Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: sailboat and ferry collide!

Knowing this area extremely well (I can see it as I'm writing this through the window) I have a problem with the Hyak being at full speed (amongst other things). From the Lopez dock to Orcas through Harney Channel is a very short distance and going that direction it funnels down to a fairly narrow pass before opening up again where the Orcas and Shaw Island ferry docks are. Considering that the tug Rosario and it's tow was in the channel as well as one sailboat on either side of the Hyack, and that it was generally a foggy day I think the decision to come up to full speed was a bad decision. With no traffic and good visibility, no problem, but even with just a few small boats in that location it gets confusing sometimes. I put by far the lions share of responsibility (90+%) on the Hyack's skipper after reading the above.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013

SailPNW is on a distinguished road

More form the U.S.C.G. Report....

22. Conditions

B. Weather Clear
C. Time Daylight
D. Visibility Good
E. Distance Unlimited
F. Air Temp 62
G. Wind 5 Kts SSE
H. Current 0.5 Ebb

23. Navigation Information

Underway X
Speed 15 knts
Course 315

No issues with fog based on the report and from viewing the photos form the news articles...
Old 10-02-2013

ScuzzMonkey is on a distinguished road

There's a slightly different explanation for the use of "left/right" for rudder commands that makes more sense than you might initially suspect:

MARS 2012

And "right/left" have been used by the US Navy at least as far back as the 1940's:
Manual of Commands and Orders, 1945

Much else may have gone wrong, but the terminology is not in and of itself particularly suspicious.
Old 11-13-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Ferry crew's human error resulted in San Juan sailboat collision Ľ Kitsap Sun

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 11-13-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

It's unfortunate that both women's careers in the ferry system are probably over, but I can't disagree with anything in the report. Glad that the skipper of the sailboat lived through it.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-13-2013

Steve in Idaho is on a distinguished road

I don't know anything about the maritime industry standards - but I am in the transportation industry. As a long-time locomotive engineer, I am sometimes responsible for training new engineers. In our industry, the instructor-engineer is ultimately responsible for every movement of the train. Working as an instructor is more tiring and more stressful (when done right) than simply operating the train. Every act of the trainee must be overseen directly by the instructor. There is no allowance for "I turned to see....."

Are the standards not as strict for these ferry captains?

And yes - the "pet" comment smells of cya. How can the ferry captain know what was going on in the pilot house of the sailboat?

It's a sad event for all involved. As a steward, I well know the pressures of industry that lead to such lapses in vigilance. It's no excuse, but understandable how it happens. That is why no one should expect others to look out for them.

Last edited by Steve in Idaho; 11-13-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

This doesn't ring true at all.
If "Hervey told Whaley the Hyak was getting close to the sailboat" and the captain ordered her to ďcome left and blow the whistle if you feel it is necessary.Ē, why would Hervey turn toward a boat she was looking at, even if she didn't know port from starboard, or her right from her left?
"Both women were placed on paid administrative assignment." Wow, what a deal; you'd not get that in a commercial road vehicle accident. Neither one should ever be allowed on a bridge again. Ain't it great to work for the state.
Old 11-14-2013

Steve in Idaho is on a distinguished road

"Both women were placed on paid administrative assignment."

I read right past that. No - that wouldn't be an option for me either. What a deal.
Old 11-14-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Direct link to report from WSDOT

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres...ortforWeb1.pdf

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 11-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
..."Both women were placed on paid administrative assignment." Wow, what a deal; you'd not get that in a commercial road vehicle accident. Neither one should ever be allowed on a bridge again. Ain't it great to work for the state.
Much as people like to jump to conclusions and suggest they're getting off easy by not being fired right away, the fact is that they need to get due process before disciplinary action is taken. "Jumping the gun" and firing them right away would invite a wrongful termination suit for a variety of reasons. One reason would be lack of equity with others who got due process, and they might even win on that count.

The state has "deep pockets" and well documented regulations. For that reason, they are an attractive target for lawsuits, especially if they do not follow all their procedures by the book.

So by putting these two on administrative leave, the state is building their case methodically, in a way that ensures that whatever action they take will not get overturned by the courts.

From what has been disclosed so far, I would be very surprised if these people keep their jobs. I would not want to be in their position right now. Their cushy desk job is probably only temporary, and their careers are probably destroyed.
jrd22 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)