Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Aren't boats too easy to steal?

My outboard sits in a well that is locked with a padlock. I then thread a short bike lock through it and around the tiller, effectively binding it to starboard. I simply trust that any would-be boat thief would choose any number of the hundreds of boats that are not secured in any fashion whatsoever. I did recently lose a winch cover, but I don't know if it was stolen or if it simply blew off...
Old 09-18-2013

mattt is on a distinguished road

I think the real issue for thieves would boil down to, "OK, now what?" So you've stolen a sailboat, a really nice one. Where the hell do you take it? How do you turn it into money? How do you NOT get caught? The damn thing only goes about 5mph. I think it would be a non-starter for most thieves.
T37Chef likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
Sheet!

Thread title reminded me that I left my ign key hangin' in the switch!
No worries, as there's lotsa folks about that keep an eye on our little marina
Where'd ya say yer marina was??
Old 09-18-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Easy to steal. But hard to HIDE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 09-18-2013

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

Down here in Key West we have a lot of people that will break in to boats so pad locks are good, cause yea thieves generally don't know how to sail. Same thing on the dinghy dock, I have a big chain and lock on the dink, though the motor I just put on doesn't have a lock but it looks really old and the number appears to be a 3.9 (the first 9 didn't fair so well) so people generally just laugh at it. Things do go missing out of dinghies though.

Also I sail with a spot so my family can see where I am and I can check in so they are not all worried. They sell a nicer version that has a keypad to deactivate and they monitor it and call as soon as any unauthorized boat movement occurs, in the case of powerboats they can even shut you down remotely, can't douse your sails, but it is pretty sweet. My friend just bought a powerboat with one.

I did have a habit of leaving my keys in the ignition or the padlock next to my companionway, guess we all have our moments
Old 09-18-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

About 4 keys will start 90% of the airplanes that even use keys
Like boats, most people don't know how to operate them or what to do with them if they do steal one.

Outboards and inflatables are what get stolen.
Then there is the "drunk late night regatta party" where people take the first dinghy they see and then that dingy's real owner swipes another one and so on and so on. They all get sorted in the morning though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-18-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
But just because its not offered in the showroom doesn't mean you can't beef up security yourself

Some dont cost much at all!

I use this when I am onboard at night.
I looked at similar implementations when I first moved aboard but decided they present a potential fire hazard, and ended up skipping the idea. Though, I have been toying around with the idea of implementing some sort of screen that lets air flow, while keeping out critters (i.e., cats, dogs, squirrels, raccoons, etcetera).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The murders on board during the time I have been cruising all occured on boats unsecured... intruders get on board and walk below, or the owner comes out himself.
What are the statistics of people being murdered by strangers while sleeping on a boat? Just curious.

As for this topic. I have admittedly marveled that theft seems to be fairly low, considering all the expensive hardware around. Like others, the things that seem to get stolen the most around here are dinghies and O.B. motors. But even then, that seems fairly light, as our local LE beefed up their surveillance (i.e., air birds & water patrol) at night.
Old 09-18-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
You can't really take off all your deck hardware every time.
The things that a grab-and-go thief would take, the things that are quick and easy to take off, are... well, quick and easy to take off.
Faster likes this.
Old 09-18-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

We have turning blocks on tracks on one of our boats, and those go into the padlocked cabin when we're away from the boat. However, it would not be obvious to most non-sailors, and even to some sailors, how to remove these, and we should probably maintain this ignorance.
Old 09-18-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Who needs a key to start an inboard diesel? All you need is a screwdriver to jump the starter, and all boat owners should know how to do this for when the day comes that the key/start button corrodes and doesn't work.

If someone goes to all the trouble to go out onto my boat on its' mooring in the dark I doubt that locking the hatch boards is suddenly going to stop them from getting inside. In the end I still lose the stuff they take plus now I have to repair all the damage when they kick in the companionway.
davidpm likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.