Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What sailboat would be the perfect offshore bluewater cruiser for me?
Alberg 30 8 13.11%
Albin Vega 27 7 11.48%
Bristol 27 3 4.92%
Bristol Channel Cutter 28 13 21.31%
Cal 20 3 4.92%
Cape Dory 25D 0 0%
Catalina 27 2 3.28%
Contessa 26 4 6.56%
Pearson Triton 28 2 3.28%
Other 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

I agree with what was said about the BCC. Size wise, it's not too different from my boat, a Nor'sea 27, but both would be priced well over $10k. What came to my mind is the Albin Vega. Like john posted, check out the site for SV Lealea. The owners, Chuck and Laura, also have videos on Youtube showing some travels between Hawaii and the West coast. From what I have read, the Vega is a popular boat that will serve you well with good care.

I'm not sure how much headroom is available on the boats you are considering but don't be surprised if it's not quite enough. Don't discount a boat because of it either. I'm 6'5" and I don't have standing headroom down below.

Funny, I mention Lealea crew and here one makes a post

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
BCC does not really belong on this list. Not likely to find one for under $50k. If price was not a criteria, it for sure would be the boat I would choose.
Similarly, Cape Dory 25D is a cult boat (and accordingly overpriced). You can certainly get a comparably equipped CD28 for the same price which would be a better platform.
Old 09-15-2013
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyF View Post
These all seem really tiny for bluewater boats. You should pick up a copy of 'The Voyagers Handbook'. .
Agree Voyager's Handbook is a great book. Would point out that Beth describes 3 cruisers in that book and the smaller one "S/V Simplicity" is a "30' sloop" along the lines of the boats on your list.
Old 09-15-2013
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I wouldnt cross an ocean in any one of them (or two rafted up)

Not only wouldn't I but very few others would. I just dont see any in the cruising climes...

Smallest boat I have seen here this year is 33 feet. and thats the only one under 35.
Mark -
Most of us know you're opinion on creature comforts and more modern designs. That's cool (if I could afford the boat of my dreams -- or was committed to a multi year cruise -- I might go a little more modern in design too). What doesn't come through in your comment is that you aren't (I don't think) disputing the seaworthiness of the boats the OP lists. I think most of them are (and have been proven) capable of ocean crossings. Might be nice to clarify that for a newbie who is just trying to figure it out and doesn't have the 100K budget for a 3 yr circumnav like you did . . .. Anyway, don't wanna put words in your mouth but that was what popped out when I read your comment.
-Matt
Old 09-15-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Suggest reading John Neal's thoughts and scale them to your needs.

If your budget is limited I am in the "go small go now" school. Check out SailFar.net
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2013

tomquinn is on a distinguished road

Check out atomvoyages.com if you haven't already. He makes a strong case for the Pearson Triton. I think you could argue in favor of many of the boats on your list. Also, I wanted to commend you on keeping it small. Nothing against bigger vessels, but I think there is often too much emphasis on the size of the boat when people start talking bluewater. Best of luck in your search.
Old 09-16-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I voted for the Cal 20, hoping that you will buy it for your blue water travels, then report back to us on your epic voyage with photos and video!
TJC45 likes this.
Old 09-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I voted for the Cal 20, hoping that you will buy it for your blue water travels, then report back to us on your epic voyage with photos and video!
How on earth a Cal 20 makes the list of boats whose requirements are "good headroom" and "plenty of storage space below" is completely lost on me :-)

I'm afraid I'd have to vote for 'None of the Above'...

IMHO, barring the sort of exceptional 'find' like that couple cited from LATITUDE 38, the likelihood of shoving off with a "bluewater, liveaboard cruiser" for under $10K are slim, to none... Not if you want reliable diesel auxiliary power, at any rate...

I know, there are people who have done it... But the list of RECOMMENDED boats in which to do so seems pitifully small, to nonexistent, at least to me...

Mark is right, the pecentage of people cruising the world today in such boats is miniscule, indeed... Pretty much whenever I get 'out there' with my 30-footer, I am invariably the smallest boat in the fleet, and usually by a considerable margin...
Old 09-16-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Put the small Pacific Seacraft boats on the list: Flicka and Danna. I think they are about 22 and 26 respectively. Pacific Seacraft may have had a third under 30 model.
TJC45 likes this.

Last edited by LinekinBayCD; 09-17-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

All of the boats mentioned are basically sound and seaworthy boats, or at least they were at one time. Current condition may vary. How the %%%% a Cal 20 got in there I don't know though. While they have crossed oceans, they are quite cramped and it is kind of a stunt more than a cruise to take them offshore. We used to have one and I wouldn't want to be cooped up in that cabin for long. I voted for the Alberg 30 because it is the biggest on the list.
See the economics of world cruising thread - A couple got a Columbia 34 (or Cal 34??) for $2K with a dead engine, put a runninng Atomic 4 in it, got used sails for $100 each, and took off for the South Pacific with $400 to their names! So..........it can be done for cheap, depending on your tolerance for work, discomfort, and risk.

At least one Cal 25 has been around the world several times and they are fairly cheap. YMMV on what you think of outboards. Cheap to replace when they go bad for sure, but charging is minimal and going into a choppy sea with one is torture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 09-16-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Tags
bluewater , offshore , sailboat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.