SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Important boat stuff you forget (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103811-important-boat-stuff-you-forget.html)

Don0190 09-17-2013 03:28 PM

Important boat stuff you forget

I'm pretty good at remembering to have the standard "important" stuff on the boat. You know things like: beer, soda, TP, maybe some food. But there are a lot of other real important stuff that I don't think of and maybe it is time to have a list.

From this weekend after solo sailing all day thinking about the beef I was going to grill on the BBQ:

lighter (or something that will work) to light the grill with

Please add to the list. :(

Tempest 09-17-2013 04:26 PM

Re: Important boat stuff you forget

I forgot to bring fresh limes last week and had to drink Gin and Tonics with a twist of lemon.

CalebD 09-17-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest (Post 1089863)
I forgot to bring fresh limes last week and had to drink Gin and Tonics with a twist of lemon.

Oh, the inhumanity of it all!!!

rikhall 09-17-2013 05:16 PM

corkscrew
coffee beans
inverter for coffee grinder
AeroPress Coffee maker
flashlight (headlamp)

Seaduction 09-17-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 1089829)
I'm pretty good at remembering to have the standard "important" stuff on the boat. You know things like: beer, soda, TP, maybe some food. But there are a lot of other real important stuff that I don't think of and maybe it is time to have a list.

From this weekend after solo sailing all day thinking about the beef I was going to grill on the BBQ:

lighter (or something that will work) to light the grill with

Please add to the list. :(

Welcome back Don.:):):)

Group9 09-17-2013 05:26 PM

Forgot and sailed off with my spinnaker pole on the dock. Came back and it was gone.

bacampbe 09-17-2013 05:35 PM

We keep a lighter on board at all times. But...

Anchored on the 4th of July after a long, hot day of sailing, waiting for the firework show. 10 people on board. Grill fired up, hot dogs cooking. From the galley:"Where are the hot dog buns?"

Lubrdink 09-17-2013 08:33 PM

The holding tank portion of the port-a-potty, much to the chagrin of the Admiral. Kinda doesn't work well with just the seat and wash tank. Very messy.

DRFerron 09-17-2013 08:38 PM

I have multiple hand held radios from when we had our 22 footer and I kept forgetting one at home. Thankfully Rock Hall has a West Marine.

Also, I started keeping dollar bills and quarters on board so I don't have to make change in the ice honor bucket and don't have to remember to take change down with me.

Harborless 09-17-2013 10:18 PM

Ill play.
Last week took out two work buddies first time sailing. Im an easy going guy and it was a SUPERB day on the water so I was not one to tell my two passengers it was to be a dry ride (different for passage making) so I told them to bring beer if they wanted. Forgot to mention ice however- at least I got to laugh at the faces they made trying to force down piss warm beer haha.

Two months ago on my first shakedown cruise left the inlet in big ground swells. I have a centerboard boat and the centerboard tubes foam insert has not been replaced since I had only been sailing the St. Johns river and never thought it prudent. Well suddenly I look down a mile out of the inlet and every trough the boat plowed into pushed a good pint to quart of water up the centerboard tube into the sole. I had to keep the engine running and both bilge pumps to keep the sole from being flooded and force my 8000 pound bruiser into ponce inlet against an ebb tide and south west wind with an 8 hp yanmar. I only made that mistake once.