Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Bare minimum cost of a 3 year circumnavigation? (including the boat)
$0 - 9,999 3 4.62%
$10,000 - 24,999 2 3.08%
$25,000 - 49,999 4 6.15%
$50,000 - 74,999 10 15.38%
$75,000 - 99,999 6 9.23%
$100,000 - 199,999 21 32.31%
$200,000 - 299,999 11 16.92%
$300,000 - 399,999 2 3.08%
$400,000 - 499,999 1 1.54%
$500,000 + 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013
winter crazy

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

I don't know this for any type of fact but I suspect that people cruising etc. on the lower end of the budget world don't post on internet forums. Just like people living on land at the lower end of the income scale.
Lou452 and TJC45 like this.
Old 09-12-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
At $30 per day is $1000 per month. But you only have to maintain a bicycle.

Mark
Exactly right! And as a luxury motorhome owner I will tell you that the quality of the experience of touring by bicycle is no less than by that had traveling by expensive diesel guzzling motorhome. In fact, in many ways it's better! ( mention that i own one of these RVs only for point of reference. i speak from experience)

Still, few average middle class people can afford a 43 foot diesel pusher motorhome. With list prices in the half million dollar range there is the purchase cost. Then the maintenance, and the cost of operation. Which at 7 to 8 miles per gallon gets expensive fast! The point being, if you are the average person in the USA making the average salary, no amount of saving is going to get you behind the wheel of one of these units. Simply put, the average person doesn't make enough to save enough.

Of course there a lot less expensive ways to tour. Right down to riding a bike or walking. The experience is going to be what you make it regardless of mode.

And, so it goes with sailing. you don't need a six figure boat to circumnavigate. Which is a good thing, because that would leave most people at the dock with their dream. The experience you have is the one you create.

Last edited by TJC45; 09-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I don't know this for any type of fact but I suspect that people cruising etc. on the lower end of the budget world don't post on internet forums. Just like people living on land at the lower end of the income scale.
I'm not exactly sure how that point, while valid in a different context, is relevant to the original question.

It does, however, somewhat relate to my point that the cost is all over the scale and only the OP can determine where his comfort level falls on that scale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
One other thought that I have not seen mentioned anywhere is that the costs of extended cruising do not happen in a linear fashion. Some months you spend a great deal, in others not a penny. When you first start out the boat is (should be!) in great shape so maintenance is low but increases later and where you can actually buy stuff - for us this was St Martin, Grenada, Australia, American Samoa (USPS), and Souh Africa. Sometimes you have high operational costs for entry and other things. Panama was a perfect storm for this with fees, Canal costs, plus a terrific opportunity for major provisioning before heading into the Pacific.

We are now spending a great deal getting ready to leave South Africa but will spend little in the couple of months after we leave with only a few stops (St Helena and Ascension are not famous for their shopping possibilities). I guess what I am saying is that you need to have a stock of money available to both take advantage of opportunities (good, cheap provisioning opportunities)) and problems (we spent $5000 to get my hand put back together at a private hospital in SA. Without speedy and competent care I might lost use of the hand.

The whole business of paying for cruising is really complicated at many levels. For us, we paid quite a bit for the boat to have a vessel that we could be confident in. We cruise with a moderate lifestyle although take advantage of the opportunities to visit remarkable places, but (and it is a big BUT) we have a significant nest egg if we need it- this also gives us confidence and comfort.
Great post!!!! I guess the advantage to crossing vast oceans is while out there, there is no place to pull out your credit card!!!!

I think the key as it pertains to this discussion is you telling us you have a significant nest egg. I'm sure that gives you the peace of mind to do this. To get to this point you had to have the earning power to be able to accumulate the nest egg while at the same time living life as it was happening before your adventure began. That's the part many average earners will have a problem with.

BTW, median household income in the USA is about $50,000. 72% 0f households make $75,000 or less. At that level of income pulling off a high end world cruise, including buying the boat and supporting yourself, while at the same time raising and educating kids, gonna a tough act!!!

Personally, my hat is off to anyone who does this. First for sailing around the world!!!! In my book, truely impressive! But, my hat is also off to those with the financial forethought and financial will power it takes to pull this off. Absolutely, no small thing!

Last edited by TJC45; 09-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
Great post!!!! I guess the advantage to crossing vast oceans is while out there, there is no place to pull out your credit card!!!!
!
Makes one think of the possibilities for floating Starbucks franchises (Timmies for Canadians) along the major cruising routes. Seriously, we spent very little money between the Galapagos and Brisbane (that changed once we got to Oz). Would have liked to do major provisioning in Papeete, incredible supermarket, but very pricey. Also spent virtually nothing between Bali and South Africa but made up for it in SA.

One other thought comes to mind. Not many people do a RTW. With everyone going via SA these days it is easier to estimate. Last year I would be surprised if it was even 100 boats from what we saw. Most were the retired folks in boats worth $50k to a couple million (what is an Oyster 63ish going for these days). A small minority were in boats less than $25k after upgrades. Almost all were European with most from Sweden. Typically these were couples who had very good jobs and saved like crazy to allow them to take off for a fixed, typically three year cruise. I suspect it is easier to accomplish this in the Swedish economy than in the US. We had an interesting BBQ in SA where everyone (4 other boats) was less than 35 other than us. All had to hurry home (2 Swedish, 1 American, 1 Italian) because they were almost out of money. One Swedish kid was bemoaning the fact that his thirtieth birthday was coming soon - not bad for having almost sailed around the world, having a nice, very old HR precursor, and good job skills - give him a pile of steel wool and could knit you an engine.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 09-12-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The posted spreadsheet is on the upper end but 10k isn't gonna get anywhere near what what it costs to refit an old boat. Just the BASIC electronics (radar, chartplotter, SSB, VHF, solar or wind power, depth finder, charts for plotter, spares for alternator, starter, etc.) are going to eat up 10k before even thinking about replacing rigging, sails, rotten cored decks, ground tackle, chain, drag devices, liferaft, etc., etc., etc. I've just done this to my old boat and have spent three times that amount.
Yep, me too, and I sailed my boat across the Pacific before I even started the refit.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-12-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The posted spreadsheet is on the upper end but 10k isn't gonna get anywhere near what what it costs to refit an old boat. Just the BASIC electronics (radar, chartplotter, SSB, VHF, solar or wind power, depth finder, charts for plotter, spares for alternator, starter, etc.) are going to eat up 10k before even thinking about replacing rigging, sails, rotten cored decks, ground tackle, chain, drag devices, liferaft, etc., etc., etc. I've just done this to my old boat and have spent three times that amount.
I don't know, you did just list about 4 pieces of electronics that are often not present on cruising boats. Slocum didn't have them, that's for sure.

Edit, now that I think about it, Aebi and others didn't have many of those either.

Please support my
Old 09-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I don't know, you did just list about 4 pieces of electronics that are often not present on cruising boats. Slocum didn't have them, that's for sure.

Edit, now that I think about it, Aebi and others didn't have many of those either.
Those are minimum essentials (at least to me) to go anywhere offshore. Makes you realize the absolutely heroic efforts of guys like Slocum. His descriptions of getting around Cape Horn are mind boggling. Savages/pirates, unknown reefs, gales coming down from the mountains...I think lady luck was on his side (along with his rifle:-) He also had no handy Yanmar!
Old 09-12-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Those are minimum essentials (at least to me)
And like so many have said, I think that's the key to the whole thing. It's whatever you feel is necessary for you. There are a lot of people here that have to have hot and cold running water on a boat to be happy, air conditioning at the dock, dinghy davits, bow thrusters, and all the rest too, but not everybody has to have all of that stuff.

My limited experience with this is that people tend to let the price of the boat creep up more and more the longer they stay attached to the dock (that is a general observation, not directed at smurphny).

Please support my
Old 09-12-2013

There are people, adventurers, who work, save like crazy and then take off for a few years to follow the dream. These are mostly single people. Or, couples who met while out on their dream cruise, hike etc.

This really doesn't work in the U.S. job market. At least any longer. Regardless of qualifications getting back into the work force is problematic for those who have dropped out. Job applications are now handled through online resume. The computer program automatically weeds out anyone with a long stretch of unemployment. While circumnavigating the world wouldn't eliminate you from consideration in a live interview, the computer doesn't ask the reason why no job over the past two three years. it is following a filtering program that assumes anyone out of the workforce for that period has issues. While this isn't always the case it is in much of the jobs not so easy to get category. That is, the high paying career type positions.

As well, even if you can get thru the computer screen to a live interview you are competing with people whose skills are not rusty.

Sabaticals work well for professions that allow them. Kinda cool to drop out from that teaching position for a while and knock some stuff off the bucket list. For the rest of us, think long and hard! I've worked 30 years to build my business. If I left for six months, let alone 3 years, there would be no business to come back to.
krisscross likes this.

Last edited by TJC45; 09-12-2013 at 05:18 PM.