SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Story of man lost on Lake ontario. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103599-story-man-lost-lake-ontario.html)

Ninefingers 09-11-2013 04:28 PM

Story of man lost on Lake ontario.

2013 Lake Ontario 300 Yacht Race (LO300) - Aboard Black Diamond

About half way down. Very sad.

mad_machine 09-11-2013 05:13 PM

Re: Story of man lost on Lake ontario.

to probably hear the last gasps of a dying man... that is beyond sad

nodders 09-12-2013 12:52 PM

We sailed out to Main duck Island just after that and heard numerous reports on the radio to keep a lookout for the individual. I did have a start when I saw something quiet large and dead in the water some 50 ft off the starboard bow. Waves were fairly large at the time, so I could only pick it out on the crest of each wave. I really didn't want it to be that guy! (One of my wife's main fears about sailing is coming across a dead body in the Lake). It turns out it was a huge dead carp.

MarkSailor 09-12-2013 02:22 PM

Am I the only one who is troubled by the account of the race that is at the link posted by Ninefingers?

I'm not sure I could abandon a search for a sailor overboard, who had been close enough for me to hear him call for help, merely to continue in a sailboat race. Don't get me wrong, I love to race myself; but to conclude that "there was no point in us hanging around any longer" when the potentially dying sailor had not been found, seems incredible to me. Then again, if I were writing an account of the race, I don't think that I would have mentioned such an experience long after I posted the link to the recipe for the pulled pork sandwiches.

rrodak 09-12-2013 03:17 PM

I was thinking the same thing. To be close enough to hear shouts for help and to hear the "last gasp" and just sail away....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSailor (Post 1087793)
Am I the only one who is troubled by the account of the race that is at the link posted by Ninefingers?

I'm not sure I could abandon a search for a sailor overboard, who had been close enough for me to hear him call for help, merely to continue in a sailboat race. Don't get me wrong, I love to race myself; but to conclude that "there was no point in us hanging around any longer" when the potentially dying sailor had not been found, seems incredible to me. Then again, if I were writing an account of the race, I don't think that I would have mentioned such an experience long after I posted the link to the recipe for the pulled pork sandwiches.

ellenwhite2 09-12-2013 08:31 PM

So close to hear him in the water and not stop and help search? I'm sorry. That's just awful. That's worse than awful.

tomandchris 09-12-2013 08:46 PM

What is with you guys and what are you reading. They heard the sounds, they looked, and could not find. They called the CG, a plane and a boat was sent. and guided by them. Flares were set off and the search continued.

Tell me what a sailboat could do to help with professionals in the area doing their job. In addition, what is to say that what they heard was actually the last call for help? Should they still be there looking to satisfy you?

Frag 09-12-2013 09:00 PM

Another thing. I am not sure at sea, but on lakes, I experienced more than once hearing people talking miles away ...sound being projected on water. On a silent night, you could hear someone screaming from miles and miles away.

ellenwhite2 09-12-2013 09:21 PM

Yeah. I would have stayed. I would have dropped sail, quieted the boat and listened and looked.