SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The economics of sailing around the world (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103523-economics-sailing-around-world.html)

chriscross80 09-09-2013 06:59 PM

The economics of sailing around the world

So since this has been a dream of mine for a really long time it should make for a good topic. I remember at 12 years old wanting to be like Robin Lee Graham from "Dove". Sailing around the world having total and complete freedom. Visiting many exotic locales. Finding a South Pacific deserted island and becoming king of it (Gilligans Island). But unfortunately life got in the way of that dream. Now about 25 years later I hope it does happen someday. But what do you think would be the bare minimum cost (including a sea-worthy boat) of a lets say a 3 year round the world sailboat voyage? The route trip probably leaving California, going to Mexico, Hawaii, then head out to the South Pacific. Discover all the islands there. Then onto Australia, Asia, the Indian Ocean, Africa, and Europe. Then over the Atlantic Ocean to the Eastern side of the USA, all the Carribean Islands. Go through the Panama Canal, sail up to Canada and the Inside Passage. Then slowly sail down the Western side of the USA onto to the home port of SoCal. I know you would have to have quite a well-equipped sea worthy vessel for a trip like that!

DRFerron 09-09-2013 07:05 PM

Re: The economics of sailing around the world

Detailed spreadsheet for this particular couple at the bottom:

S/V BeBe: Costs

They did an interesting podcast interview. Episode 31:

http://thesailingpodcast.com/sailing-podcast/

DRFerron 09-09-2013 07:21 PM

I'm not sure how a poll would give you the information that you want as the bare minimum cost for my needs are different from anyone else's. Plus, everyone has a different idea of what boat works for them, therefore the cost for that will differ from one person to the next.

minnow1193 09-09-2013 07:29 PM

Great link, Donna. Very informative. :)

MarkofSeaLife 09-09-2013 08:33 PM

My boat cost $100k and I spent about $30k per year. Maybe a little less.

Now I'm finsihed the Circumnavigation and 'just' cruisin' it still costs me the same amount :) But in reality active cruising does cost a little more than doing it very slowly. I did mine in 2.5 years, similar to your plan 3 years. But if you take ten years it coses less per year... but not by much. Overall the quicker the cheaper.

Mark

JonEisberg 09-09-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnow1193 (Post 1086519)
Great link, Donna. Very informative. :)

Or, depressing, for some of us of more modest means... :-)

Closer to the opposite end of the spectrum, one guy I've always greatly admired is Jack van Ommen... Sounds like his style might be of a bit more interest to the OP...

Quote:

“You don’t have to have a really big boat, mine certainly isn’t, and you don’t have to be rich. I’m doing my sailing on income from my Social Security plus some writing.”

When the time came for my boyhood dream to come true at age 65, in 2002, I was broke. There were months that my landlady had to wait a couple weeks for my rent to be scraped up. “Fleetwood” escaped the 2000 business and personal bankruptcy. In 1994 I was still worth over a million. But a new life started with my first social security check. I worked on getting “Fleetwood” ready. She had sat on her trailer for 10 years while I worked hard to try and turn my business back from a hard knock. I am writing this for the benefit of you who think that it needs a lot of savings to go to sea. Keep the boat small and the equipment simple. Choose your seasons and sailing routes carefully.

1) About Jack and ?Fleetwood? ?s Circumnavigation | Fleetwoods Circumnavigation

48 North - Feature Article

http://www.cometosea.us/wp-content/t...es/header4.jpg

Omatako 09-09-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 1086510)
Detailed spreadsheet for this particular couple at the bottom:

S/V BeBe: Costs

They did an interesting podcast interview. Episode 31:

Sailing Podcast episodes The Sailing Podcast

Whilst the spreadsheet gives an insight into some costs that are not often considered, I have a tough time reconciling some of their numbers with what we spend. OK at this time I'm not even talking about cruising. But we spend less than some of the item lines even living ashore.

Like medical, insurance, mooring fees. An example: our boat is insured for what we paid and have capitalised over the last 6 years plus $1m of public liability cover and we pay NZ$1450 per annum. Now given that an Amel Maramu is probably worth double what my humble vessel is, still their insurance is the equivalent of about $8300 a year which is HUGE by comparison. Their average marina/mooring spend would pay for 133 days in an upmarket marina in downtown Auckland.

$34k to ship a boat?!?! I would have sailed around the Cape of Good Hope for 5% of that and visited another 4 or 5 other countries. That for me is part of the cruising process.

I won't go on - suffice it to say that if that is the "real" cost of cruising then my dream of long-term cruising is dead in the water (excuse the pun)

Sorry, I'm not voting on account of I don't know.

DRFerron 09-09-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omatako (Post 1086552)
Whilst the spreadsheet gives an insight into some costs that are not often considered, I have a tough time reconciling some of their numbers with what we spend. ...

That's exactly my point. That link was that particular couple. Everyone is different.

Omatako 09-09-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 1086554)
That's exactly my point. That link was that particular couple. Everyone is different.

Apologies - I thought you were suggesting this is a realistic cost of cruising. I'm with Jon - my cruising will be shoe-string stuff.

MarkofSeaLife 09-09-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omatako (Post 1086552)
Sorry, I'm not voting on account of I don't know.

Thats good, beacuse some who dont know have been putting figures like $25,000 for a circumnavigation. including the boat. Even lyn and Larry Pardy couldnt do it for that in the 1960s