Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Re: Musings of a Live Aboard

Actually, never mind. It just crossed my mind that while this might not be a hardship for livaboards that don't cruise, washing laundry while away from port would be a significant chore.
Old 09-21-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

When I was a kid in the U.S. Navy, we washed out whites by dragging them on a line behind the ship while at sea. After about 30 minutes they were spotless and looked great. Then they were wrung out by hand, and rinsed in freshwater in the sink, wrung again, and hung on the lifeline with tie strings that went through the belt loops. Yeah, once in a while you lost a pair of trousers, but it was rare.

Unfortunately, the water in Chesapeake Bay and most of the ICW is too dirty to wash your clothes with, especially if the item is white. But, if you're 2 to 3 miles offshore and headed south, just drag those clothes behind the boat for 30 minutes, then rinse them in the galley sink - no wash machine necessary. When soap and water agitation was needed, we used a 5-gallon plastic bucket, clean salt water and dawn dish detergent. The agitator was an ordinary toilet plunger (plumber's friend) - it worked great. This was followed by a saltwater rinse, then a freshwater rinse in the galley sink.

Cheers,

Gary
vega1860, gamayun, DJR351 and 1 others like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
..................... washing laundry while away from port would be a significant chore.
We don't have much difficulty with laundry while cruising. We don't wear as much underway,- swimsuit-shorts & t-shirt..... bed sheets come out in the rain. We do much cleaning in a good rain!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 09-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

This one unit washes and dries:

Musings of a Live Aboard-washer-dryer-2.jpg

However, it can use more water to dry than wash, as it heats the unit to create condensation and then washes it overboard. They make a vented model that is better, if you are able to figure out how to vent. Drying doesn't work well on this one, takes a ton of 110v power and water. If one can, its best to wash, spin well and hang dry. We use ours while cruising, but try to limit ourselves to quick dry synthetics. Cotton towels and sheets are nearly futile and we just wait to get to a marina for those and bring spares.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

With teak cockpit floors, if it's liquid and red, its banned. If it's greasy, its banned. If you're not sure, its banned.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-21-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
With teak cockpit floors, if it's liquid and red, its banned. If it's greasy, its banned. If you're not sure, its banned.
Wait, are you saying no steak, burgers or red wine in the cockpit?
Old 09-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Wait, are you saying no steak, burgers or red wine in the cockpit?
Not until the skipper is liquored up and doesn't care. Everything has an antidote.
AlaskaMC likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-21-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
OK, so here's a really naive question. Is there a size of boat at which an apartment-size washer/dryer (the little units with washer on bottom and dryer on top) becomes viable? Or do they generate too much heat, or too much grey water? Obviously I'm referring to a boat that is in a marina slip with shore power.

I've always had a dream of living on a boat, but realize that it will probably never happen. (Still I can dream.) For my wife, the thought of having to walk to use shoreside facilities makes it a non-starter, and using coin-operated laundry facilities would not be to her liking. Short showers on the boat would work for her (as we learned while chartering), but the laundry thing has no viable option unless there was something we could install on a large enough boat.
Clearly, you have too many clothes

When we were both still working full time and living aboard, we just dropped off our clothes once a week and picked them up washed, fluffed and folded. We found it a very practical solution. Now that we have more time on our hands (And fewer clothes) we do our own laundry ashore. It can be a great social activity.

Come to think of it, in Honolulu we know two enterprising live-aboard teenagers who would pick up your laundry from your boat, and return it washed, dried and folded (For a small fee of course)

Last edited by vega1860; 09-21-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: forgetful
Old 09-21-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

At Fort Myers Beach in SW Florida there used to be a combination bar and laundromat next to a dinghy dock. I hope it's still there,- we haven't cruised there in a few years.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 09-21-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

FWIW, my wife once went into a laundromat and found someone who had gotten his sneakers all wet and muddy in the rain. He took his shoes (mud and all), threw them in the dryer, and inserted his coins to dry them out. Ever since then, she has absolutely refused to ever use a laundromat. (Well, maybe once she made an exception when we were on vacation for 2 weeks and ran out of some essential clothes items.)

I know that when cruising on vacation, laundry is almost unnecessary because you wear much fewer clothes (mostly bathings suits and T-shirts in our case). And I had forgotten how well lifelines and heavy clothespins could work for drying - we did that when we chartered.

But my question was more directed at full-time liveaboards, where you need to eventually confront the issue of laundry. Given my wife's aversion to public laundromats, it is a major issue that we would have to deal with. Like I said, liveaboard just ain't gonna happen for us, so it's largely hypothetical anyway.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)