Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013

cookie4u1 is on a distinguished road
Chicago Info

Just dreaming, my son just moved to Chicago. I was wondering how much a slip would cost if I bought a sailboat to stay on while we visited our son? We live 3 hours away but our son would be close. Have always dreamed about a sailboat on the lake and this may be the chance. I have sailed very little, and was thinking of a boat maybe 25 to 30 ft. I just want a few numbers that I can pass by my wife to see if she would consider it. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks...............Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013

fharbison is on a distinguished road
Re: Chicago Info

Cookie

Sounds like fun. Not sure how long you're planning to stay just from you post, but let me take a crack at it.
Transient rates (daily rates) are about 2.35 per foot per night in a slip in Chicago harbors. There is an additional daily charge for electricity. The further you get from Chicago, the cheaper the rates are, of course.

Monthly and seasonal rates vary by which "harbor" you choose. There is a significant surcharge for users who are not residents of Chicago (at least there used to be)

If you factor in buying the sailboat as you mentioned, sounds like a relatively expensive way to visit Chicago

Other users might have more current information.
Old 09-10-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Chicago Info

Right now the only Chicago harbor not tacking on a surcharge for non-residents is 31st Street Harbor. They are only about 20% full so that "deal" will probably continue until they get close to capacity. If your son lives in the city, you may consider putting his name on as part owner, if you like the Chicago harbor option, and thereby avoid the surcharge.

Here's a link to the Chicago Harbors where you'll find all the info on costs.

If you go north of Chicago, there are harbors in Waukegan and Winthrop Harbor where the rates will probably be cheaper. If your son lives north, this may be a better option. If you go south the harbors are a bit more scarce and not as convenient. Wherever you might end up, Lake Michigan will give you every kind of sailing experience you could want, with the exception of year-around sailing.

To help defray the cost of ownership, you could contact one of the timeshare outfits and see if they would be interested in taking on your boat when you aren't in town. From what I've seen, most of these outfits sell out all their space pretty quickly. The only thing is you would have to buy a boat that fits the demands of their clientele.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.