The economics of sailing around the world - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: Bare minimum cost of a 3 year circumnavigation? (including the boat)
$0 - 9,999 3 4.62%
$10,000 - 24,999 2 3.08%
$25,000 - 49,999 4 6.15%
$50,000 - 74,999 10 15.38%
$75,000 - 99,999 6 9.23%
$100,000 - 199,999 21 32.31%
$200,000 - 299,999 11 16.92%
$300,000 - 399,999 2 3.08%
$400,000 - 499,999 1 1.54%
$500,000 + 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 Old 09-09-2013 Thread Starter

The economics of sailing around the world

So since this has been a dream of mine for a really long time it should make for a good topic. I remember at 12 years old wanting to be like Robin Lee Graham from "Dove". Sailing around the world having total and complete freedom. Visiting many exotic locales. Finding a South Pacific deserted island and becoming king of it (Gilligans Island). But unfortunately life got in the way of that dream. Now about 25 years later I hope it does happen someday. But what do you think would be the bare minimum cost (including a sea-worthy boat) of a lets say a 3 year round the world sailboat voyage? The route trip probably leaving California, going to Mexico, Hawaii, then head out to the South Pacific. Discover all the islands there. Then onto Australia, Asia, the Indian Ocean, Africa, and Europe. Then over the Atlantic Ocean to the Eastern side of the USA, all the Carribean Islands. Go through the Panama Canal, sail up to Canada and the Inside Passage. Then slowly sail down the Western side of the USA onto to the home port of SoCal. I know you would have to have quite a well-equipped sea worthy vessel for a trip like that!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 09-09-2013
Dragon Mod

Dock
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

Detailed spreadsheet for this particular couple at the bottom:

S/V BeBe: Costs

They did an interesting podcast interview. Episode 31:

http://thesailingpodcast.com/sailing-podcast/
Seaduction likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS

Last edited by DRFerron; 09-09-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added podcast link.
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
outbound (09-10-2013)
post #3 of 105 Old 09-09-2013
Dragon Mod

Dock

I'm not sure how a poll would give you the information that you want as the bare minimum cost for my needs are different from anyone else's. Plus, everyone has a different idea of what boat works for them, therefore the cost for that will differ from one person to the next.
vega1860 and capta like this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #4 of 105 Old 09-09-2013

Great link, Donna. Very informative.
post #5 of 105 Old 09-09-2013

Dock

My boat cost $100k and I spent about $30k per year. Maybe a little less.

Now I'm finsihed the Circumnavigation and 'just' cruisin' it still costs me the same amount But in reality active cruising does cost a little more than doing it very slowly. I did mine in 2.5 years, similar to your plan 3 years. But if you take ten years it coses less per year... but not by much. Overall the quicker the cheaper.

Mark
SOVT likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
Ziaduck (09-09-2013)
post #6 of 105 Old 09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow1193 View Post
Great link, Donna. Very informative.
Or, depressing, for some of us of more modest means... :-)

Closer to the opposite end of the spectrum, one guy I've always greatly admired is Jack van Ommen... Sounds like his style might be of a bit more interest to the OP...

Quote:

“You don’t have to have a really big boat, mine certainly isn’t, and you don’t have to be rich. I’m doing my sailing on income from my Social Security plus some writing.”

When the time came for my boyhood dream to come true at age 65, in 2002, I was broke. There were months that my landlady had to wait a couple weeks for my rent to be scraped up. “Fleetwood” escaped the 2000 business and personal bankruptcy. In 1994 I was still worth over a million. But a new life started with my first social security check. I worked on getting “Fleetwood” ready. She had sat on her trailer for 10 years while I worked hard to try and turn my business back from a hard knock. I am writing this for the benefit of you who think that it needs a lot of savings to go to sea. Keep the boat small and the equipment simple. Choose your seasons and sailing routes carefully.
1) About Jack and ?Fleetwood? ?s Circumnavigation | Fleetwoods Circumnavigation

48 North - Feature Article

Last edited by JonEisberg; 09-09-2013 at 08:59 PM.
post #7 of 105 Old 09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Detailed spreadsheet for this particular couple at the bottom:

S/V BeBe: Costs

They did an interesting podcast interview. Episode 31:

Sailing Podcast episodes The Sailing Podcast
Whilst the spreadsheet gives an insight into some costs that are not often considered, I have a tough time reconciling some of their numbers with what we spend. OK at this time I'm not even talking about cruising. But we spend less than some of the item lines even living ashore.

Like medical, insurance, mooring fees. An example: our boat is insured for what we paid and have capitalised over the last 6 years plus $1m of public liability cover and we pay NZ$1450 per annum. Now given that an Amel Maramu is probably worth double what my humble vessel is, still their insurance is the equivalent of about $8300 a year which is HUGE by comparison. Their average marina/mooring spend would pay for 133 days in an upmarket marina in downtown Auckland.

$34k to ship a boat?!?! I would have sailed around the Cape of Good Hope for 5% of that and visited another 4 or 5 other countries. That for me is part of the cruising process.

I won't go on - suffice it to say that if that is the "real" cost of cruising then my dream of long-term cruising is dead in the water (excuse the pun)

Sorry, I'm not voting on account of I don't know.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #8 of 105 Old 09-09-2013
Dragon Mod

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Whilst the spreadsheet gives an insight into some costs that are not often considered, I have a tough time reconciling some of their numbers with what we spend. ...
That's exactly my point. That link was that particular couple. Everyone is different.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #9 of 105 Old 09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
That's exactly my point. That link was that particular couple. Everyone is different.
Apologies - I thought you were suggesting this is a realistic cost of cruising. I'm with Jon - my cruising will be shoe-string stuff.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #10 of 105 Old 09-09-2013

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Sorry, I'm not voting on account of I don't know.
Thats good, beacuse some who dont know have been putting figures like $25,000 for a circumnavigation. including the boat. Even lyn and Larry Pardy couldnt do it for that in the 1960s

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.