Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013

fgarrettmunnoch is on a distinguished road
Sailing Product Research

Hi All
My name is Francis and I am a student at Dundee University. I need your help. I have entered into my final year studying product design and as a sailor for most of my life i would like to connect my hobby with my course. I am looking to create a product that has emotional attachment to the owner and is something that can be passed from generation to generation without the need for it to be through away or forgotten about. If anyone could tell me about parts of their boats/objects on, or in their boats that have this emotional attachment it would really help me out. It is quite an obscure question so if i have not described it enough please ask me more questions.
thanks
Francis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Product Research

I'm refreshing/rehabbing my boat, so I'll have an emotional attachment to most of it, especially the hull. Are you looking to create something ornamental or functional? Some functional things, like the tool for opening the fuel/water/holding tank covers, might be good candidates, but others, like winch handles, probably won't be.
fgarrettmunnoch likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarrettmunnoch View Post
... I am looking to create a product that has emotional attachment to the owner and is something that can be passed from generation to generation without the need for it to be through away or forgotten about...
Francis,

As described, this is impossible. I love my solar vent. If I sold the boat, I'd take it off and sit it on my mantle, maybe have the boat name engraved on it. My neighbor is especially fond of his winch handle and plans to leave it to his great grandson.

Everyone feels an attachment for something different on their boat so how can one product be created that covers everyone's emotional needs? Standard stuff like brass barometers that hung in grandpappy's wooden sloop that went around the world or the sextant that went to the South Pole, etc. have already been done.

Perhaps I'm missing something.
fgarrettmunnoch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-17-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I love my ancient Silva hand bearing compass. It was not intended to be used for sailing but for hiking but I have used it for everything including hiking, climbing, caving (it has provided data for numerous cave maps) and constantly use it for sailing. Whenever I sail, it is around my neck.
I've considered passing it to my kids but it is nothing but plastic and is old and scratched. Its value is purely sentimental for me but it represents a lot of my life.
Old 09-17-2013
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I've considered passing it to my kids but it is nothing but plastic and is old and scratched. Its value is purely sentimental for me but it represents a lot of my life.
To me, the monetary value means nothing. The fact that you loved it would be why I'd want to keep it.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 09-17-2013

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS; I'm sure everyone would love a working modle of thire own boat bet you can work your stuff on making it a reality AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
Old 09-17-2013

steel is on a distinguished road

It seems that things which the owner spends lots of their time with develop emotional attachments.

If the owner makes something, then he becomes emotionally attached to it. But this is a problem, because you can't sell it then. Is there some kind of kit that you can sell which which the owner will spend a lot of his time with and become attached to it?

Is this related to increasing revenue? Because having emotional attachment to something won't increase product sales. Having something that breaks after a given amount of time and must be replaced will.
Old 09-17-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

I'm fond of my spinnaker and winches but not emotionally involved with them or anything on the boat, closest would be my foulies and that's just 'cause it took a lot of rain in the face to make them look so broken in and salty.
I'm kind of baffled, maybe I don't understand the concept.
Old 09-17-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Have to say my splicing tools & collected knot notes. Thanks Fritz for getting me started many years ago.
Old 09-17-2013
A mod and her dragon

Everyone mentioned something different so I'm not sure how Francis could make his idea work.

What I could see is maybe some kind of decorative box with a plaque to hold whatever it is that was memorable. But even that's not too creative.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Tags
antique , attachment , culture , old boat , product