Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What sailboat would be the perfect offshore bluewater cruiser for me?
Alberg 30 8 13.11%
Albin Vega 27 7 11.48%
Bristol 27 3 4.92%
Bristol Channel Cutter 28 13 21.31%
Cal 20 3 4.92%
Cape Dory 25D 0 0%
Catalina 27 2 3.28%
Contessa 26 4 6.56%
Pearson Triton 28 2 3.28%
Other 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013

chriscross80 is on a distinguished road
Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

So I'm in the process of trying to find the perfect bluewater offshore sailboat for me. A boat that will take me across oceans if I want to. I've been looking on Yachtworld alot of late.

Here are my needsÖ..the boat has to be pretty cheap (not more than $10,000), very seaworthy (I donít want to end up sinking in the middle of the ocean), lots of storage down below, able to use as a liveaboard, able to be sailed singlehanded, good headroom (Iím 6 foot 1).

I just read this book which had some good recommendations....

Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere: John Vigor: 9780939837328: Amazon.com: Books Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere: John Vigor: 9780939837328: Amazon.com: Books

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

I think the BCC will be well out of your budget...
Old 09-15-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt cross an ocean in any one of them (or two rafted up)

Not only wouldn't I but very few others would. I just dont see any in the cruising climes...

Smallest boat I have seen here this year is 33 feet. and thats the only one under 35.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

BCC does not really belong on this list. Not likely to find one for under $50k. If price was not a criteria, it for sure would be the boat I would choose.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-15-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

how many of the boats on your list have YOU sailed????
you have different criteria for comfort and pleasure than others, as does everyone.
YOU need to sail the ones in which you figger you have interest then decide. also, learn some boat building and other irrelevant stuff so you know what you are looking at and how it works.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 09-15-2013

HaleyF is on a distinguished road

These all seem really tiny for bluewater boats. You should pick up a copy of 'The Voyagers Handbook'. It has some really good info about the types of boats that do crossings and the hardware involved. I'm familiar with about half of the boats on your list and they would need a lot of upgrades for offshore cruising. Great for coasts though, and I imagine you could find a couple of them for under 10k. Crossing oceans is a whole different ball game.

There's also a thread on here with a long list of bluewater boat suggestions but I can't find it now! Maybe someone remembers what it's called?
The Following User Says Thank You to HaleyF For This Useful Post:
OPossumTX (10-01-2013)
Old 09-15-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyF View Post
These all seem really tiny for bluewater boats. You should pick up a copy of 'The Voyagers Handbook'. It has some really good info about the types of boats that do crossings and the hardware involved. I'm familiar with about half of the boats on your list and they would need a lot of upgrades for offshore cruising. Great for coasts though, and I imagine you could find a couple of them for under 10k. Crossing oceans is a whole different ball game.

There's also a thread on here with a long list of bluewater boat suggestions but I can't find it now! Maybe someone remembers what it's called?
Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 09-15-2013

okawbow is on a distinguished road

A properly modified Bristol 24 is comparable to the Pacific Seacraft Dana 24. (The ones with lead ballast) I like the B24 better than the CD 25D. Mine has a diesel, lead ballast, and 6' headroom. It's a tough little boat, and is stable and comfortable for it's size. They can be had for well under $10,000, even the ones that have been modified for offshore. I have mine on a trailer, and have trailered it as much as 1100 miles from home. I've done offshore over 100 miles at a time and averaged 5 knots under sail. 100 mile days are very doable. A little work and a less than $10,000 blue water boat is possible.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 09-15-2013

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road

To be upfront first thing;
I have never crossed an ocean in any boat.

With that said others have, in boats you are considering

Nick Jaffe | Bigoceans | Adventure, sailing & sustainable business

Home - Bika

Voyaging Under Sail, Cruising Lealea Home

The list can go on and on.

Not really anwsering your question I guess, just demonstrating that it can and is being done.

John

edit: I vote for the contessa 26 simply becuase I own one and she has a proven track record in regards to what you are considering.

"If you canít explain it to a six year old, you donít understand it yourself.Ē
--Albert Einstein

Last edited by johnnyandjebus; 09-15-2013 at 08:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyandjebus For This Useful Post:
kegggggggg (09-16-2013)
Old 09-15-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

I suggest you subscribe to Cruising World, Sail, etc. and read everything by the Dashews. You will quickly learn that one simply cannot go cruising in anything less than a brand new $500K 40 footer or larger, as any fool already knows.

I wish someone had told me all this long ago and saved me the trouble of living aboard and cruising for the last 23 years in an Albin Vega 27. Had I only known, I would never have sailed (Three times) between Hawaii and the US Mainland and Alaska in it, cruised the San Juans, the US Pacific Coast and SE Alaska. Instead, I would still have a photo clipped from one of the above magazines taped to my refrigerator trying to save enough money to buy the afore mentioned 40 foot ketch. /s

Tania Aebi sailed around the world in a Contessa 26. Tony Skidmore, Nick and Jenny Coghlan and several others have circumnavigated in a Vega. Matt Rutherford sailed around the Americas, nonstop, through the Northwest passage and around Cape Horn in a Vega. Jarle Andhoy sailed from Norway to Tierra Del Fuego solo then, with crew, cruised Antarctica in a Vega.

$10K is a little light, even for a Vega, but it can be done if you ignore the marketing pressures of the advertising driven magazines and the advice of armchair sailors who "Wouldn't go cruising in anything less than (Fill in the blank)"

Tags
bluewater , offshore , sailboat