SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103742-offshore-bluewater-cruising-what-sailboat-would-best.html)

chriscross80 09-15-2013 04:48 PM

Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

So I'm in the process of trying to find the perfect bluewater offshore sailboat for me. A boat that will take me across oceans if I want to. I've been looking on Yachtworld alot of late.

Here are my needsÖ..the boat has to be pretty cheap (not more than $10,000), very seaworthy (I donít want to end up sinking in the middle of the ocean), lots of storage down below, able to use as a liveaboard, able to be sailed singlehanded, good headroom (Iím 6 foot 1).

I just read this book which had some good recommendations....

copacabana 09-15-2013 05:46 PM

Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

I think the BCC will be well out of your budget...

MarkofSeaLife 09-15-2013 05:51 PM

I wouldnt cross an ocean in any one of them (or two rafted up)

Not only wouldn't I but very few others would. I just dont see any in the cruising climes...

Smallest boat I have seen here this year is 33 feet. and thats the only one under 35.

RainDog 09-15-2013 06:25 PM

BCC does not really belong on this list. Not likely to find one for under $50k. If price was not a criteria, it for sure would be the boat I would choose.

zeehag 09-15-2013 07:44 PM

how many of the boats on your list have YOU sailed????
you have different criteria for comfort and pleasure than others, as does everyone.
YOU need to sail the ones in which you figger you have interest then decide. also, learn some boat building and other irrelevant stuff so you know what you are looking at and how it works.

HaleyF 09-15-2013 08:08 PM

These all seem really tiny for bluewater boats. You should pick up a copy of 'The Voyagers Handbook'. It has some really good info about the types of boats that do crossings and the hardware involved. I'm familiar with about half of the boats on your list and they would need a lot of upgrades for offshore cruising. Great for coasts though, and I imagine you could find a couple of them for under 10k. Crossing oceans is a whole different ball game.

There's also a thread on here with a long list of bluewater boat suggestions but I can't find it now! Maybe someone remembers what it's called?

manatee 09-15-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaleyF (Post 1089019)
These all seem really tiny for bluewater boats. You should pick up a copy of 'The Voyagers Handbook'. It has some really good info about the types of boats that do crossings and the hardware involved. I'm familiar with about half of the boats on your list and they would need a lot of upgrades for offshore cruising. Great for coasts though, and I imagine you could find a couple of them for under 10k. Crossing oceans is a whole different ball game.

There's also a thread on here with a long list of bluewater boat suggestions but I can't find it now! Maybe someone remembers what it's called?

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-r...ry-2008-a.html

okawbow 09-15-2013 08:21 PM

A properly modified Bristol 24 is comparable to the Pacific Seacraft Dana 24. (The ones with lead ballast) I like the B24 better than the CD 25D. Mine has a diesel, lead ballast, and 6' headroom. It's a tough little boat, and is stable and comfortable for it's size. They can be had for well under $10,000, even the ones that have been modified for offshore. I have mine on a trailer, and have trailered it as much as 1100 miles from home. I've done offshore over 100 miles at a time and averaged 5 knots under sail. 100 mile days are very doable. A little work and a less than $10,000 blue water boat is possible.

johnnyandjebus 09-15-2013 08:33 PM

To be upfront first thing;
I have never crossed an ocean in any boat.

With that said others have, in boats you are considering

Nick Jaffe | Bigoceans | Adventure, sailing & sustainable business

Home - Bika

Voyaging Under Sail, Cruising Lealea Home

The list can go on and on.

Not really anwsering your question I guess, just demonstrating that it can and is being done.

John

edit: I vote for the contessa 26 simply becuase I own one and she has a proven track record in regards to what you are considering.

vega1860 09-15-2013 08:45 PM

I suggest you subscribe to Cruising World, Sail, etc. and read everything by the Dashews. You will quickly learn that one simply cannot go cruising in anything less than a brand new $500K 40 footer or larger, as any fool already knows.

I wish someone had told me all this long ago and saved me the trouble of living aboard and cruising for the last 23 years in an Albin Vega 27. Had I only known, I would never have sailed (Three times) between Hawaii and the US Mainland and Alaska in it, cruised the San Juans, the US Pacific Coast and SE Alaska. Instead, I would still have a photo clipped from one of the above magazines taped to my refrigerator trying to save enough money to buy the afore mentioned 40 foot ketch. /s

Tania Aebi sailed around the world in a Contessa 26. Tony Skidmore, Nick and Jenny Coghlan and several others have circumnavigated in a Vega. Matt Rutherford sailed around the Americas, nonstop, through the Northwest passage and around Cape Horn in a Vega. Jarle Andhoy sailed from Norway to Tierra Del Fuego solo then, with crew, cruised Antarctica in a Vega.

$10K is a little light, even for a Vega, but it can be done if you ignore the marketing pressures of the advertising driven magazines and the advice of armchair sailors who "Wouldn't go cruising in anything less than (Fill in the blank)"