Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013

Johnnycatt is on a distinguished road
on-board electronic inter-communications

ok.. I know bikers use some kind of helmet mounted communication system when they ride in a "pack."

My question is does anyone know any headset that 3 peolpe can use to communicate on the boat when "screaming" just doesn't work???

I was hoping someone could turn me on to a system that has all 3 microphones "open" at all times - so, no buttons to push, just talk and everyone hears what you say...

I've done a little research, but I don't know if I need "full-duplex" or "two-way" or both or neither or whatever...

just chime right in with pictures, reviews, posts, links, laughter, whatever!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: on-board electronic inter-communications

I'm only familiar with fairly popular models that have two headsets. Easily found on google. I assume 3 are possible. However, I think they are voice activated, meaning when you speak you are keying the mics electronically and canceling out reception. With more people on that program, you'll probably step on each other continuously.

I prefer hand signals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-22-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

John--

For the last 8-9 years we have been using Cruising Solution Headsets. These are sold in pairs but can be set up so that several headsets use the same frequencies. They are really quite excellent pieces of gear that we have been very happy with, fair weather or foul.

Good Luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-22-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

John-
You are looking for headsets that have "VOX" aka "voice activated transmission". As long as all three are on the same frequency, any time one transmits the other two will hear it. If you of you start speaking at once, you'll hear gibberish. And you need to get in the habit of "um" and "ah"ing when you start to speak because even the best of them will cut off the initial bit of speech, making it hard to understand unless to give them something to get started with.

Good quality costs money in this stuff. There's a lot to say for hand signals.
Old 09-22-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

They're using multi-user systems on the AC72's racing at the moment but I don't think I'd be comfortable with those crash helmets with the phone booth on the back.

And I'll suggest they're not available from West Marine for a few dollars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke