Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
is there a place called little america

so here I am working in miami.a place called hialea where the majority of the population comes from some carribean country,and few people if any spika de eng.Ive got a chart of the carribean up in this x ray room that they all gawk at.they all come from someplace on that chart,but not here.they are all into motorboats, or that truck tire innertube thing from cuba(KOOBA).now lets see, theres little havana,little haiti,and Im wondering...if I go on a cigar collecting cruise will I find a place called little america?where they only speak english?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2004

boatbum is on a distinguished road

Yes, that is called Nebraska.
Old 09-03-2004

Dave A is on a distinguished road

Yes there is an actual place called Little America. It''s in Wyoming, it started as a truck stop/motel but has grown into a general rest stop half way across Wyoming. I haven''t been there since 1975 so it''s probably a lot bigger now.
Old 09-03-2004

I bet English is the preferred language.
Old 09-03-2004

here in the usa we have chinatown,little haiti,little havana,and probably other similar type places.without using the "N" word theres also lots of little africas.but I would like to know ,all kidding aside,supposing I went to a totally foreign country.Aside from U.S. military instillations,are there any places where they only speak english as a foreign language?
Old 09-04-2004

United Kingdom might be a good guess.
Old 09-04-2004

no.they already speak english there.I mean if I go to brazil,or columbia,or anywhere in central america,or any where in asia.I doubt it if there is a little america in greese or germany or mexico.thats because the new world(US) became a salad bowl or melting pot of immigrants from all over the world.no where else did this happen.
Old 09-04-2004

928frenzy is on a distinguished road

Actually, I''ve been to Greece several times and my wife is from there. From what I''ve been told (and can easily believe) many Greeks speak English. For some time now, all elementary and secondar students there are required to learn a second language. Most learn English, with French a distant second, and German in third place.

In Central America the country now called "Belize" was once call British Honduras. My guess is English is commonly spoken there. I think you''ll find English to be a common language among countries that were once part of the British Empire or were under its control for awhile. Some that come to mind are: Cyprus, India, Israel, South Africa, and many Carribbean Islands.

However, as someone who has traveled a bit, I think it is best to try to learn a bit of the local language and culture. Sort of a "When in Rome - do as the Romans" approach to interaction. Expecting others to speak English but not trying to learn theirs is a bit "Ugly American". :^(

~ Happy sails to you and Yasou! ~ _/) ~
Old 09-04-2004

Dave A is on a distinguished road

You are correct, I''ve spent time in Belize and English is the native language. You can check out a some of Belize at www.belizeyachtclub.com The country is a neat mostly unspoiled place. They have a great native beer called Belican ( spelling may be wrong) which is served ice cold everywhere.
Old 09-04-2004

waltward is on a distinguished road

Stacresttoo

I think we have a "Little America" at the South Pole, if I remember right.

But; I understand what you are after here. Here in the states we have small, well defined, pockets of people all of whom have the same indiginous heritage. We then call that Pocket Little - Whatever their country of origin. You are wondering if people from the U.S. have grouped together in similar small well defined areas in other countries, thereby creating a "Little America".

The difference is that so many people from so many other contries have come to the U.S. in groups, families, and singles, all planning to stay and create a new life. They have for the most part, not planned to go back. So, if they can band together I suppose they feel safer and have someone to talk to in their native tongue, while they struggle to learn english, and blend into society.

So far the U. S. has never had a mass export of people going to any particular country, with the same goales of staying and creating a new life for themselves and their families. We have to remember, those people all brought with them a heritage of at least hundreds of years and maybe thousands of years. We are bearly 230 years old, and we have never gotten together enough to have a heritage.

So; do we have "Little Americas" scattered around the world. I don''t think so! But if things keep going the way they are, we just might be exporting a whole lot of people, going elsewhere looking for a job, just like all the ones that came here. When that happens, will they band together in "Little Americas"? YOU CAN BET THEY WILL! By then we will have pissed off the rest of the world so bad, they will have to circle up the wagons and stay together for group self protection.

Walt Ward