Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best? - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What sailboat would be the perfect offshore bluewater cruiser for me?
Alberg 30 8 13.11%
Albin Vega 27 7 11.48%
Bristol 27 3 4.92%
Bristol Channel Cutter 28 13 21.31%
Cal 20 3 4.92%
Cape Dory 25D 0 0%
Catalina 27 2 3.28%
Contessa 26 4 6.56%
Pearson Triton 28 2 3.28%
Other 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

you said it. A true bluewater boat must have a well established reputation for living at sea under any and all conditions like the westsail 32, Citori, in the perfect storm. Don't remember the detyails but the coast guard I believe ordered the crew off but when the storm was over the Citori was found almost without damage. Now that's a bluewater boat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
you said it. A true bluewater boat must have a well established reputation for living at sea under any and all conditions like the westsail 32, Citori, in the perfect storm. Don't remember the detyails but the coast guard I believe ordered the crew off but when the storm was over the Citori was found almost without damage. Now that's a bluewater boat
Satori is a good example of a fine bluewater boat, hard time finding a bluewater capable westsail for 10k I would think, same with other boats on OP list. But I will argue that there are just as many documented passages of Trition, Albergs and Vegas that can all be had for much closer to his $10k target.

I paid $4800 for my Alberg 30, put $3000 in upgrading and replacing standing and running rigging and chainplates...I am fairly certain at this point the boat can handle a bluewater passage better than I could.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 09-29-2013

contrarian is on a distinguished road

There is a Nebe Cape 28 for sail on Sailing Texas for 17k and a 28 footer in Texas would be the size of a 45 footer anywhere else!
Old 09-29-2013

that's your choice. Keep in mind you have but one life to give to Davy Jones......But wouldn't you rather keep it for yourself to enjoy?
Old 09-30-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

If you want a boat to drift around storms with no one aboard, a Westsail 32 is likely a very good choice.

Old 09-30-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Chriscross80,

Just read through this thread....

I find a lot to laugh at and some just plane wrong. Like the statement, “Nowadays you wont get one of these boats through Panama Canal as they are too slow. The cost of the tug is more than the boats value.” I posted a Youtube video of a friends Nor'Sea transiting the canal!

I do have a preference for a couple of the listed boats and ANY of them, as was said in a post, “with work” could circumnavigate with the proper captain.

My wife and I moved aboard our Nor'Sea 27 in 1996. We retired and went out the Golden Gate and turned left in 2004. We had a family emergency that brought us back to the US in late 2008. We kept the boat in Guaymas Mexico for a few years and did commuter cruising. We now have her back in the US and UNLIKE many of the larger boats, on a trailer.

We now can cruise any port in the US and cross from one coat to the other in days! OR, circumnavigate IF we decided to, as MANY Nor'Sea boats have!

I also see a lot of talk about $$. When Jill and I were looking at and for a boat, we COULD have bought a much larger boat. HOWEVER, we also understand the cost of a boat is NOT ONLY the purchase price, but also the upkeep. Not only is our boat less expensive to asil and cruise, it's also less to not sail! Just now she is sitting on her trailer, in a storage space a mile or two from me as I do some refit projects and I can tell you, the cost of the storage lot is less than 15% of a slip!

A main thing that I would suggest is the OP read the books listed in posts, but consider that they are ALL old data to varying degrees. What with the wonders of computers and the net, surf for TRUE recent stories of boats you are considering!!! DO NOT take all the naysayers at face value! The FIRST thing you need to understand is, YOU are the captain of your own boat! You are responsible for your decisions!!!!! Don't let others chart your direction. Listen to everyone, but make up your own mind.

Make your decision then take a time to venture out small steps at a time, learning from each.

GOOD LUCK and have a GREAT adventure, it's all fun.

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 10-01-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
...I am fairly certain at this point the boat can handle a bluewater passage better than I could.

that would put it in the company of most boats that aren't already falling apart
Old 10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Satori is a good example of a fine bluewater boat, hard time finding a bluewater capable westsail for 10k I would think, same with other boats on OP list. But I will argue that there are just as many documented passages of Trition, Albergs and Vegas that can all be had for much closer to his $10k target.

I paid $4800 for my Alberg 30, put $3000 in upgrading and replacing standing and running rigging and chainplates...I am fairly certain at this point the boat can handle a bluewater passage better than I could.
lotsa sweat but you know every inch of her I'll bet which will make her easier to deal with if something does break.
I think most boats would likely do better without help in most circumstances.
Old 10-01-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

If I was just thinking about sailing across an ocean, Alberg 30 would be my first choice given a tight budget. It is a sturdy, no nonsense boat that is reasonably fast. You can get a decent one for under 8 grand, plus you have to spend another 8 for upgrades, extra sails and other blue water gear, maybe more. Still, that is not a lot of money all things considered. I would get to know the boat (and my responses) on short trips offshore, under 100 miles one way, to see if I can handle the boat and the ocean, gradually venturing out further and in less than ideal weather. That phase would still cost me less than 20 grand. If I did not like it I could cut my losses and sell the boat for 12 grand. Hopefully. Or keep the boat and just do coastal sailing, like most folks.
Old 10-01-2013

those are nice boats and can be had for a song

Tags
bluewater , offshore , sailboat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.