SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Looking for a magazine comparable to "Boatworks" (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103847-looking-magazine-comparable-boatworks.html)

krazzz 09-18-2013 02:31 PM

Looking for a magazine comparable to "Boatworks"

Hello,
I purchased a boat a few years back that came with a dozen or so back copies of Boatworks and I have read them all cover to cover. I really enjoyed how they were full of How-To guides and other practical tips. I found out that they are were no longer being published and that Sail is supposed to be the replacement magazine. I have subscribed to Sail for over a year now and while it is a fine magazine it just isn't what I am looking for. It seems to be more for the person who is shopping for a new 50+ footer. It seems to be more about the fancy new boat reviews than it is fixing up/maintaining an old boat. Again, if I was in the market for a brand new boat this magazine would be right up my alley but I am not. Can you recommend a magazine that is comparable to what Boatworks used to be?

mad_machine 09-18-2013 02:32 PM

Re: Looking for a magazine comparable to "Boatworks"

fixing up a boat? I am a fan of "good old boat"

krazzz 09-18-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1090376)
fixing up a boat? I am a fan of "good old boat"

Yes, bought an old Ericson 32 that I am restoring/upgrading.

I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

CLucas 09-18-2013 03:07 PM

+1 on Good Old Boat. Boatworks is till published as a occasional supplement to Sail magazine and there is also a helpful online archive at Boatworks | Sail Magazine.

bljones 09-18-2013 03:36 PM

Good Old Boat
Small Craft Advisor (even if you don't own a small boat, it is a great read wiht great tips and columnists.)
Practical Sailor (dry as melba toast, but exhaustive reviews)

mombemoo 09-19-2013 05:28 PM

+1 on Good Old Boat. I was in search of a magazine like that and found it at the Boat Show a couple of years ago. Great Great magazine.

Barquito 09-19-2013 06:39 PM

GOB fan too. This forum is actually a great source of information, if you dig.

aelkin 09-19-2013 07:40 PM

++1 on Good Old Boat.
WoodenBoat is also full of good tips, and some beautiful photos.

Cheers!
Andy

Omatako 09-20-2013 03:23 AM

I know it's not American but take a look at Practical Boat Owner (commonly called PBO and it's British), it deals with smaller boats and lots of DIY stuff.