Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Jib Sheets and Boat Shows

My starboard jib sheet on the Allmand got tangled in the prop a week ago, and I need to replace it. While I'm at it, I'm going to replace the port side sheet too. That means I'm going to be buying at least 100' of line (may also replace the main sheet while I'm at it, it's very stiff, though I may try the fabric softener idea first to see if that helps since the main sheet is still in decent shape). I've been reading the various threads about different manufacturers and their lines, which is all good. But now I'm trying to figure out whether to buy online now, or wait until the Annapolis boat show. Am I likely to get a crazy-good deal at the show? I think I have some line that I can use "for now" to get me through the next few weeks (in reality, I'll be lucky to go out 2-3 more times between now and the show), so it isn't super urgent, but if I'm only likely to save $10-20, it may not be worth the wait.

If it helps, I'll probably be buying either 3/8 or 7/16", depending on the specs for the specific line.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Jib Sheets and Boat Shows

Online is always less expensive than store bought; the boat show is good for 10-15% or more off, but is going to cost you between 20-50 bucks just to attend (parking etc.).

I tend to go to the show and shop and fill my need to handle something before I buy it, then go home and buy online because I hate carrying all that stuff back to the car.

I did not get into sailing because I have a need to save a few bucks here and there, but now that I'm hooked I've learned to wait for online sales and free delivery.
Old 09-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Chuck. I think I'm going to try to make it to the show this year anyway, so the cost of gas, admission, parking, etc. isn't really a factor. I thought my boys would enjoy getting around to see other boats, and I'd get a chance to see what accessories should go on my Christmas list.

I need to measure some of the extra cordage that I have at home to see if it really will meet my needs. If it will tide me over, then maybe I'll wait until there's a good sale.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

The biggest discount in line comes when you buy a whole spool, 600'.
Perhaps you can get together with several others in your area and purchase the line together.
aeventyr60 likes this.
Old 09-16-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

I've seen some vendors with "spool ends" at the show and WM will sometimes run sales on sta-set around this time of year.

I've seen quite a few posts from people who've been happy with Cajun Ropes (Cajun Ropes), but haven't used them myself. YMMV.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 09-16-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Whenever possible, I like to buy a full spool of rope (600 ft). It is much more economical that way. One full spool is just about right for replacing all the lines on most 30 footers. Of course buying it that way precludes color coding and getting different sized rope for control lines, sheets etc.

Rope should always be sized to fit the blocks and cleats on the boat to reduce wear and improve service life. On Lealea, we have to use 3/8 inch for halyards because of the size of the masthead sheaves. I find 7/16 is much easier on my hands so main and head sail sheets, which are handled frequently, and their blocks and cleats have been up-sized.

A Few Lines on Rope

The Following User Says Thank You to vega1860 For This Useful Post:
jimgo (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Jim,
Take your stiff main sheet home.
Tie it up into a daisy chain shape, stuff it in a pillow case and put it in your washing machine.
Use the gentle setting with some fabric softener (or other mild detergent).
Let 'er run.
No need to put it in the dryer, it will dry out in a few days and be much easier to handle.
YMMV.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-16-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Spools are great - if you want every line to be the same color.

Jim, I always factor the boat show attendance cost as just normal maintenance, of the soul, not the boat.
JimMcGee, jimgo and fred1diver like this.
Old 09-16-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Jib Sheets and Boat Shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Spools are great - if you want every line to be the same color.
Color coded lines are gay (In the original sense of the word, of course)

Old 09-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I find that buying cut offs allows me to get spool-like pricing with color coding and line weight matched to the need. I don't want my spinnaker topping lift to be 7/16" just because my heavy weather jib sheets are.

Search my old posts for information on Cajun line. It's very stretchy and no stronger compared to other options at about the same price (such as Samson LS).