Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Another missed approach at Barnegat Inlet...

On an average day my belief is that Barnegat isn't so bad to run. it's wide, and though the channel is narrow, the inlet itself is runable for most boats. I'd say that as a cautionary statement relying on local knowledge. I myself regulary ran the inlet outside of the channel. brave as i could be in my 18 foot Boston Whaler. Still, i never registered anything below 6 feet at low tide. Most was above 10. Just sayin, it's not so narrow for those who know it.

On the flip side crank up the wind from the east and she has quite a different temperment. Ah, i'm not going out there! Still, if given the hard choice - run Barnegat in bad weather or run the inlet immediately to it's south, I'm going with Barnegat. Holgate, Great Egg inlet whatever it is named these days is a shoaled up monster! And not so calm in NE winds. I've taken that same BW, I stand six feet tall behind the center console, many times thru that inlet. Looking up at incoming swells, can't see over them, deep troughs, short period, in the inlet, time to find someplace else to drift fish for stripers! We have a rule, once the fish is boated we don't want it throwing up because its sea sick! Why does jersey have so many nasty inlets?

Last edited by TJC45; 09-23-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, I saw that as well, but have a hard time picturing how that is possible, how he would have wound up where he did, given the conditions that night...

The breeze where I was that day (about 15 miles north of the inlet, on Barnegat Bay) was straight out of the south all day, and clocking a bit towards the SW in advance of the front... Once the front arrived, it blew right out of the W, then NW the following morning...

Unless the wind was more ESE - E down there before the front arrived, I can't see how he could have possibly dragged into that corner where the North jetty meets the beach...

yeah, kinda looks like he screwed the pooch while trying to run it.

If so, not the first and unfortunately, not the last.
Old 09-23-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Could happen to anybody.....
Dfok likes this.
Old 09-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
I believe he was out, and the anchored dragged or something.
While I realize anything posted on Facebook is rarely in error, given the conditions on Saturday, I just don't see how it was possible for him to have dragged anchor into that position... Indeed, I can't imagine trying to anchor out there that night, to begin with...

Here is the wind history on Saturday from Ambrose, the closest offshore reporting station to Barnegat... By nightfall off Barnegat, the seas would have easily been running 4 feet, minimum, and only continuing to build through the night... Clearly, anyone choosing to attempt to anchor out there that night, rather than simply heaving-to on starboard tack, obviously hasn't a clue what heaving-to means...

Marine Buoy Forecast | Weather Underground

My hunch - assuming he was southbound - was that he became frightened by the thunderstorm activity that was occurring after midnight preceding the arrival of the front, and obviously blew his approach...

Again - assuming he was originally intending to continue south along the coast - it's a real pity he didn't just park it for a few hours... By daylight, he would have had absolutely picture-perfect conditions for a ride down the beach, a nice WNW - NW breeze in flat water... One couldn't possibly ask for more perfect day for sailing down the Jersey coast than Sunday...

The Coasties out of Barnegat had more action today, a 31-foot fishing boat capsized about 8 miles east of the inlet this morning... These guys were VERY lucky...

http://www.app.com/article/20130923/...Barnegat-Light

jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 09-23-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Is it just me or does that look like a writeoff? There looks to be some heavy hull damage - cracks above the WL etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It seems like a lot of boats have gone up on those same rocks over the years. It's a dangerous spot. The best thing to do going into Barnegat (if there IS a best:-) is to stay well clear of the jetties, approach dead-on and be ready for a protracted effort to stay in the narrow channel without being drawn into the rocks on the north side or the shoal on the left....eek. Barnegat has well earned its bad reputation.
Having been in and out of Barnegat over 50 times there is no way to "come down the center" between the jetties. The channel forces you to the north. Rock jetty very close because the inlet is shoaled over 2/3 across halfway into the jetties to the rear of the inlet. After coming in next to the north jetty you must execute a hard 90 degree dogleg to port and traverse the rear inlet perpendicular to it to "safety" At that point you meet Gods example of playing Jacks. No less than 12 red and green buoys of various shapes and size are thrown down together for you to ponder and figure out which is the channel. A mistake is met with a hard grounding in 1 foot of water.

Barneget is not for a novice and and experienced sailor should definaely pass it when conditions are not good or iffy like a front or NE or E wind. Which create large breakers rolling across the inlet and channel possibly throwing you on the inside jetty rocks in the Inlet.

Not a inlet I old ever run at night even with my many times through it. Makes no sense anchoring in the ocean. Even less heaving too in this area as the shoals go out 2 miles on either side creating breakers.

As DAve said....when in doubt....head out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 09-23-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Not a inlet I old ever run at night even with my many times through it. Makes no sense anchoring in the ocean. Even less heaving too in this area as the shoals go out 2 miles on either side creating breakers.
"2 miles" might be stretching it a bit... :-)

Old 09-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
"2 miles" might be stretching it a bit... :-)

Not really.

Your picture is a calm day. It also doest go far enough north along the beach. The breakers look much different with some more wind especially from the E or NE. I looked at my notes from transiting this inlet many times. On the north side of the inlet the water is 27 ft or shallower out about 1.45 miles from the beach. On days with an ebb and a E or NE wind the breakers start out here. It's isn't a shoal per say of 3 ft, but one of shallower water vs the run from deeper water and the distance it shallows which build these rollers.

An Army Corp of Enginer hydrologist explained to be that there also is an especially strong littoral current running N/S on the side areas adjacent to the inlet. This helps deposit the sand. Another reason for not "cutting the corner" on entering Barnegt Inlet.

From the north I try and go from the R2 ocean buoy to the BI buoy and face and see the back of the inlet lining up the 4 red/ green markers before i start in. I don't short cut to any of them.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-24-2013
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Is it just me or does that look like a writeoff? There looks to be some heavy hull damage - cracks above the WL etc.
That'll buff out, it's fine.
Old 09-24-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Having been in and out of Barnegat over 50 times there is no way to "come down the center" between the jetties. The channel forces you to the north. Rock jetty very close because the inlet is shoaled over 2/3 across halfway into the jetties to the rear of the inlet. After coming in next to the north jetty you must execute a hard 90 degree dogleg to port and traverse the rear inlet perpendicular to it to "safety" At that point you meet Gods example of playing Jacks. No less than 12 red and green buoys of various shapes and size are thrown down together for you to ponder and figure out which is the channel. A mistake is met with a hard grounding in 1 foot of water.

Barneget is not for a novice and and experienced sailor should definaely pass it when conditions are not good or iffy like a front or NE or E wind. Which create large breakers rolling across the inlet and channel possibly throwing you on the inside jetty rocks in the Inlet.

As DAve said....when in doubt....head out.
By coming down the center means the center of the channel, of course. There is a tendency for the current to push you to the north, toward the jetty. Staying center is essential if there is a sea running because it always throws you around a bit.

One positive feature of Barnegat is the great little anchorage up past the CG station, back in the little bay (I forget the name) by the commercial docks.

The idea of heaving-to is an open ocean strategy with no threatening lee shore. Anchoring in the ocean??? Not an option... maybe a Hail Mary. The lesson here is that picking weather windows is of utmost importance in places like the Jersey stretch and being forced to go into an unfamiliar inlet in bad conditions is not a good idea. There are NO good options if caught along there in the wrong conditions.

On the north side of the entrance, there IS plenty of water just outside the end of the jetty, around 15' if I remember right. You just can't try to cut inside. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would try to do that anyway. It's not necessary to go all the way out around the outside buoy if approaching from the north.

Last edited by smurphny; 09-24-2013 at 06:18 AM.