Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Constant State of Readiness

Good afternoon to you all;

I am due to do an offshore overnighter tomorrow less NOAA tells me otherwise so today before work I decided to do a thorough cleaning. This got me to wondering:
how often do you all clean your boats? Do you consider cleanliness to be apart of readiness in that you cant lift anchor, unmoor, or cast off at a moments notice.

I clean my boat twice weekly with a complete cleaning biweekly (taking things out of lockers, clorox bleach wipes on every surface, engine wipe down and deck wash)

My particular vessel is always kept at a constant state of readiness. Within 5 minutes the boat could be put underway to voyage anywhere the skipper deems worthy and or practicle.

What is the prevailing situations with you all? I see a lot of live aboard boats that would need atleast a day to prepare maybe two not including provisioning. 8 also see lots of often used but seldom cleaned vessels. I suppose a taught ship and clean ship are not one in the same for some.

What of your vessels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Constant State of Readiness

When I finally get a boat it will be kept like yours, always ready to go in a moments notice. I admire that.

I wish you'd post some pictures of you boat in general and god luck tonight.

I always enjoy your posts !!
Old 09-23-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

We've been searching everywhere for that deflatable maid. No luck yet. She cleans for an hour or two a day, then pissst, she deflates and is stored in a locker somewhere.
Wouldn't it be nice. Cleaning is a necessary part of maintenance, but I don't know of a cruising boat that is kept as clean as the charter yachts or any vessel with a professional crew.
Most of us would prefer to go snorkeling, exploring ashore or just relaxing after completing the normal maintenance and breakdowns most of us have on a regular basis.
There is a huge difference in time utilization between a live aboard, especially on the dock, and a voyaging cruiser.
Old 09-23-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Beyond cleaning the bottom ever two weeks which i am rather obsessive about i have a saltwater pump for bird POO and then there is rain which gives it a good rinse at least once a week

The boat is leak free and well organized so it is always Ready to sail as soon as we get all the covers off

This is about as bad as it ever gets and myself and the wife have been at it so long its no more complex that getting out of bed in the AM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 09-23-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
................... taking things out of lockers, clorox bleach wipes on every surface ...............
Amazing! I've a spare parts locker that has had items removed and added, but never emptied and wiped with chlorox or anything else since 1985! ....and I'm always ready to be underway in fifteen minutes! I can think of three lockers that I only open about once every three thousand miles of cruising! Man, I could have spiders the size of hamsters running around in my bildge, but it hasn't slowed me down!
davidpm likes this.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 09-23-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Ready to sail, yes. Ready to eat off the decks, well, um......no. Obsessive cleaning of stuff is not one of the things anywhere on my priority list:-)
Old 09-23-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Good afternoon to you all;

I am due to do an offshore overnighter tomorrow less NOAA tells me otherwise so today before work I decided to do a thorough cleaning. This got me to wondering:
how often do you all clean your boats? Do you consider cleanliness to be apart of readiness in that you cant lift anchor, unmoor, or cast off at a moments notice.

I clean my boat twice weekly with a complete cleaning biweekly (taking things out of lockers, clorox bleach wipes on every surface, engine wipe down and deck wash)

My particular vessel is always kept at a constant state of readiness. Within 5 minutes the boat could be put underway to voyage anywhere the skipper deems worthy and or practicle.

What is the prevailing situations with you all? I see a lot of live aboard boats that would need atleast a day to prepare maybe two not including provisioning. 8 also see lots of often used but seldom cleaned vessels. I suppose a taught ship and clean ship are not one in the same for some.

What of your vessels?
Sounds a bit OCD to me.

I spend a significant part of the year in the hurricane belt and keep the boat ready to go at 6 hours notice. That means I pay attention to water in tanks full fuel tank and vittles for at least a week in reserve including kitten food.

If I had to go I would not be worried about bleach washing countertops.

I would be worried that my charts for my hurricane holes were current and my GPS had the relevant way points pre programmed in.
vega1860 likes this.
Old 09-23-2013

sailmatthew is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailmatthew Send a message via Skype™ to sailmatthew

IMHO, there's not wrong with obsessive cleaning, but everything is a matter of deciding this or that--to clean or sail, spend time with kids, swim, etc. My boat is pretty clean, but not necessarily ready for inspection.
jerryrlitton likes this.
Old 09-24-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Just as long as it takes to warm up the engine.

In an emergency, we could be under way in ten minutes. While the engine is warming up loose gear is being stowed in the cabin and the cover is coming off the mainsail. At the moment, the jib is in it's bag. We would hank that on after the lines and fenders are stowed as we exit the harbor.

We always stop at the fuel dock and top off on arrival in port so the fuel tank is always full and we keep plenty of food on board at all times. As we have a water maker, a full water tank is less critical but we could top that off in about fifteen minutes.

In short, if we got a wild hair, we could depart for just about anywhere in less than 30 minutes. An hour would give us time to run to the market and grab some fresh fruits and veggies.

We try to keep things neat and seamanlike, but operating room cleanliness is not high on the preparedness checklist.

Old 09-24-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Hey Vega, I love your youtube stuff, it was one reason I took an interest in learning how to sail !!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.