Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Norwegian yacht BLUE MARBLE goes on the reef at Niue...

A sad cautionary tale about putting your trust in a mooring, or leaving your boat unattended while lying to one in an open roadstead...

I haven't been to Niue, but my understanding is that it is a deep, challenging open roadstead anchorage similar to Easter Island, Pitcairn, or perhaps Saba in the Caribbean... Like Saba, the Niue Yacht Club has laid some moorings to be used by visiting cruisers...

When singlehanding, one of my greatest fears is leaving the boat unattended in such a situation, or in any situation where dragging could be this catastrophic... Always easy to second-guess, but with a crew of 7 or 8 aboard, one would think they might have drawn straws to see who gets to stay with the boat in that sort of spot, certainly would have been the more seamanlike procedure in such a situation...

Pretty dramatic video, a couple of things jump out at me... One, as they're pulling the boat off the reef, some of the folks aboard BLUE MARBLE do appear to seem a bit 'casual' about placing themselves in line with the towing hawser/bridle... And, the haulout onto the quay is pretty spooky, I was amazed they had the capability to haul a cat of that size there, not sure I would have wanted to go along for the 'ride' as at least one person did... Definitely not an operation out of the OSHA textbook, that's for sure...:-)

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Norwegian yacht BLUE MARBLE goes on the reef at Niue...

2nd time sailing, 1st time on a mooring, the same happened to us. D-shackle pin unscrewed from the supplied mooring and our boat ended up on the beach. Fortunately, the wind was toward our beach about 300 feet away and our boat is only 4000 lbs. Took about 20 minutes to dig out the keel and float free. Funny thing was, the shackle was still on the chain, pin-less but still there. It's a sinking feeling to find your boat gone.
Old 09-14-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: Norwegian yacht BLUE MARBLE goes on the reef at Niue...

That is painful to watch.