Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Best sailing spots of the world?

I'll put a plug in for my back yard: Lake Superior's north shore. Sure it's cold, and the continental winds make it a challenging place to sail, but for remoteness and sheer geographic beauty, it's hard to beat. You can do mult-day passages or gunkhole all along. Best of all, there are very few cruisers out here. Outside of a few urban areas (and "urban" is a relative concept here) you can go for days or weeks without seeing another boat.

You've got to be self-sufficient, and enjoy your own company, but if you're into true wilderness cruising Superior is a little-travelled gem.
LaurenceU and jimkyle99 like this.
Old 09-24-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i learned on hidson river--awesome gorgeous place to sail and explore...
caribean has won my heart--is why i sail south so much and not so much north--lol-i enjoyed my month there and want more!
gulf of mexico was fun--lots of places with bayous to explore and visit-good seafood and fine travelling---weather was not able to be predicted accurately, but if one stays out about 60 miles, much of tampas fun and light shows can be avoided. good winds most of the time--many times way too much wind for a sloop--i cannot wait to get my ketch to that side of this land mass-

southewest mexico is awesome--even has winds on occasion....banderas bay is a nice year round sailing spot, with some protection for many named storms--as long as no direct hits, it is ok....
i like the bahias south of cabo corrientes, mexico--in winter is perfect, and in summer---can sail between storms--kind of until august, when the monsoonal trough rides mexicos coast--after that trough drops southward, as it is now, it is good sailing here again--and barra de navidad is a decent place to wait out the stormy season---storms ar eonly forming here--no big winds yet and lots of rain for the beautiful green and lush tropical plants and trees.
zihuatenejo is awesome--is a little bumpy when swell comes in from south, but, normally, in winter there are nw swells so it is perfect from christmas thru mid feb. -- and isla grande just north of zihuat is almost like caribean with brain coral and clear water --turquoise, even--lovely places--many coves between cabo corrientes and acapulco to go into and explore....
and there is more i have yet to find!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Eastern Caribbean and that is why I am here. There is almost always wind and I prefer sailing to motoring. The temp rarely drops below 80f and that is the sea temp. You do not have to worry much about tides. The islands are a day sail apart and often offer startling contrasts of culture.

It is good out here.
chall03 likes this.
Old 09-24-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

San Francisco - if you like cold, wet, lots of wind. Great racing.
San Diego - if you like fairly consistently warm weather and light wind. Great lighter air racing.
Chesapeake Bay - Incredible number of places to go and a lot of history. Variable weather with hot, cold, calm, storms, and everything in between. Summer cruisers better not mind heat. Very few places as sailing oriented as Annapolis.
Newport RI area - Crowded harbors, but great historic towns and usually a good ocean breeze. Amazing boats there in season.
Maine - Great scenery and endless places to go in season. Frigging COLD outside of summer.
BVIs - Consistent winds and perfect tropical anchorages all compressed in a small area. You do get overrrun with charter boats in season though.

Old 09-24-2013

khammett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
San Francisco - if you like cold, wet, lots of wind. Great racing.
San Diego - if you like fairly consistently warm weather and light wind. Great lighter air racing.

I agree!
Old 09-24-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Barnegat Bay. Ok you've all read the recent Missed Approach thread. This place is a bit more of a challenge than it appears. It has reliable winds, plenty of gunkholing and it doesn't take a six hour plane ride or ten day boat ride to reach it! It puts ocean sailing easily within reach, so trips to places like Block Island, Newport, Atlantic City and the Delmarva are within reasonable sailing distance for over night adventures. Lastly, the water quality is good. It's been under seige lately but most of the bay is still very clean. It sits just north of one of the cleanest estuaries in the country, The Mullica River Basin. Though Barnegat is not exotic it definitely makes my telltales stand on end!!!

Last edited by TJC45; 09-24-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Lake Huron's North Channel is fabulous...for 3 months of the year.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Old 09-24-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Where ever I'm sailing at....
Old 09-24-2013

tms1226 is on a distinguished road

I have sailed on Boston Harbor for half my life and love everything about it. Interesting Islands close by as well as the Marblehead / Salem area and Gloucester to the north. I find the immediate South shore less interesting. A days sail to and thru to the cape Cod Canal leads to many interesting places like Buzzards bay and Cuttyhunk Island (I really dislike going through the canal in all honesty).
Old 09-24-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

One of the world's best sailing spots would have to be the Whitsunday Islands, North Queensland, Australia. ..at least it was about 20 years ago, before everyone found out about it.

One of the world's worst sailing spots would have to be Port Phillip, Victoria, Australia. ..on most days of the year, but particularly in a sou'wester when winds straight from Antarctic wastelands raise a nasty 2-3m steep-sided chop.
chall03 likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 09-24-2013 at 10:05 PM.