, autopilot, radar, SSB, big batteries, big alternators, and a big TV. They have a windlass and NEED it to get their heavy anchor up. They have a bow thruster and need that too. The couple on this boat, unless they are quite technically savvy and quite good in setting the boat up, are likely to show up with a fair portion of that equipment not working and endure a stressful stay in TropicalCove trying to arrange for parts and technicians to fix their stuff before they go onwards.

Then there is the third boat that is somewhere between those two, but the boat never goes anyplace because the skipper is convinced that if he can;t go around the world in a TooMuch50, then going to Bermuda or Europe in a JustRight 40 is not even worth doing
copacabana likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

After reading the entire thread I realized that my vote (50-75k) was not very informed. I could probably do it in that range (older boat <30feet, mostly rice and fish diet) but some of those entry fees and maintenance costs are definitely higher than I thought. I would still do it for less than 100 grand, no sweat, and LOVED the experience. In reality I will most likely just cruise along the US East Coast and the Caribbean.
Old 09-12-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

One man's feast is another man's meal.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 09-12-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Well this seems ludicrously expensive. 50K a year? Get real.
15k for the boat. 10k for the refit. 25k for 3 year circum nav. If your sailing a 50' with washing machines and flying to the states for Dr. visits and shipping boats via containers then I suppose 50k a year is your budget. Each there own.
See you in Micronesia.
Old 09-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Gawd, a true monstrosity. I hope those s.s. cross braces aren't actually meant to provide any structural strength. Most of the metal has been removed to make room for the fancy lettering.
Well, then - how about this one? :-)

smurphny likes this.
Old 09-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Well this seems ludicrously expensive. 50K a year? Get real.
15k for the boat. 10k for the refit. 25k for 3 year circum nav. If your sailing a 50' with washing machines and flying to the states for Dr. visits and shipping boats via containers then I suppose 50k a year is your budget. Each there own.
See you in Micronesia.
The posted spreadsheet is on the upper end but 10k isn't gonna get anywhere near what what it costs to refit an old boat. Just the BASIC electronics (radar, chartplotter, SSB, VHF, solar or wind power, depth finder, charts for plotter, spares for alternator, starter, etc.) are going to eat up 10k before even thinking about replacing rigging, sails, rotten cored decks, ground tackle, chain, drag devices, liferaft, etc., etc., etc. I've just done this to my old boat and have spent three times that amount.
Old 09-12-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

One other thought that I have not seen mentioned anywhere is that the costs of extended cruising do not happen in a linear fashion. Some months you spend a great deal, in others not a penny. When you first start out the boat is (should be!) in great shape so maintenance is low but increases later and where you can actually buy stuff - for us this was St Martin, Grenada, Australia, American Samoa (USPS), and Souh Africa. Sometimes you have high operational costs for entry and other things. Panama was a perfect storm for this with fees, Canal costs, plus a terrific opportunity for major provisioning before heading into the Pacific.

We are now spending a great deal getting ready to leave South Africa but will spend little in the couple of months after we leave with only a few stops (St Helena and Ascension are not famous for their shopping possibilities). I guess what I am saying is that you need to have a stock of money available to both take advantage of opportunities (good, cheap provisioning opportunities)) and problems (we spent $5000 to get my hand put back together at a private hospital in SA. Without speedy and competent care I might lost use of the hand.

The whole business of paying for cruising is really complicated at many levels. For us, we paid quite a bit for the boat to have a vessel that we could be confident in. We cruise with a moderate lifestyle although take advantage of the opportunities to visit remarkable places, but (and it is a big BUT) we have a significant nest egg if we need it- this also gives us confidence and comfort.
MarkofSeaLife and TJC45 like this.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.