SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

This curious nautical language

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  downeast450 
#1 · (Edited)
For a bit of fun:

Having recently completed a short stint on the full-rigged ship "Europa" (one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences for those living outside of the USA or Europe) it hadn't occurred to me before how much even our nautical language has changed in the years since the Age of Sail.

eg: Whilst "port" is still port and "starboard" is still starboard, a modern yacht skipper's perfectly reasonable command to "Overhaul the lazy sheet!" would probably be met with questioning looks by all but a small handful of people on this forum; whereas a square-rigger captain's command to "Splice the main-brace!" might have most forum members diving below with glee, whilst the Old Salts ponder what exactly might be wrong with either of the perfectly sound braces on the main-yard..

Anyone else got any examples?? :)

#2 ·
I thought it interesting that the American AC team was found guilty of the very traditional foul of "sand bagging."

#5 · (Edited)
Most of those in that list are in common use these days and the meaning hasn't changed, if at all..

eg: "Turtling" (actually the phrase is "turn turtle") describes what you do to catch and kill one. Flip it over on it's back from a ship's boat using a boathook or an oar and they lie there helpless, ready to be hauled on board for consumption.

#7 ·
I'm just happy every day that I don't have to HEAVE OUT AND TRICE UP or CLAMP DOWN ALL WEATHERDECKS. I bolded them because I never heard those commands when they weren't shouted at me.

Of course, Naval nautical terms have always been slightly different and non-applicable jargon outside of the canoe club in most cases. I guess you could still take a monkey's fist to the head if you were skylarking, or get waylayed by gear adrift should the vessel come about.

#9 ·
Swig up the halliards ?

Not completelly obscure but fading fast ... Handy Billy and the Blackwall Hitch.

Where would you find a Dandy or a Jigger ?

#10 · (Edited)
Swig up the halliards ?

Not completelly obscure but fading fast ... Handy Billy and the Blackwall Hitch.
Swig still means to take a little bit more in, whether that's on the halliards or a glass of booze, but "Handy Billy" is an interesting one.

Wikipedia and some USA sites seem to think it's some kind of portable pump(!)... and I've not seen any credible explanation for where the name came from.

#11 · (Edited)
My references all come from H.A.Calahan's "Learning to Cruise" written in 1934. Not all that long ago and yet all but one of those terms has either disappeared or been replaced by close variation.

Halliard more commonly spelt Halyard today. I'd never seen the Halliard spelling before this.

Blackwall Hitch is still in use it seems. Handy Billy is a form of black and tackle.

Dandy and/or Jigger is a form of mizzen sail, most commonly seen on yawls.

#12 · (Edited)
Halliard more commonly spelt Halyard today. I'd never seen the Halliard spelling before this.
Since the original term was "haul-yard" - because, on a square-rigger, it's the rope you use to actually haul the yard up, sail attached, once you've got it unfurled and sheeted to your liking - the spelling shift is an odd one indeed.

Blackwall Hitch is still in use it seems.
.. as is the Topsail Hitch, even though neither find much use on a modern yacht.

Handy Billy is a form of black and tackle.
..and a pump if you're American. Worked by blacks perhaps, TD??

Dandy and/or Jigger is a form of mizzen sail, most commonly seen on yawls.
..and on a great many full-rigged ships, so that one will be around for a while yet. It does tend to dance around a bit when sailing down-wind though, and perhaps that's where the reference to certain types of people came from. ;)

#17 ·
Lot's of lines run to the spinnaker pole. Technically, you're thinking of the brace aren't you?? :confused:

Certainly whatever it is you're meaning by "blow the guy" isn't in any old-time nautical language list I've ever seen - it doesn't even sound nautical.. ;)

#18 · (Edited)
The gammon is the the bracket that bolts or lashes the bowsprit to the stem head and prevents it from lifting (pull of fore stays) Sailors sitting in the bows may have a chat and so are having a gam. A four masted vessel has its jigger aft of the mizzen. A handy billy ,, a pair of small blocks, usually one has a hook but the other has a short line to lash to larger line or shroud with a rolling hitch. I use one to set up my lanyards and deadeyes.Swigging up is the last bit of bouse and tail (before haul yard winches) Sort of like snugging the snotter. Now if you knew what's a snotter!! Would it help to know it goes though the beehole.? Even a little nipper knows that.

#20 · (Edited)
The gammon is the the bracket that bolts or lashes the bowsprit to the stem head and prevents it from lifting (pull of fore stays) Sailors sitting in the bows may have a chat and so are having a gam.
IIRC, the word "gammon" also describes the rope lashing that keeps the topmasts in place and "gammoning" the job of actually doing it... but either way, in the bows or up the mast, in a decent swell it sounds like hard work to me! :)

"Snugging the snotter.." - I like that.

Repeat after me: "Serve and parcel with the lay, turn and serve the other way." A laborious and messy job unless you happen to really like the smell of Stockholm Tar. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.