Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best? - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What sailboat would be the perfect offshore bluewater cruiser for me?
Alberg 30 8 13.11%
Albin Vega 27 7 11.48%
Bristol 27 3 4.92%
Bristol Channel Cutter 28 13 21.31%
Cal 20 3 4.92%
Cape Dory 25D 0 0%
Catalina 27 2 3.28%
Contessa 26 4 6.56%
Pearson Triton 28 2 3.28%
Other 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Southport, Beaufort, or Norfolk to Bermuda is barely bluewater.
Dave, I know that you are an accomplished offshore sailor but east coast of US to Bermuda is “barely” bluewater? To be fair, it kind of depends don’t you think?
I’ve done it twice and yes, it’s not all that far distance wise but the gulf stream factor can certainly be a multiplier.

I understand your criterion of weather forecasting window but we don’t have Hawaii as a destination like the left coasters do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Chriscross80,

Just read through this thread....

I find a lot to laugh at and some just plane wrong. Like the statement, “Nowadays you wont get one of these boats through Panama Canal as they are too slow. The cost of the tug is more than the boats value.” I posted a Youtube video of a friends Nor'Sea transiting the canal!

I do have a preference for a couple of the listed boats and ANY of them, as was said in a post, “with work” could circumnavigate with the proper captain.

My wife and I moved aboard our Nor'Sea 27 in 1996. We retired and went out the Golden Gate and turned left in 2004. We had a family emergency that brought us back to the US in late 2008. We kept the boat in Guaymas Mexico for a few years and did commuter cruising. We now have her back in the US and UNLIKE many of the larger boats, on a trailer.

We now can cruise any port in the US and cross from one coat to the other in days! OR, circumnavigate IF we decided to, as MANY Nor'Sea boats have!

I also see a lot of talk about $$. When Jill and I were looking at and for a boat, we COULD have bought a much larger boat. HOWEVER, we also understand the cost of a boat is NOT ONLY the purchase price, but also the upkeep. Not only is our boat less expensive to asil and cruise, it's also less to not sail! Just now she is sitting on her trailer, in a storage space a mile or two from me as I do some refit projects and I can tell you, the cost of the storage lot is less than 15% of a slip!

A main thing that I would suggest is the OP read the books listed in posts, but consider that they are ALL old data to varying degrees. What with the wonders of computers and the net, surf for TRUE recent stories of boats you are considering!!! DO NOT take all the naysayers at face value! The FIRST thing you need to understand is, YOU are the captain of your own boat! You are responsible for your decisions!!!!! Don't let others chart your direction. Listen to everyone, but make up your own mind.

Make your decision then take a time to venture out small steps at a time, learning from each.

GOOD LUCK and have a GREAT adventure, it's all fun.

Greg

so, you retired in 96 went out the gate and turned left in 2004? then came back in 2008? But you were commuting and your boat was on a trailer??? What did you do for eight years outside the gate? Gets pretty nasty out side the golden gate much of the year.......I guess after 8 years at sea you must have been short on everything.
I understand your point about the economy and freedom one gets with a small boat I have two myself and looking to buy another only bigger maybe 30-42.
One more comfortable for the long haul

best wishes
B
Old 10-02-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

B,

I think you might have misread my post.

We moved aboard our 27 footer in 1996.

We both had jobs and worked until 2004.

In 2004, we went out the gate and turned left.

In 2008 we had a family emergency, put our boat in a slip on mainland Mexico and commuter cruised from here to there until we bought a trailer.

Now cruise half time, any place that has a good road leading to it.

We feel our boat is very comfortable to live aboard. NOT ALL trailer boats are, but many of them can be with a bit of work!

What we did think was interesting, during our cruising, three (3) boat owners offered to trade straight across, there boat for ours. All three offers were very serious offers. And the boats were in good condition, actively being cruised and in the 37 to 41 foot range, and well known cruising boat makes.

I think the offers point to the condition a lot of full time cruisers find themselves in. We met many cruisers "trapped" on there boats! They sold everything to go cruising and now can't get back as the boat has lost value. Or the boat was in an area that made it just to hard to get back home. They are paying bills month after month for a boat they no longer want in a place they are tired of going to and can't get the price they think they have to get.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

isn't the BCC 28 the boat that is based on the Pardey's Talesin?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 10-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
isn't the BCC 28 the boat that is based on the Pardey's Talesin?
More like TALIESIN was based upon the design of Lyle Hess, a couple of years after he drew the BCC...

Lyle C. Hess , Yacht Designer Profile : Bluewaterboats.org
Old 10-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Dave, I know that you are an accomplished offshore sailor but east coast of US to Bermuda is “barely” bluewater? To be fair, it kind of depends don’t you think?
I’ve done it twice and yes, it’s not all that far distance wise but the gulf stream factor can certainly be a multiplier.

I understand your criterion of weather forecasting window but we don’t have Hawaii as a destination like the left coasters do.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that comment as well... Using his criteria, I suppose it could be said Sydney-Hobart is not even close to being bluewater, as well :-)

Sailing from the NE to Bermuda is certainly 'bluewater' enough for me...

Particularly in November or December... :-)

jameswilson29 and TJC45 like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
More like TALIESIN was based upon the design of Lyle Hess, a couple of years after he drew the BCC...

Lyle C. Hess , Yacht Designer Profile : Bluewaterboats.org
I knew Hess designed their boat.. I was just not sure which came first

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 10-02-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
What we did think was interesting, during our cruising, three (3) boat owners offered to trade straight across, there boat for ours. All three offers were very serious offers. And the boats were in good condition, actively being cruised and in the 37 to 41 foot range, and well known cruising boat makes.

Greg

Sounds familiar. No one has asked to do a trade for my boat. Right after I bought my boat, it was stored on the trailer at the storage lot and I was asked by a few people if I was willing to sell it. One of them was also the manager of the storage lot and he even knew I just bought it and just jokes about it. I tell them, Not a chance!

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 10-02-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

For the very least expensive vessel which neverthless fits your plans, I would suggest a ketch rigged GulfStar.

They are very solid, provide great liveaboard room, can be single handed, have relatively low freeboard, and enough were built to provide choices to select from.

Those can be acquired fairly reasonably, i.e., NEGOTIATE HARD.
Old 10-02-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

Out of the whole lot, the BCC is just a sweet sweet vessel, and could take just about anything. But I don't think you can find one cheap, maybe wood?
After that, the Alberg30 or the Albin vega27.

All of them could do what you want, some would require beefing up. Comfort, not just space but sea kindly motion, should be considered too.

Sorry if this has been stated before. Good luck on your boat shopping.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Tags
bluewater , offshore , sailboat