Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you store excess energy?

Well I guess I am in the problem area. I have 400 watts of tiltable solar with 674 amp hours of battery capacity. At times like this, it is sunny in Grenada just now, I will be fully charged by mid day and the charge controller will be in dump mode.

There have been times I would run my Spectra watermaker on days like this but the running costs exceed the cost of buying water so all those lovely amps are going to waste.

Not much point in heating water as a solar shower gets too hot too use in a couple of hours.

Well I know of one popular solution, turn the fridge up and get the beer REALLY cold.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I 'burn' my 'excess' the old fashioned way.

I use it.

I turn on my inverter and make ice, I top off PC's, phones, etc and then use them. Afternoon's are specifically when plan to do things that are energy intensive because (currently) I have the excess.
Old 09-23-2013

allio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Why the hell would you double the spend on solar panels? Have you priced them? Bloody expensive! And you want to double them so you have too much electricity?

And where are you going to put them? On a monohull you are starved for space. A cat has more space above the hard bimini.

If someone spends $3,000 on renewable energy you would wonder why they would spend another $3,000 for 'excess'??

I'd prefer to spend the other $3,000 on restaurants with hot chics in sleazy parts of the world.

Mark
Reading the following posts I'm guessing there's quite a few people out there who've done exactly what I said.

I regularly see boats on yachtworld with 3-400 watts solar and a wind genny with setups below decks that don't have a huge energy drain. I have to presume that that was a conscious choice.

I understand that installing solar could be expensive, but if you've already installed 200w with all the extra kit required to make it work, bumping it up by an extra 200w isn't going to double the cost or run anywhere near another 3k!!!!

Hear me ROAR
Old 09-23-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with Mark - spend the money on a lavish lifestyle - the batteries will be just fine.

Gary
Old 09-23-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

You could always just add another battery to your bank to store the excess energy.
Old 09-23-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
You could always just add another battery to your bank to store the excess energy.
There again space can be an issue.
I wanted 2 x 200 amp hour expandable to 3 x 200; but I can only fit the 165 amp hours in and dont think I can fit the third.
I could put the extra battery in the lazarette where I keep the gasoline gerry...............

LOLOL

I like the extra ice idea best
Old 09-23-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

My solar generally goes into "trickle" mode about 11AM. I doubt that it produces enough to operate the element for the water heater, but they do make a 12 volt element for your 110 vac water heater which is set up as the "dump" for the windgens.
When the time (and money) comes, I will add a windgen to my system in order to run a 12 volt refer system. I will need to double my battery bank to capture the extra energy and efficiently run the refer system and if I find I still have an excess, I will change out the 110 vac water heater element for the 12 volt one, because I won't be running the gene for anything other than the watermaker and/or A/C, anymore. Since we ran the engine less than 15 hours in 3000 miles of inter island sailing last year, we're not getting a whole lot of hot water from that source.
Having larger than what someone on here thinks is adequate solar panels is not necessarily a bad thing for those days when one doesn't have 100% sunlight all day. My philosophy on solar is get the largest you can comfortably fit aboard (see pic for an easy installation on the bimini; notice they do not lay on the bimini, but shimmed to have air passing under them for cooling). Unless you want to constantly change the angle of your panels (as some do) you do not get full charge out of them more than several hours a day. Mine tilt slightly forward so in an easterly wind (the norm in the Caribbean) I get the most energy in the AM. They still produce current, sometimes as much as an amp around sunset, but nowhere near the 20 amps of mid-morning. Two years of using my solar and I'm sincerely happy that I opted to go with solar before a windgen. There are so many cheap, inferior and NOISY windgens out there that must make living with them nearly intolerable for those aboard and definitely a supreme irritant for those they anchor amongst.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store excess energy?-ss-crew.jpg