Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013

doug1957 is on a distinguished road
Wacky Wind

Sailing in Casco Bay, Maine yesterday was a bit challenging. Going off the mooring, we saw the wind was at 17 kts, so decided to reef and put out only the staysail as the wind was supposed to kick up. After going 2 kts in an 8 kt wind we put up all the sails.

The wind varied in direction by about 15 degrees, which made beating difficult, and the speed varied from 8 or 9 kts with gusts to 20, which nearly buried the rail and caused loss of control until we dumped the main and the jib (maybe we should have pulled in the jib and just gone with the stay?). Between this and the fog we called it a day and went back in.

Suppose we weren't daysailing and had to continue? What are your tactics for dealing with very gusty wind. Do you under canvas to prepare for the worst or set sails for the predominant speed and adjust for the gusts? I can see merits in both.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Wacky Wind

Doug:
I think it would depend on the amount of effort you wanted to put into sailing the boat and how long you anticipated the conditions lasting. More a matter of personal sailing style rather than doing "what is right".
killarney_sailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 09-22-2013

Johnnycatt is on a distinguished road

as the golf slogan goes... "Grip it and Rip it!"

I prepare for the lightest condition and dump the main when it gets too "hot".. but I'm on meds for it, now!!
Old 09-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Also depends on your comfort level... If you find it difficult to manage the puffs, you may be better off under-canvassed and "suffer" through the lulls... As your confidence grows you can lean towards the opposite.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-22-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

A question of philosophy.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-22-2013

bacampbe is on a distinguished road

The OP describes what we consider nice sailing conditions on north Texas lakes :-)

I didn't catch the size of his boat. Our Bene31 is not hard to control under those conditions, but it behaves much as you describe under full sail when when the winds get maybe 5 kts higher.

A lot of this depends on your boat, and sail conditions. I have two strategies for these conditions. If I'm trying to sail fast, we just try to read the wind for the gusts, and drop the traveler when they happen to try to avoid rounding up. I may go ahead and flatten the main as much as I can, and move the jib fairleads back. Maybe add some twist to the main. Crew on the windward rail helps a lot more than I thought it would in a boat this size. I don't have an adjustable back stay; if you do you might see if putting on some backstay helps.

OTOH, if I'm just cruising around and don't want to make my main trimmer work so hard, I will may go ahead and reef at least the main. It will be slower in the lulls, but more controllable in the gusts.

Last edited by bacampbe; 09-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2013

Thanks all for your ideas. We've been in 25 kts steady and had a blast, but this was a different beast entirely. You've definitely given me some ideas to try the next time. It seems it comes down to how hard do you want to work and how long is it going to be like that? the boat can definitely take it - it's really hard to bury the rail, so I don't worry about going over too far. For me, it was the complete loss of control (rounding up) until we dumped the main and (emphasis) jib. That was a new learning experience. I haven't reefed the jib as we usually just go with the staysail in high winds, but in this kind of situation, it may be worth a try.
Old 09-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

What boat are you sailing?

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 09-22-2013

Shannon 28 cutter. I don't think the boat's the problem.
Old 09-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1957 View Post
Shannon 28 cutter. I don't think the boat's the problem.
I wasn't suggesting that... it's just helpful to know what type/size of boat is under discussion - it can make a difference to techniques and options.

The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
doug1957 (09-22-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.