SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Best sailing spots of the world? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104007-best-sailing-spots-world.html)

khammett 09-23-2013 01:16 PM

Best sailing spots of the world?

Where in the world is your favorite to sail?

Tim R. 09-23-2013 01:20 PM

Re: Best sailing spots of the world?

I have sailed the following areas:

BVIs, Grenadines, Abacos, Buzzards Bay, LIS, Maine. I will take Maine over the others any day.

LinekinBayCD 09-23-2013 02:17 PM

Chesapeke, BVI's, Buzzards Bay, Naraganset Bay, and Maine on my resume. Maine is by far my first choice.

copacabana 09-23-2013 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to say that there are so many beautiful places to sail in the world, but I keep coming back to my backyard- Angra dos Reis, Ilha Grande and Paraty on the coast of Rio and thinking ... this is the nicest cruising ground I know. It's full of little islands, coves, bays and beaches. There are high mountains, jungle, waterfalls, beautiful beaches and lots of unexplored areas. You can sail year-round (winter days are in the mid to high 20s and cool at night) and there are no hurricanes in the South Atlantic. What more could one ask for?

MarkofSeaLife 09-23-2013 03:46 PM

I've been round the world and everywhere is great!

emcentar 09-23-2013 05:43 PM

I'm only just started with my sailing travels but here's my wish list: (1) Turkey, (2) Croatia, (3) Galapagos, and (4) Sicily.

Every time I travel to Turkey I am consumed with envy for everyone in a sailboat when I'm on a ferry. It's so beautiful there. The others are places I just haven't been to yet.

Seaduction 09-23-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copacabana (Post 1092740)
I have to say that there are so many beautiful places to sail in the world, but I keep coming back to my backyard- Angra dos Reis, Ilha Grande and Paraty on the coast of Rio and thinking ... this is the nicest cruising ground I know. It's full of little islands, coves, bays and beaches. There are high mountains, jungle, waterfalls, beautiful beaches and lots of unexplored areas. You can sail year-round (winter days are in the mid to high 20s and cool at night) and there are no hurricanes in the South Atlantic. What more could one ask for?

That's good if you're talking Celsius.:)

copacabana 09-23-2013 08:10 PM

Yes, Celsius of course. :) Th only drawback to winter is the sea is a bit chilly for me (about 23c/74f).

DonScribner 09-23-2013 08:14 PM

Oh, I've sailed in 40 degrees, Farenheit, and I thought 20 was pushing it. Maine, but nothing to gauge by.

SVAuspicious 09-24-2013 05:09 AM

Clearly a personal choice, and the OP's question allows us to pick more than one!

My own preferences for good sailing, good gunkholing, and good stops are Chesapeake Bay, Long Island Sound, the BVI, the Abacos, and the Solent. There is a lot of the world I have yet to sail ...