Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Inflatable kayak as a small boat tender

OK sir.... it track well in wind and current, because it has 4 small fins on the outer tubes that help a lot.

Can I sit down now??
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
OK sir.... it track well in wind and current, because it has 4 small fins on the outer tubes that help a lot.

Can I sit down now??
Is this the boat in which you took me and John back to the marina after your wedding? There was a bit of chop that night as well as wakes from boats. Seemed to do just fine and the boat felt stable getting off of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 09-17-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2013

kentobin is on a distinguished road

Hello Ferretchaser

My comment was generic and not directed specifically at you but thanks for posting the added information I'm sure someone will find it helpful.

Ken
Old 09-17-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Yup that is the one. Best all round small boat dink I have found so far for me
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 09-17-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I doubt whether an inflatable kayak would be sturdy enough to carry heavy stuff like fuel containers. There are three main considerations in a dink, 1.How far you can go in it comfortably against current, etc. 2. Carrying essentials 3. Where to put it.
Hard dinks are the best but take up a lot of room. There are some awesome rowable hull designs but they are heavy and usually>8' long.
RIBs are light, sturdy but do not row very well to go any distance without a motor.
Sea Kayaks are light, strong, can go anywhere but are very long, usually 16-18' or so and have to be kept on deck.
My solution to the no-outboard choice is to have a RIB, which rows fairly well and is sufficient 95% of the time. I also have an 8' high volume, steep creek type whitewater kayak which I can stow right down below. It will essentially go anywhere: shallow, rocky beaches, rough water, long distance, no problem. It has very little storage but groceries and small stuff fit behind the seat. It also serves as a great exploration boat and a very viable means of abandoning ship if within 30m or so of shore. It and the RIB can be stowed below on long passages, leaving the decks clear. My ideal dink would be a Whitehall rowboat but they are just too big.
Old 09-17-2013

brianc is on a distinguished road

I use an Innova Helios 2, and as far as inflatables go, it's really sturdy. It tracks pretty well if you remember to attach the fin underneath and is relatively stable. I take my dog back and forth to shore in it.

I went with the Innova vs some of the other models because I don't like the fabric bag protecting less durable innards and if I did spring a leak I could easily find and patch it rather than having to dig around inside a fabric bag.

The only drawback using this vs a dinghy is space...the max I can fit is two people and one dog (person in front holding the dog) with very little extra room for cargo.