Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Reasons for taking off cruising

It occurred to me that there are three main reasons why someone might decide to head off for extended cruising. For most people each of the three will play some role in making the decision.

1. You want to get away from what you currently have. Could be a whole bunch of things ranging from traffic, fear of crime, being fed up with winter weather, family situation, whatever.

2. You want to visit exotic locations that you have only read about or perhaps did not even know existed.

3. You want the adventure of getting there along with the satisfaction you derive from doing it all yourself.

In our own case I would say it was 5%/65%/30%.

Curious to hear the experience of others and whether there is a difference in the take of people who have actually done long term cruising when compared to those at the planning and dreaming stages.
jameswilson29 and contrarian like this.
Old 09-21-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Reasons for taking off cruising

I have none of No.1 and an even mix Nos. 2 and 3.

The first time I entered a new port that I'd never been to after sailing there in control of my own boat, I knew I wanted to do a lot more of that. It is a most satisfying feeling (for me anyway) and I've been lucky enough to do it many times since - the compulsion never lessens.

Also the thought of getting of the employment treadmill is very appealing and whilst that appears to be a small element of No.1 in the mix it isn't really because getting off the treadmill is desirable to me whether I go sailing or not.
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I agree with the feeling of arriving somewhere. My first offshore passage was to Bermuda in the days before electronic nav, at least affordable electronic nav. A bit of sextant work but mainly dead reckoning since it was cloudy most of the way. Incredible feeling to find the island pretty much where it was supposed to be. Last big gee-whiz moment was arriving off the South African coast after a typically rough passage from Mauritius. Something about the idea that there were lions and elephants just where I was looking was quite magical for some reason.
bljones, DJR351, jimgo and 1 others like this.
Old 09-21-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

I think it's just how certain people are put together.

Some are just at their best when they have what they know at their backs, and what they don't know spread out across the horizon in front of them. I think people who do this are born that way, and they have a history of wandering off that goes back to when they were children dreaming of far away places, watching clouds, and exploring the countryside.

The drive behind cruising is the same drive that compels people to move from place to place often, hike long distances, ride motorcycles across the country, live in rv's, jump trains, etc. I don't think there is any real reasoning behind it, it just is what it is.

Gather no moss.
Brent Swain likes this.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Our cruising plans are spurred on by a number of driving forces. Some overlap with your three categories KS, but are somewhat different. Each expresses a world of ideas that are important for how me and my partner choose to live. We live with these ideas whether we are off wilderness sailing, or living on land.

Creativity is a life-giving view of the world. For me it means seeking new ways of doing things, and simply enjoying the aesthetic of the here and now.

Learning ... never stop learning. Living off the prescribed path is a great way to foster this.

Adventure comes in all forms, be it the big sail, or the small walk. I will never shatter records, discover new things, or challenge the gods of nature in any way, but I do enjoy poking into that unknown cove, or trying that weird looking vegetable.

Freedom drives much of what we do. To me freedom is the ability to do what I want, when I want. It's an ideal which is never full reached, but I can do some things to go toward the Form of Freedom. For me (and not necessarily for anyone else):
  • I avoid debt (b/c this is one of the ways our society keeps people chained to the treadmill).
  • Keep mechanical & electrical systems simple (b/c I'm not much of handyman).
  • And live inexpensively, (b/c I'm kinda lazy and don't like wage work).

Cessation is my active way of ceasing to be part of the problem. From over-consumption to financial greed, my society does great harm to the planet we all call home. I don't have the energy to try and save the world, but I can stop being part of the problem (at least to some degree).
Old 09-21-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Education.

I had an epihany that in this vast universe I exist for not more than a speck in time. As such it occured to me that living based on the perceptions of others is worthless. As such I decided I would take no active part in the race of rats. I am doing this all for freedom, self purpose, and adventure.
Were all just specks in time..
smurphny, Group9 and Brent Swain like this.
Old 09-21-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I've done a fair bit of travelling in my time but I have never visited a port that I didn't think how grand it would be to enter said port under ones own steam .... or sail.
Brent Swain likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-22-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

2 and 3 all my life. Wanderlust gallops in the family. 1 has been steadily growing as I
continue running into that small percentage of people that try to make my life miserable. I have the reasons just no boat yet.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 09-22-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I believe I was just born that way.
As a child I crossed the Atlantic to Europe on the QE1 and traded my time walking dogs from the kennel for free run of the ship; engine room to bridge.
At 12, I was commercial fishing the West Coast from Mexico to Alaska. I've never had a 9 to 5 that lasted more than a couple of months and do not feel like myself if I'm a hundred miles inland from the ocean. Sailing the Great Lakes was really weird; plenty of water, but no salt.
There were no sailors or seafarers in my family history, but I honestly believe I had no choice.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 09-22-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I've done a fair bit of travelling in my time but I have never visited a port that I didn't think how grand it would be to enter said port under ones own steam .... or sail.
Yes, I do that too. One of my favorites is a tiny spot in England called Lulworth Cove. I sat on the beach for an hour visualising sailing into the cove and thinking of where we would anchor when we came.

Another one is St Catherine's Dock in London. Sadly because of our age we'll not be doing a circumnavigation so many of the places I have visited and visualized about sailing into including this one, will never happen.

But I still do it every time (visualize)
tdw and Brent Swain like this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke