Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Aren't boats too easy to steal?

If the average thief has trouble with a manual transmission car.. imagine them puzzling over the rig of a simple sunfish.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I have the best solution.
I leave the keys in the ignition.
Have an old Atomic 4 gas engine with a leaky carburetor.
Whenever I start it it up I have to bail the gas from the bilge then run the bilge blower for no less than 10 minutes.
She starts up just fine.

My neighbors all know what a piece of crap the boat is and all vacate the premises when anyone even looks at my boat much less trys to start it.

The marina is have some financial problems so they park me pretty close to the waste fuel and oil tank.

We actually post on multiple blogs telling folks how bad the security is at our marina.

So go ahead and steal it we are actually sort of counting on that.

PS
This story is fictional in all aspects.
The poster does not condone blowing up anyone even stupid people.
But he does have a twisted imagination.
TakeFive and blutoyz like this.
Old 09-18-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road

It'd be like stealing my net worth. You can have my 2k in the bank but you have to take my 50k student loans and my 3k credit card bill. You can have it.

Having to pay for winter storage in ma makes you sort of wish someone would steal it. Just kidding hand of god!!!
davidpm likes this.
Old 09-18-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road

As others have indicated, it isn't the (sail)boat that interests thieves but rather the gear. A few years ago someone decided they needed the upper chain, mooring buoy and pickup pennant I was using. They disconnected the parts noted above and re-attached my boat to the upper swivel of the mooring! It was a bit frustrating in that I couldn't go sailing until I procured more chain and another mooring ball (which I ended up making as the real ones are pricey).

Just yesterday I rowed out to the mooring again to inspect it for the coming winter months. Would you believe this time someone took 18' of good upper chain and replaced it with 6' of wire-thin worn out links? Possibly some local yocul with a boat (and maybe some chain cutters). So much for the perceived innocence of sleepy and quaint little sea-side towns.
Old 09-19-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

My money is on scrappers
Old 09-19-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I bet if you advertized "will steal your boat" you would get quite a few directions, locations of keys, lock combos, etc. as long as you promised the boat would never be found
eherlihy and tsell like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

My boat lives in a slip on a pier that has several live-aboards. They know me, and have my cell number. Earlier this year there were some thefts at the marina... mostly gear - propellers from outdrives and similar. I was once called on my cell because my wife's cousin was looking at my boat. I thanked the caller, and let him know that I was below at the time.

For security of my possessions, I always stow my instruments (Garmin GPSmap 478 chart plotter & Echo 200 fish finder) from the binnacle below, and cover the binnacle. I also lock all the hatches, and the companionway with a keyed lock.

The only parts of sailing that scare me are leaving the slip, and returning to the slip. I can't imagine anyone, other than me, trying to back my boat safely out of my slip. I will admit here that the first few times that I tried were not pretty...

My biggest fear is that some kid may come along, and simply uncleat the lines, and watch the boats bounce off of each other as the tide and wind push them around. However, I rely on the security at the yard (someone walks the docks at least twice a day) to ensure that this does not happen.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-19-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

We had a power boat stolen from the marina a few years ago. Twenty something yellow center console. Guy who owned it was driving through a neighborhood a few weeks later and saw it sitting on a trailer.

Hard to hide a sailboat. Dinghys and motors do occasionally get stolen from moorings in Portland. A friend had his dinghy stolen off his mooring by some kids. They were dumb enough to be horsing around right in the mooring field. My buddy caught them but did not prosecute. He later found they had also stolen some other stuff at the same time but never confessed to. Next time he hauling them off to jail.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-19-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

The best bit of boat security is to leave the " things to do " list in plain view on a cabin table. Ant thief who sees that will run a mile to get an honest job istead of stealing a sail boat.

ATB

Michael
Tim R., davidpm and emcentar like this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 09-19-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

One place we anchor when out cruising has a tricky entrance to navigate. Unless they are very careful, they'd run hard aground right where everyone would be staring at them.

Otherwise, when moored and we aren't on the boat, we could take the dinghy and quickly catch up with them.

Oh, and we have webcam on board that sends me an email whenever there's motion inside the salon. Last fall we "caught" the marina manager as he was preparing to haul the boat out. I have the picture somewhere if anyone wants to see it.

The system is also configurable to send an email when the shore power gets accidentally disconnected. That's more for winter in-water storage. Right now it emails me when the bilge pump turns on.

Regards,
Brad
davidpm likes this.
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 09-19-2013 at 12:11 PM.