Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Maritime Services - PanCanal.com

Am I reading this right, there is a minimum $800 toll for boats under 50 feet?
zeehag likes this.
Old 09-27-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

panama canal is not cheap. it is the base price of i think 800 usd for under 50 ft plus handlers plus advisor plus food for same and lines and fenders....plus breakdowns and such....and the 2 day fee for slow boats....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Well that is just dandy. Another thing on the list I will probably never do.
Old 09-27-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Compare to the time and money to go AROUND South America and it isn't that bad plus way warmer than Cape Horn.
jimgo likes this.

Old 09-27-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
panama canal is not cheap. it is the base price of i think 800 usd for under 50 ft plus handlers plus advisor plus food for same and lines and fenders....plus breakdowns and such....and the 2 day fee for slow boats....
The $800 includes the advisor fee. From the Atlantic side at least, the standard is a two day transit. They leave you tied to a giant mooring in Gatun Lake. You need the lines, fenders, and handlers but usually can organize and share among other cruisers. You also need to pay a deposit ($700?) in case you break their canal. Takes about three weeks to get this back. Overall it is not that big a deal.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 09-27-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Lots of advice from people who don't know the boat and haven't made the trip or a similar one. Bravado is no substitute for preparation and seaworthiness. A very tired, very old boat with an outboard is no way for an inexperienced sailor to start a long voyage. People have survived rowing the Atlantic. Sometimes they get lucky. It doesn't make them smart.
Old 09-28-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
Lots of advice from people who don't know the boat and haven't made the trip or a similar one. Bravado is no substitute for preparation and seaworthiness. A very tired, very old boat with an outboard is no way for an inexperienced sailor to start a long voyage. People have survived rowing the Atlantic. Sometimes they get lucky. It doesn't make them smart.
one need not have done this trip in that exact boat to know if it can be done. i am still doing that very trip in a slightly larger boat, yes, but i do meet souls doing it in islander 26-30. catalina 27-30, columbia 26 mII with outboard, cal 28-34, ericson 26, ericson 27, and other smaller boats. they are digging the ride and having the times of their lives.
for the most part, south of point conception when weather permits, the seas behave fairly well. yes they still can be large, but the southerly swells are gentle with a normal timing of 11-15 seconds, depending. i have counted 21 seconds occasionally on good days in south west mexico, south of lazaro cardenas. normal swell in winter months is 1-2 meters with timing approx 15-21 seconds. niiiice n smooth. a baby can swim it, if the crocs dont eat it.
i drift a lot on `pacific ocean. it is nice to be able to just drift and see the sealife and shipping when there is some, and other stuff going on about the ocean.
yes a small lil islander sailboat with a mebbe reliable engine can do the trip. it has been done in lesser boats.
he prolly wont die. if he knows how to sail. if he doesnt, he will soon know a lot about sailing.
what i find interesting is the souls who do not know the pacific ocean who post as if they sailed it

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Last edited by zeehag; 09-28-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Scottie55,

I have not seen any one bring it up yet. The big challenge to your idea is crossing the Gulf of Tehuantepec. It's advisable for small boats (our size) to take it, "one foot on the beach". That is close to shore. Make sure to cross ONLY during good weather as advised by the marina area you start the crossing from. It's a long trip of many days, but the water is shallow and with the predominate winds you might be able to anchor some nights (OPEN WATER / road stead ANCHORING) for a bit of rest.

But I also have to say, it would most likely cost less to ship the boat than to prep it for an adventure like that.

Good luck on what ever decision you go with.

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 09-28-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Gosh Mark, I understand your concern but I don't see how attacking the honor of a mans keister is relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
Any boat with waterline longer than 14 ft has hull speed over 5 knots in displacement mode.
Right-t-oh. Off ya go then.

Those that 'a neva been thru know whats going on. I'll stand to the background.

Mark
Tim Newman likes this.

Old 09-28-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

The overland distance is about 2700 miles. If you were to walk, you could get there in about 135 days and use the time and money you'd save to buy a new boat when you arrive. If you leave tomorrow, you'd get to Miami in time for the Presidents Day sheet and towel sales

Tags
california , caribbean , florida , panama canal , singlehanded

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.