Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013

sailordoc is on a distinguished road
Morris 34 owner looking for partners

Dear fellow sailors,

I own a Morris 34 ("Siddhartha", hull #1, Cruising World's 1999 Overall Boat of the Year) and absolutely love it. I have had a blast sailing her in Penobscot Bay, Maine, since I purchased her, two seasons ago.

However, I just learned that, due to professional obligations, I will need to move to another country, to which taking her would not be practical

I'd very much like to continue to own her, but it would not make any sense to do it having only 4-5 weeks/year to use her

Then, after thinking a lot about it, after having thought about having her chartered (she has never been and I no longer plan to do it), and selling , I came up with what I believe is a great idea, that would certainly work very nicely, I believe, for other sailors who have the same desires but also the same kind of constraints/restrictions:

My idea is to find seven partners who would own each a 12.5% share of Siddhartha, would probably get at least 5 weeks each of use per year (or more), but what's really different about such arrangement is that I plan to have an "administrator" (ideally a professional of the field) and to take Siddhartha every year to a different (to be decided by the owners, through vote) summer and a different winter location (including, possibly, the Carribean) - so that each owner will be able to sail his/her own impeccable boat at different sailing grounds.

I believe it will be a lot better than chartering other boats, does it make any sense? Not to mention that, for little more than 25k (to be financed) each one will have ownership of a boat that would cost, new, around 600k. And annual expenses, including transportation, will, of course, be split in 8

For pictures and more details please google "Morris 34 Siddhartha" and you will find a link - a PDF brochure can be downloaded from there (it was prepared for chartering - again, no longer my plan).

What's your opinion about my idea? Anyone possibly interested?

Thanks for reading, best regards and nice winds to all of you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013

Schminema is on a distinguished road
Re: Morris 34 owner looking for partners

I think that's a great idea, and I would definitely be interested. I love Morris yachts.
Old 10-02-2013

sailordoc is on a distinguished road
Re: Morris 34 owner looking for partners

Great, Schminema, please let me know your questions. There is already another person potentially interested, so we are three already, five more to go.

I am trying to get Morris Yachts more enthusiastic about this idea (they could be the "administrator"), so the more of you gets interested, better chances of them getting directly involved.

If I don't find all partners within a few months, unfortunately, I will have to sell her (hopefully not the case).