Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Keep it at a dock or on the hard?

I have a trailerable 26 foot sloop. For the last 2 years I have kept it in the water at a dock for the summer but I am thinking of keeping it at a marina on the trailer. The marina has a launch and is secure. I would get a reserved spot in the yard to park my trailer, and vehicle when I'm out. Obviously all the rigging and mast can be left up so I would just have to hook the trailer to my truck and back it down the ramp. I spent a few years trailering aircraft around on an air craft carrier so I'm not worried about the actual movement of the boat. This will cut my summer cost from $1300 to $400. During the height of the summer season I go out 2 to 3 times a week for about 4 hours each time. The marina is right down the street from where I'm docked now and its only about 5 minuets from my home. Looking for some pros and cons from anyone that has done both.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Keep it at a dock or on the hard?

Well it would be a pain to have to launch it every time. I am assuming you can leave the rigging up if so it is likely worth the savings. I used to work at a marina (ran the restaurants) that had a launch service. It was really nice, you could call ahead and have the boat waiting at one of the transient slips. Heck some guys would call and I had food on the boat waiting for them too! We did not have any sailboats that we launched though, as it was on the Ohio River and there were not many sailboats there at all.

Last edited by miatapaul; 09-16-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

What you lose in spontaneity you make up in dollars in pocket. Add the cost of bottom paint and fenders etc.

In the end only you can decide.
Old 09-16-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

I guess the biggest downfall would be if you ever like to be on the boat at the marina while in the water. Our boat is on a mooring from May-October, and we spend many nights and a lot of time on the boat at the mooring.

I don't think the launch is that big of a deal, assuming you have a good ramp and adjacent dock. Once you get it down, you can probably get it dropped in within minutes.

A pro would be that it's probably better for the boat to be stored dry in the long run, and you can more easily work on the boat all season long as needed.

For me, I couldn't give up our mooring for anything, as we really do enjoy our time there when not out sailing or visiting other locations.
Old 09-16-2013
Tacky yet Unrefined

Squidd is on a distinguished road

I dryslip my PY26, mast up, because the saveings are significant. With a good landing and properly set up trailer launching is a ten minute deal...often I launch and load by myself. You can always get a transient slip if you want to hang around the dock...and next time get a different slip if you dont like the neighbors or view. I usually launch and anchor out for the weekend, just stopping at the marina for ice or apumpout.

Last edited by Squidd; 09-16-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Since you can leave the boat rigged and ready to go, I would probably opt for the "on the hard" option. If you had to rig/de-rig the boat and raise/lower the mast every time then I would say leave it in the water, no question.