Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Best sailing spots of the world?

As TQA says, it's pretty tough to beat the Eastern Caribbean, there's good reason why it is one of the premier destinations for the world's superyachts... Only real downsides can be the crowds, and the high cost of most everything...

One of my favorites for pure sailing, not mentioned yet, would have to be Belize... The protection offered by the reef, the opportunities to sail in brisk breezes in flat water are remarkable.

One of my more memorable day sails in recent years is pictured below, reaching for mile after mile south of Tobacco Range in 18-20 knots, within 100-200 meters of the reef, in flat calm water, not another boat in sight... For pure sailing pleasure, it's tough to beat something like that...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

I have been lucky enough to live in California and Washington, which means I have sailed extensively on San Francisco Bay and now Puget Sound. I think Puget Sound has anywhere in the nation beat for shear area of navigable inland waterways (including water ways of our northern sailing buddies in BC). I wish our weather was like Southern California though.
Faster and mattt like this.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 09-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Can't believe it took three pages to get to the PNW!!

We've done St Maarten to Barbuda and down to Grenada with most places in between in the Eastern Caribbean and it's pretty awesome, but even it can't hold a candle to cruising BC waters in good summer weather. More good anchorages, variety of scenery, refreshing swimming, fresh water lakes, quiet nights, solitude if you want it, the list goes on.

I enjoy the tropics, love the trades but find the heat relentless and after a couple of weeks I'm ready for some moderate/cooler weather. We do sail year round but it does take some serious gear, and some fortitude to tough out the cold rain at times.. so the warmer destinations don't have that issue.. still, in summer, hard to beat BC.

I guess everybody likes their own back yard
copacabana, Ol'H34, delite and 1 others like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-25-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Jon, two questions:

What kind of boat do you have and where haven't you sailed???

BTW, that pic of sailing behind the reef in Belize is just amazing.
Old 09-25-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I have actually been amazed at the lengths some people go to sail in what looks like a total crap location to me. The urge is strong in some people.

Two places I have been that were total sailing letdowns were Hawaii and Florida.
Hawaii - almost no good harbors. Sailing TO there might be interesting, but sailing AROUND there has many issues.

Flordia - SOME of Florida is very nice, but where I went to flight school in Melbourne was not so hot for sailing. You could go up and down the narrow and very stinky ICW or go a long way to get out in the ocean and then.... be out in the ocean until you turn around and come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I guess everybody likes their own back yard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2013

Freerider is on a distinguished road

I've only sailed Georgian Bay (2 days), BVI's (10 days) and the BC coast (2 years).

Although i do love the tropics and plan to spend this winter in them, there's just something about BC. There are endless isolated places to go and the scenery is unreal.

Mild winter's and 40ft of fresh powder aren't tough to handle either.
Old 09-25-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

It seems everyone raves about about the sailing in the Pacific Northwest. After seeing Faster's photos it has moved up a few notches on my sailing bucket list, and this in spite of the fact that I absolutely HATE cold water!!
Old 09-25-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I've only had a small taste of the PWN, having sailed for a week out of Vancouver, heading north. But it was amazing. I hope to end up there in a few years. But in many ways it reminds me of Lake Superior's north shore. If you ignore those big pointy mountains the two are quite similar in character and remoteness. The main difference is that Superior is only sailable for about 6 months of the year (which is the main reason we're leaving).
Old 09-25-2013

DJames is on a distinguished road

I'll take Phan Nga Bay out of Phuket, Thailand. Island after island, anchor off shore and dinghy in to a different Thai restaurant every night. Beautiful water and extremely safe.
Old 09-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Jon, two questions:

What kind of boat do you have and where haven't you sailed???
It's called a Chance 30-30, designed by Britton Chance and built by Allied Boat Company back in 1970. Mine is actually Hull #1, was originally named BOOMERANG, and had a very successful racing record, was a very competitive boat in her day... I've customized her to quite an extent, completely gutted and rebuilt the interior, and she now makes for a pretty decent little cruising boat, with good sailing performance... Now, if I could only stretch her out to 36-38' feet, or so... :-)

Nah, there are plenty of places I haven't sailed yet, but I have been lucky to have had the opportunity to get to some pretty cool places over time... As Mark first said, pretty much anywhere you go can be a great cruising ground, but I tried to tailor my response to those places that have particularly great SAILING... The Andaman Sea of Thailand, for example, has to be one of the finest cruising grounds anywhere, but I found the sailing during the brief time I was there to be pretty disappointing. Of course, we were trying to see as much as we could over the course of 10 days, but we still had to motor pretty much everywhere, the times of good sailing were really few and far between...

Here's a couple more from Belize... This was a fish camp on one of the outer cays, the remote feeling of some of these spots is impressive...

This is on Cay Caulker, by far my favorite settlement in Belize, I hung out here for about a week... Wonderful, laid back spot...

Unfortunately, I won't be returning to Belize again, there have been some changes for the worse since I was down there... They've instituted a cruising fee structure, randomly and haphazardly enforced, but which can make the cost of staying there for long very expensive... Massive fines have also been assessed for even minor damage to reefs, seems obvious they have little compunction about ripping off cruisers, and sounds like many have bailed on Belize in favor of the Bay Islands, instead... in addition, there have been some recent security issues in Belize, which until recently had been considered an extremely safe cruising ground...

BTW, I'm somewhat familiar with your sailing grounds, I've been to Angra and out to Ilha Grande, what a beautiful place, the sailing there has to be wonderful... I've been to Rio numerous times, shooting several F1 races back when the Brazil GP was run at Jacarapagua, and then all the IndyCar races they ran down there subsequently... I loved going to Rio, my trips to Brazil were always one of my favorites each year, but after F1 moved to Sao Paulo, not quite so much, I'm afraid :-)
copacabana likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 09-26-2013 at 08:22 AM.