SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mooring Problems in Paradise HELP!?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  VIEXILE 
#1 ·
O.K., after reading about FL problems, can anyone reference specific items of relevance to the following: DPNR (Dept. of Planning and Natural Resources) of the U.S. Virgin Islands has decided to begin kicking boats out of mooring fields that have been just that - mooring fields - for decades. Why, nobody is sure. The Johnson Bay and Sander''s Bay part of Coral Bay is first. Go away. Stay away. Never come back. We don''t know where you can go, just go. Show us some respect and git when we say git. Many of the boat owners are liveaboards or have property in Coral Bay and work locally. Most have been paying for the mooring permit in the same spot for years. The U.S.V.I. is notoriously anti-boating as evidenced by the mass exodus of the charter industry to the B.V.I. in the 80''s and 90''s. Can anyone point to incidents that wound up in Federal Court in any other U.S. jurisdiction or does anyone have any ideas? I know what to do and how to do it, but drawing parallels to other jurisdictions would be very helpful. Thanks. VIEXILE

#3 ·
Gord: I''ve got a subscription to WESTLAW and access to Lexis-nexis. I was just looking for any ideas on specific situations that people might be able to direct me to stateside, particularly involving cases that made it to Federal Court as opposed to State Courts. This all revolves around mooring - not anchorage - and a poorly devised and characteristically selectively applied statute. Coral Bay is on the cusp of exploding into abject development-dom. Kicking people off moorings has something to do with development. They''re actually intending to put low income housing in Calabash Boom out beyond Shipwreck Bar (overlooking Johnson Bay). Another plan is that the Moravian Church, based in Antigua, is going to develop the church properties, the ballfield, etc. into condos, hotel, marina, etc. It''d be a good time to catch Coral Bay "the way it used to be," because, as I observed after delivering a 40'' Endeavor to its mooring a couple months ago - "this could quickly turn into a sewer." This governments'' only driving force is self-serving $$. Two ex-legislators are currently under Federal indictment for bribery and theft. It''s truly surreal. VIEXILE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.